Losi xxx-4

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

SlobbaTech knows!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone have the Losi part number for "outdrive savers"? I've broke 2 outdrives now and I've noticed that some of the other guys have mentioned outdrive savers to prevent it from happening again.... if anyone has a p/n I'd really appreciate it!

Btw, if anyone in the Illinois/Kentucky/Missouri region hasn't heard already 4WD is picking up big time at Redline RC! 3 weeks in a row with 6-8 4 wheelers! More showing up every week too.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Are there any manufacturers who make Mounted Foam Tires for the XXX4 for Indoor Carpet "Off Road" Racing?? Any links? Thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

the out drive savers are sold by trinity. p/n 1801.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

xxx-4 g+ finished 1st and 3rd in british national championships.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Default 4WD Class & Outdrive Savers

The 4WD class is really picking up at lots of places since the introduction of 3 new cars in the last 6 months, BJ 4X4, Academy, and X - 5. At Uncle Joe's 16th annual Labor Day race & BBQ there were actually more 4WD entries than Mod Buggy albeit the whole race was not well attended.

Further, there were 6 different wheelers entered: xxx-4, BJ, Academy, X - 5, xx-4, and Yoke. X - 5 won.

I've heard many people say 4WD entries are picking up, that the class is running almost every weekend at their track. I think that's great for all the drivers and manufacturers.

For more info on all types of electric 4WD, check out www.4wdrc.com

I understand Trinity stopped making their outdrive savers early this year. Nobody knows why. They work great. So, if you've got 'em, don't let 'em get away. And, if you can find some, buy 'em!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Doughty
xxx-4 g+ finished 1st and 3rd in british national championships.
Woohoo! Go Losi!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

i dont know that there are many foamies for the XXX4. I will check around though. Do you guys know if the trinity out drive savers will fit the associated outdrives?
Old 09-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Foamies, Have you tried TRC foams. Car is similar enough to XXX-S that they should work. I will try to mount up and get back.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm saving up money to build an awesome XXX-4 and I don't care how much it costs, I already got the electronics and all I need to have is a parts list and some pictures of mods I can do, I will be running the Set-up that Cavilieri used at the Worlds in '03 because it fits the track I live near, I want to do something crazy with this car and already have some ideas on mods that I have never seen before on any Losi vehicle
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

-BK2 rear arms and MF2 rear hubs
-MF2 ball cups

not for the faint hearted....
Use 2 chassis to make 1 and get the diff's 3.8mm lower so that you can run driveshafts level at normal ride height
Old 09-17-2004, 02:29 AM
Tech Adept

Doughty,

so Paul hasn't got round to lowering the diffs?
Old 09-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

not yet... something for over the winter I think.

Cree did his, I think he used 3 or 4 chassis to make it...

he broke it pretty early but he did say that his car was dialed with the lower diff's.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default xxx-4 With Lowered diffs????

I'm always anxious to learn something new. If you lower the diff mounting position on any car, do you not also have to lower the bottom of the chassis? I.E. chassis closer to the ground. Other options would be to machine an area into the top of the chassis floor so the now-lowered diff gear clears (as on the xx-4 spur) or to actually cut a slot in the chassis to allow a lower gear.

It seems to me that, on any off-road car the latter two options are poor choices due to strength and dirt issues. On the xxx-4, the chassis is too low as is, and making it lower still (option one) would be particularly bad on grass tracks.

Finally, on the xxx-4, lowered diffs and their gears would require something similar to the latter two options above be done to accomodate the belt at the bottom of the chassis. The belt is very close to rubbing on the chassis as is.

The xxx-4 has a number of handling problems, most of which are, in my opinion, caused by the chassis being too close to the ground. This is not because the center of the diffs is too high, but because the diff gears are too large. Lowering the diffs without lowering the chassis by using smaller gears has a deleterious effect on the car's internal ratio. That can be corrected by using a larger spur, but now you're messing with the car's strongest point, acceleration.

To sum up, why would someone want to lower the diffs on a xxx-4? I can think of several things which might make the car better, but lowering the diffs is not one of them. Here in the US we have no trouble setting the car up "bones level," we just have to put up with dragging the chassis around.

Your comments please, Doughty.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

I saw in the onroad forum that Losi is making a new Touring car... Will a New XXX4 be following? Everytime I get something top of the line, it's replaced!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.