Losi xxx-4

Old 01-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I think that's supposed to be "FRP"..."fiberglass reinforced plastic". Those are the strong ones...they're machined, not molded. That's what comes in the G+ car.

It says PRP on the shock towers
http://www.teamlosi.com/Articles/Art...ArticleID=1349
Old 01-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

One of the things that the conversions solves is the slipper problem on the XXX-4. The X-5 slipper is similar to the slippers used on the XXX truck and buggy and works flawless. Here are some pics of the X-5 slipper
Attached Thumbnails Losi xxx-4-x-5-slipper.jpg   Losi xxx-4-x-5-slipper2.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Manning
Anybody got a Mamba Max brushless system in their car? Will the Mamba Max speed controller fit behind the motor?
YGPM

Later,
Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Rookie

My comments on some of the above topics...

After breaking the original plastic shock towers and front A-arms, the replacement graphite ones have been very rugged. I did snap a couple of the graphite rear towers as well, so now I run two back there. Just get the longer ball studs and screws to install them. So far, so good.

Both diffs required tightening after each of the first few runs, but seem to have settled in nicely now. Also keep an eye on the belt, as mine stretched a bit from new.

I saw one with the Mamba this weekend, and it did have the ESC behind the motor. I was most impressed with how smooth it was at low speeds despite the sensorless motor.
Attached Thumbnails Losi xxx-4-xxx4.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Rookie

i've read there's lots of concern with the durability of the XXX4.

i used to race long ago around the time the XX series came out and left before the XXX series came in. my first car was an JRX2, and i owned every losi car up through the street weapon/XX4 and NXT.

now, i just got back into R/C because the girlfriend gave me a sprint2 for xmas. I immediately changed out the radio for a spektrum [with the intention of moving to an M11 with spektrum module later on], and i got a mamba max 7700 system.

my question is this : how good is the xx4 as a basher t hat'll see occasional track time? can i buy any aftermarket parts that will make it capable of taking the abuse? I have thought about the xx4 as i've heard it's a better machine overall, but i remember my old one being a pain because of the 3 belts, so i'd rather avoid tedious maintenance. I also like the xxx4 because of its chassis layout -- it can take side-by-side packs which i'll be able to use with my other car [or cars, if i decide to pick up that MF2 as well]

ill be putting the MM7700 in the new car, so i want a chassis that can take the lipo stick-style packs, and the xx4 can't do it :/ and i'd also rather avoid the saddle lipo's.

if the xxx4 turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, i might just go with the MF2 or XXXcr and hop it up to high heaven

Last edited by Cicada; 01-08-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inferno
That's a MAGAZINE article...LOL...so yeah, they would tell you to go buy the PRP.

The "FRP" towers that come on the G+ are pretty tough, though. I broke just about everything else on mine...never broke a tower once.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default hi

hi guys, apologies for some basic questions,

is a Z590M 85oz/.15s servo good (in terms of torque & speed) enough for the XXX4 or the CR???
Pleeeeeeease advice. Thanks a million!!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Z590 is a really good performer for the price, plus the metal gear train adds a lot of durability. A lot depends on how much you want to spend and how precise you like your car to feel. I like really quick response, so I run JR Digital 8800S' and 9000S' in my XXX-CR, XXX-T, and XXX-4. If you're looking for something with similar performance at a lower price point, then you might want to consider going with JR's 4800S servos. The 4800's are basically analog versions of the 8800. Here are the specs for comparison for you:

4800S Specs

Type: High-Speed Analog Race Servo
Torque: 102 oz/in @ 6V
Speed: .11 sec/60 deg @ 6V
Dimensions (WxLxH): .75" x 1.54" x 1.36"
Weight: 2 oz
Bearing: Dual output
Motor Type: Coreless
Application: 1/10 trucks, sedans and buggies; 1/8 on-road steering and throttle; 1/8 off-road throttle

8800S Specs:
Type: High-Speed Digital Servo
Torque: 105 oz/in @ 6V
Speed: .08 sec/60 deg @ 6V
Dimensions (WxLxH): .75" x 1.54" x 1.36"
Weight: 2.0 oz
Bearing: Dual output
Motor Type: Coreless
Application: 1/10 trucks and buggies, 1/8 on-road steering and throttle, 1/8 off-road throttle

I've also run the JR4750 in my XXX-4, which the JR 4800 replaces.

If your budget allows, go with the 4800S, if not, the z590 is a good choice too.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Inferno

That is a brace on the original plastic shock tower. Don't think they have made them since the G+ towers were introduced. Most of the upgrades listed in that article are no longer sold as Losi has fixed many of the problems (somewhat anyway) themselves.

Neither car would really make a good basher in my opinion, but the XXX-4 would probably hold up better than the XX-4 and is simpler to work with. I do have both.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kzacher
Neither car would really make a good basher in my opinion, but the XXX-4 would probably hold up better than the XX-4 and is simpler to work with. I do have both.
maintenance is the big thing for me. thanks!

G+ it is!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kzacher
That is a brace on the original plastic shock tower. Don't think they have made them since the G+ towers were introduced. Most of the upgrades listed in that article are no longer sold as Losi has fixed many of the problems (somewhat anyway) themselves.

Sweet, thanks for clearing that up

Cheers
Old 01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Manning
Anybody got a Mamba Max brushless system in their car? Will the Mamba Max speed controller fit behind the motor?
Here's some photos of mine... sorry about the picture quality.. I'm not a good photographer

I use Velcro to strap down the speedo..seemed to work great in my XXX-CR. You can take it out and attach the USB cable to it a lot easier that way. I'm not trimming the wires at the moment because I'm not sure if I'll use it in this vehicle or my T4 (I haven't hooked up the steering servo components yet if you noticed..I need to change the connector first..)....

The 4600 simply had too much power for my CR...it wheelstood and blew over on the straightaway all the time

I did have some issues with it "studdering a bit"... I would pull the trigger and it would do nothing, then all of a sudden it would go.... the fisrt part of the throttle also had a "deadband" feeling to it... My GTX Brushed setup had power all the way through the throttle band... I did have the "punch setting" on the Mamba at nearly it's lowest level to compensate for the power...perhaps that was it... or it may not like my radio settings....

Still I'm putting it in my 4WD and tinkering with it more... Perhaps Crash can give some pointers on how to set the speedo up for better throttle response?? (or the radio).

This is my first brushless system, and if I can get the throttle issues cured, it probably won't be my last

Hope the pictures help....
Attached Thumbnails Losi xxx-4-losi1.jpg   Losi xxx-4-losi2.jpg   Losi xxx-4-losi3.jpg  
Old 01-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Nice looking buggy Justinian. What servo is that you have? It looks very small

Cheers
Old 01-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Tech Elite

Do you use servo saver on your xxx-4?

Cheers
Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Let's talk about sway bars....

Im fairly new to the XXX4G and the first meet of the season is only a week away. Now, i understand the general principles of the sway bar, having meddled in 1:1 cars before getting into RC.

But, was hoping to foster a discussion - or get thoughts from those in the know... about how to choose the right bar to fit, what kind of conditions will suit a thicker/thinner bar... or is there scope to remove it all together?

The track is VERY firm, we have a loamy surface that is treated with oil, so it's got a hard "crust" on it... but still quite grippy. A little bumpy and slightly rutted in places, but not blown out by any means.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.