Losi xxx-4

Old 10-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yea I see what you guys are saying. 4wd buggies are pretty fragil to begin with. I wonder why they don't make them like the 1/8 nitro buggies. I guess weight would be a factor

I"m still deciding. I'm looking into the tc3"o" as well. I've heard it's preeety durable. Anyways, thx for the input. If I were to go with the xxx4 graphite. What would be some of the things to get with it for racing?? Extra pair of towers. Arms?? What else? Does the belt break easy? Front one-way? LMK..thx.

Gary
Old 10-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Spares for a XXX-4:

1 front tower
1 rear tower
1 pr front arms
1 set of spindle carriers
1 pr rear 1 deg hubs
1 oneway set

I don't think I have broken anything else on the car and haven't broken anything that should not have broken because the severity of the crash in about 2 months.

Maybe with the new arms get the front aluminum pivot or spare graphite ones. If you go the aluminum route, just get the front pivot, not the two small ones behind the arms. Leave the inner pivots on the rear of the front arm plastic, you need flex somewhere to absorb a hit.

As far as they Yok, looks great on the track, until you break it and can't get parts for it. The it looks like crap setting on your pit bench while your heat is running.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

As far as the Tc3"o" - The parts the guy makes don't break, it's the AE parts that fail. The ring and pinion diff gear setup just doesn't hold up to offroad. The Durango's would eat a diff or spur gear almost every heat at the nat's. At the losi race, I was watching guys build a new diff every heat just to make sure they survived 5 minutes. This is using the NTC3 diff parts. Until they get some sort of torque absorbing system other than a standard slipper on the car, I think that will be a problem. That car needs a Viscous or rubber coupler someplace to issolate front to rear shock in the drivetrain.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

I agree on the spares list. I haven't broken the new rear tower yet, but I am sure it won't be long......

The thing with 4WD is that you are able to carry a lot more corner speed so when you stuff it into a pipe, you are hitting it a lot harder. I run the front aluminum pivot block, but not the two small ones.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Matthew Bailey
I agree on the spares list. I haven't broken the new rear tower yet, but I am sure it won't be long......

The thing with 4WD is that you are able to carry a lot more corner speed so when you stuff it into a pipe, you are hitting it a lot harder. I run the front aluminum pivot block, but not the two small ones.
I agree completely. 4wd electric off-road is my favorite class, and everytime I tell someone that they always say "So I guess you like breaking parts all the time." (Or something to that effect.) I try to tell them that the reason they seem to break easier is because you are carrying alot more corner speed than a 2wd car, so when you smack something, you smack it with alot more force.

If people would just realize that 4wd is a completely different handling car, thusly needs to be driven differently, then they might not break so many parts. Of course, try telling someone that they need to be a better driver. It never goes over well. lol
Old 10-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

I agree, the ego thing gets in the way. It couldn't be their driving, so it must be the car.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

is the xxx4 more fun to drive than a buggy or truck? i am thinking of getting one but i dont know if it is worth it because it is easy to break. the track close to me only runs mod so im not sure.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

It's easier to break because it's hella more faster than a 2wd. Why is it faster because it's 4wd. The car pulls much more than it pushes. It just feels like 100 of the power from teh motor is applied to the ground. You can clear triples with your eyes closed. You can manuver your car (kinda like a dirt bike) in the air. YOu can turn corners like there's no tomorrow. Best of all, you can give those 1/8 buggy a run for their money and do it in a much more quieter and graceful fashion.

So does that sound like fun??

I think on the matter of breakage - it all depends on the driver. My xx-4 supposely a fragile car - I've ran it many many MANY times and cleared triples after triples....and only manage to break the front bulkhead. So...I think if you're pretty good and have good common sense when you are driving - then breakage is not a concern. my .02

G

Last edited by loosenut; 10-02-2003 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

well you have me sold, especially since you put it in terms of dirtbikes. i know them more than rc cars. they way i look at them is that they are the touring car for offroad. i have the xxx ke and xxxt francis so i just need the xxx4 to complete the team
Old 10-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I haven't run a single one of my other cars since I got my XXX4, and i have no desire to run them either.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by pro3racer774
well you have me sold, especially since you put it in terms of dirtbikes. i know them more than rc cars. they way i look at them is that they are the touring car for offroad. i have the xxx ke and xxxt francis so i just need the xxx4 to complete the team
Yea, like dirt bike. Since it's 4wd...when the car is in the air - if the throttle is applied - by turning the steering, you could in a sense torque the car side ways. If the jump is big enough, you can torque it back. This is cool when you couldn't line up the jump right at take off but align the car in teh air to land at the right angle. Of course, you can control the nose dive of the car by applying throttle or break in mid air. I guess you can do that with a 2wd but just not as responsive as a 4wd. Also, the way the car will take off from ramps (when your shocks unload) in a very short distance it reminds me of dirt bikes...

You know what they say - once you've gone 4wd buggy...you'll never go back...

G
Old 10-02-2003, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

im goin
Old 10-02-2003, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

if it compairs to an 8th scale buggy then i know i will like it, especially since its electric. i loved the throttle control with those, but i got sick of the gas. i cant stay in for the mains because it burned my eyes
Old 10-02-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

is the graphite version worth it or should the basic kit be fine?
Old 10-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would say get the graphite version, because the front arms, shock towers, threaded shocks, and turnbuckles are all included. This alone is worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.