R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ RC View Post
Hi all Iím in a similar situation to Zerodefect been away from racing and looking to get back into it with a b44 and race stock engine class

This is the set up Iím considering

Chassis: B44
Motor: LRP Vector X-11 Stock Spec (17.5T) or Novak SS17.5 Pro Brushless
ESC: LRP Sphere Competition (should I get TC Spec?)
Battery: Trakpower saddle packs (with Re-designed B44 Lipo braces)
Servo: JR Z9100S Digital Ultra Hi-Speed Surface Servo
Receiver: Spektrum SR3100 (because I have a DX3R I use for my Baja SS)

Please give me some advice on this set up, suggest some hop ups for the Chassis, gearing to start with and some optional gearing etc

Thanks
That's a how i would do it. Although i suggest getting the novak motor to accompany the sphere competition. It's a awesome combo.

I know i will get flamed for this but i wouldn't get the tc spec even though you are useing it in a 4wd. It's honestly not needed. the normal one is smoother and less punchy and considering you plan to run a 17.5 its more equipped to run like 3.5's and 4.5's.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

thanks rb five

Should I get the TC if Im looking at a 6.5 or somthing like that for latter down the track?
CJ RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Hold on a second.........why are u thinking about putting a 17.5 motor in? Thats the brushless version of a stock motor! Is there even a stock class for 4wd. Every track I've looked at runs 4wd mod only. No 4wd stock.

We have 2wd stock and mod (cars and trucks). Then 4wd mod. Any battery motor combo we can fit under the body of a standard 4wd buggy is fine by our rules.

Anyway, just got most of my kit together. Laying out the electronics and getting the body to fit nice on the B44 is a real bear. Rather than use the velcro tab things on the chassis, I used velcro along the underbody sides to hold the body snug. Should keep it quite ( I hate that body rattle sound some cars make).
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Yes there is a class where I am im not in the US
Old 05-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #20
Tech Regular

I need to order some pinion gears its important someone knows a starting point for me I have no idea where to start
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
thanks rb five

Should I get the TC if Im looking at a 6.5 or somthing like that for latter down the track?
I use the normal 07 comp with a 7.5 orion in my lazer zx-5 sp and it has tons of rip with a very smooth feel on the trigger. You could get the tc spec but in off road it's really not needed unless your runing on like carpet or pavement i don't think it's nessecary.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
I need to order some pinion gears its important someone knows a starting point for me I have no idea where to start
They have the gear sets, I believe robinson brand, that sell the gears in even and odd lots. 6 in each.

Your best bet is to buy each set, there not expensive, and adjust as necessary. The track where I run, with my current set up, just changing one tooth on the pinion can raise or lower my motor and esc temps by 10 degrees.

If you just buy one or two pinions it can be hit or miss and a pain in the a$$. If you have them all its easier and you only pay for shipping once.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

As for a starting point? I have not seen anyone run a stock motor in 4wd.

I have run 21/84 with a 10.5 for a very short while, so I would have to guess for a stock motor 23t, 24t. But as I said its a good guess, to start.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have only seen people try the MM and take it out quickly, a few people tried them in the B44 and didnt like it. There is a huge difference in sensored and unsensored and some tracks wont allow them unless your running the MM in a converted buggy. I run novak stuff and love it. I also recommend getting spectrum gear also. And I only run KO servos in my electric and nitro stuff, and if you look on their site they have refurb servos like 1/2 price just to let you know. I bought new ones before and I bought 1 or 2 refurbished too and cant tell a difference. I recommend you to get the fastest response time on your servo as you can and at bare minimum 100 oz of torque.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik View Post
I have only seen people try the MM and take it out quickly, a few people tried them in the B44 and didnt like it. There is a huge difference in sensored and unsensored and some tracks wont allow them unless your running the MM in a converted buggy. I run novak stuff and love it. I also recommend getting spectrum gear also. And I only run KO servos in my electric and nitro stuff, and if you look on their site they have refurb servos like 1/2 price just to let you know. I bought new ones before and I bought 1 or 2 refurbished too and cant tell a difference. I recommend you to get the fastest response time on your servo as you can and at bare minimum 100 oz of torque.
Yea i wouldn't use a mambamax either....

Thanks for the tips on the servo's though, I have been useing jr9000s' and i really wanna try some KO's as i have heard some great things about them. What model's do you sggest ?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run I belive the 2123 in my t4 in my truggy I run the 2144 steering and the 2343 for throttle. The 2 I named that end in 3 have the same exact specs, KO seems to make new ones very often but since they last for ever they they have support for their "discontinued models" for up to like 15 years after their discontinued. Try them you wont be dissappointed at all.
malik is offline   Reply With Quote