Losi xxx-4

Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Shorter wheelbase will let the car square up faster, rotate harder, and add more forward traction. It will also reduce on the initial turn-in, high speed steering and might hurt the car a little going through bumps (this kind of depends on the size/shape of the holes or bumps).
Higher pinion on a hot modified might actually just add a more powerful feel. You have to actually overgear a motor slightly before you lose any low-end. I would try esc/radio settings if you want a softer feel instead of burning up a motor (easy enough in 4wd).
Shorter rear link will let the car roll more. In general Roll=Traction. But too much roll is obviously bad. shorter rear link will make the car less reactive low speed (won't rotate as much) but more reactive high speed.
More front caster will actually add steering but probably just low-speed, but let the car "release" coming out of corners. Like it won't catch as much leaving the apex, and it will reduce high speed steering especially under hard acceleration/squat.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

[SIZE="3"]help! does anyone have a front one-way for the xxx-4 they would sell?E]

Last edited by bigb11; 10-03-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: need more
Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has any had there belt fly off on them? I've had this car for a few years now with no belt problems, but as of recently the belt does not want to stay on, I can't even see how the *** this belt jumps off the pully and gets around it. Oh well, just curious.
Thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

The tensioner is either not tight enough..or the belt is just wearing out.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I found when the slipper pucks/disks wear down, it lets the hex flange nut on the slipper assembly start to move closer to the belt (given the same amount of slipper tightness). When this hex flange gets closer to the belt, one of its corners can touch the belt and lift it up and over the side.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

You know I bet thats it, it probably catches the hex tightener, and lifts up over the pully. I'll make sure that its not too bad, I think it may be bent alittle also.

Thanks alot!
Old 10-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Any time. I am kind of learning about the xxx4 a lot on my own. That was one of my long-time issues -- the issue you have. I recommend putting in new slipper pucks. Also make sure the shims (thin washers) are on the layshaft (just like the directions show). Before my belt would get chewed up, I would trim off some frayed kevlar strands that were peeking out of the belt over on the flange nut side. Of course, a bent corner on the flange nut would be something to fix, too.

Amazingly, my xxx4 has almost stopped breaking. The hub carriers broke a lot, but I replaced those with aluminum ones from a BJ4. The front inside hinge pin holders used to break, along with the lower screw on the front diff housing -- driving better helped with that. Then it was the belt-chewing problem. Then there were several broken front outdrives, until I got the ones with the saver rings. Good luck.

BTW, new pucks are 0.100", andmy worn down ones were down to 0.093"

Last edited by BobWoodhouse; 10-06-2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Add numbers
Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I broke a front diff out drive, I replaced the plastic diff with a metal one. Can someone tell me if its ok to do this, or should I go back to plastic? (im sure there is a design reason for plastic)
Old 10-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

I think there might be a little difference in the bearing shim. I thiought about this course of action, too, but found the plastic ones with the saver rings just in time. I'm sure if you're careful with the shims -- maybe it would also look a little neater to have both metal in the front instead of just one side -- then you would just need that little shiny metal tube, you probably won't be too bad off. I think if using the metal ones up front will keep you racing, then it'sbetter than not racing.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

No worrys thanks for that, I just wasn't sure what the difference is or why losi used a plastic front diff.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I think the plastic front diff is mainly for weight savings, it isnt a high stress area of the driveline compared to the rear diff and its a cruicial weight saving being rotating mass.

I use the Losi One way which is also plastic outdrive equipped, anyone that hasnt got a One way, go and buy one, best single mod i have done to any car for a long time, makes it so much faster to throw around the track, almost makes it steer like my XXX-CR with the Robbers setup ( almost )
Old 10-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

As I've been asking the question here some time ago about carbon fiber shock towers, here are the atomic carbon ones. They are 4mm thick.

Pictures: http://sylvestre.net/brtc/photos/tt_110/default.aspx

I ordered directly using the mail address on their website http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/
Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Those look pretty beefy. Just be careful about cracking the chassis, make sure that your screws go all the way through the bulk-head. I have had a set of carbon fiber shock towers for over 3 years, without any sort of problems, very strong and should outlast the car if taken care of.
Good choise and thanks for the information on where to locate these parts now!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Alltapdout
Those look pretty beefy. Just be careful about cracking the chassis, make sure that your screws go all the way through the bulk-head. I have had a set of carbon fiber shock towers for over 3 years, without any sort of problems, very strong and should outlast the car if taken care of.
Good choise and thanks for the information on where to locate these parts now!
You're welcome!
It should be ok for the screws, at least I hope. I haven't run since I got the support.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Just to conserve cash, I waited a long time before I got an eBay one-way for my xxx4. I put it in for this outdoors track, and strangely enough, I did not like it out there -- places where I used to hit the brakes really hard gave me unpredicatble rear-end swapping. So I took the one-way out. Maybe I will like it more on the indoor dirt. When I had a Schumacher Bosscat, I started with a one-way, took it out one day, and put it right back in because the one-way was so much better (that was indoor smooth black dirt). Maybe I have to dial down my brakes to appreciate the xxx4 one-way more???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.