Losi xxx-4

Old 11-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So who's got their xxx4 handling like a xx4?
What are the real differences between the 2?
Motor location is one obvious thing.
Is the suspension geometry really that different?
Shock location? I know the shocks are longer on the xxx4 cuz I have both cars.
What else makes these 2 cars act so differently, besides graphite and plastic chassis flex?
Lookin for Pro's tips here too.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Cool

The cars are different in a lot of dimensions/geometry. The layout being the obvious thing. The drivetrain also (besides xx having 3 belts and xxx having one) as the xxx has massive pulley diff gears, where the xx has very small ones. This allows the xx to have way more suspension travel before bottoming out. Adjustable clicker one way in the xx also allows either almost full on oneway or almost none and any level of adjustment in between where the xxx has either full oneway or none.
All this and the fact that the geometry is just different. The rear pivot of the xx is the same width as the new xxxcr pivot, and the xxx4 is the same pivot dimensions as the xxxbk1 pivot. And as you noted the rear shocks are different, I think overall the xxx4 might allow for more uptravel, but don't quote me on that. The material isn't really the issue as both cars had graphite and plastic versions and are both very stiff being molded cars.

I would say driving both, the xx4 is more of a consistent/steady car because the bumps and ruts and stuff don't bother it so much. The xxx4 I would say is a little more aggressive.

Last edited by DanGriffin; 11-15-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Not sure I can figure out how the xx4 has more suspension travel than the xxx4 because of the size of the diff pulleys.
Does the chassis bottom after less travel on the xxx4? It does have longer shocks front and rear so possibly the towers are much taller too, allowing or not allowing the same travel?
The drivetrain definately has less drag on the xxx4. I still just can't figure out why it doesn't like the rough tracks like the xx4.
It sure is wicked fast and jumps very nice, it just seems to get knocked around easier on rougher (footprints in the soft surface at So Cal) tracks.
Gone lighter on oils and springs and longer on the travel, smaller limiters on shocks and really didn't notice much difference. Didn't mess with the camber link lengths since that seems to be fine tuning. Maybe it just is what it is.
Got any tips? It really isn't that bad but since I have both cars I can tell the difference.

Who's Yamini?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Hey F N...LOL...I may make it out to SoCal on Sunday. Gotta get my race on.

I remember one night at SoCal, they had a really crazy rhythm/washboard section, maybe 8 feet long. You could tell the XXX4 cars from the ZX-5's, XX4's and BJ4's, because the XXX4's were the only ones you had to marshal in that section. It was like a big "XXX4 filter"...LOL

I don't know that it's all about the pulley size, but you can see how it would be part of it. If you have to package larger pullies, the rest of the components are going to have to move up or down to make room. It just seems like the XXX4 chassis seems really tall and the shocks don't allow for sufficient travel for rough conditions.

I've never owned a XX4, but I had a XXX4 and I really liked it...aside from the horrendous cost of fixing it all the time when I crashed it...LOL. It was really easy to drive and very stable.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 11-15-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Not sure I can figure out how the xx4 has more suspension travel than the xxx4 because of the size of the diff pulleys.
Does the chassis bottom after less travel on the xxx4? It does have longer shocks front and rear so possibly the towers are much taller too, allowing or not allowing the same travel?

Who's Yamini?
Because you want to sustain the "bones level" or near it ride height the xxx4 has more of the pulleys below this line compared to most cars. The xx has pretty small pulleys, smaller than the shaft drive cars as well. The front shocks I thought were the same? The rears I think just have different shafts, the cartridges are both the same.

Yamini is my girlfriend...she hijacked the computer when I got up..
Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

I am way off.
Just remeasured the shocks on both cars and they are the same.
I must have spaced
Here's a difference I did find. (Measured twice)
The XX4 mounts the shocks closer together than the XXX4.
It has narrower shock tower and arm mounting positions but the shock angles on both cars are about the same. I come up with about 60-65 degrees. One hole in or out would a difference of about + or - 5 degrees.
What this all means? Heck if I know! I'm not an engineer.
If it was easy, anyone could do it.:

Last edited by F N CUDA; 11-15-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

I think the overall differences between the two cars make up more of a difference than their geometry because, as you noted, most cars aren't really that far off each other. The mid motor of the xx4 is something that no other car has. If you can't tell I'm partial to the xx4, but I really do think you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The losi xx-4 w.e is the best 4wd buggy losi made and one of the best 4wd buggies ever, there is just 2 downsides, 1) no longer made 2) 3 belts
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Champion

Dan, you're right. Can't go wrong with either one.
I wanna go right with both!

Turbo, I'll be lookin out for you on Sunday. Don't be late. Opens at 11
Be ready to time lots of doubles.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have some parts available that will beef up your XX-4 & XXX-4 buggies without adding a whole lot of weight. Taking the rear steel outdrive out, and putting in some molded ones using my aluminum sleeves will actually reduce the weight and cut down on rotational mass. Check them out, and let me know if you're interested!

Sleeves: http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6439867

Screw Kit: http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6439866

Also, here is a link to what I have posted on the "For Sale" forum: http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=183874

Thanks,

Derrick Hochgesang
Old 11-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just picked up a 2nd hand G+, it needs a new body.... what are the differences between the Aurora & Invader bodies & which do you guys recommend?? Cheerz
Old 11-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Go with the Aurora this is the one with the side scoop vice the the 6 vent holes in the front of the car. The invader has the larger wing as well. I hardly see anyone running the invader body, believe that is the stock body. I just prefer the Aurora myself though seems to keep the car cleaner on the inside and to me just looks better. Gene
Old 11-18-2007, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Whoops double post!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I just installed a new spur gear and slipper clutch in my XXX-4. I know everything is together in the right order but the damn slipper keeps loosening itself.

I have taken it apart and put it back together TWICE and it is still doing it.

Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you running brushless? EDIT..LOL I read your signiture and answered this one myself... If you running a hot motor the slipper may never stay. Mine finally quit coming loose, but it took a while. Very frustrating

Make sure its not contacting idler arm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.