Losi xxx-4

Old 07-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys,

1. I've got front light green springs, rear red springs and rear dark red springs. I don't know their rate (second hand). Is there any chart from Losi or something else ?

2. I plan to run on a smooth BMX track with mid and high jumps. Any advice about the oil, springs et tires ?

Thanks.

Cheers.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Blin - click here for the losi spring chart. Depending on the surface, there's a few different setups and tire combinations that may work. There are a couple setups listed here, Cavalieri's Worlds setup or Travis' standard are good starting points. Are there any locals at the track that already run 4wd? They may be your best option for a starting tire combo.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Message to Lars Johnson.

Thanks for the Losi springs chart.

Unfortunately and as I wrote, it's a BMX track and no one (except me) is doing rc... I know... it's a pity. But the set up sheets will help me.

Cheers.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Just remember you can increase the weight of the oil or go to a small piston to increase pack to help handle the jumps. Maybe set the ride height alittle higher to get more suspension travel too.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Message to Sport10,

Thanks for the advice.

I've already filled front and rear shocks with Losi 35 oil instead of 30 (according to the user manual).

Front shocks seem ok for high jumps. But rear shocks seem a little too soft. I'll try rear dark red springs.

Any link to webiste that talk about tires in 4wd off-road ? I'm a newbie in off-road and I'm lost concerning the tires. Which tires for wich track ? I received more than 40 pairs of tires (second hand) with the car and I don't know which to use.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

at the bottom of the page on teamlosi.com there is a link to tire suggestions that is fairly helpful. Gives you a guide for their tires and what compound to use. You can then either get thier tires, or find another brand with similar tread and compound.
HTH
Rod
Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

I routinely used either pink or yellow springs on the rear of my xxx-4 before I did the X5 conversion. I would not use the red spring in the rear. This is the stock setup; Front: Green spring, #57 piston, 30 weight oil, Rear: Pink spring, #56 piston, 30 weight oil. The pack I am talking about cannot be felt unless a sudden stroke is administered to the shocks. So even though it feels soft on the rear under a sudden hit it should resist bottoming. On a 4wd most of the traction comes from the rear so you need to be able to get some weight transfer to the rear of the car. On tire placement you will need to give us an idea what the track surface is like. Is is Hard Pack or Loam. Does it bluegroove or not. Does it have a layer of dirt on top or is it dusty? These are the question we need to know for proper tire selection.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'm a big fan of yellow in rear orange in front. I've yet to find a better combo for anything. Maybe I'd want something different for a bluegroove, but I don't have any of those, most of my tracks are relatively regular dirt, some packed some not.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

Hi

i was wondering if the xxx-4 G+ is the current top of the line Losi Buggy? how old is it? Does it require many hopups? Easy to work on?
THanks
Old 08-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default xx4

hi All,

I am new to 4wd. I am looking at getting into stcok 4wd and there are so many available now. I read the xx4 handles better than the xxx4 in most track conditions, where the xxx4 is better for smooth tracks.

So I am thinking of a xx4 worlds edition. Does anyone know if the car is still good enough against the latest such as yokomo MRTBX or BJ4WE?

Does Losi still make support parts for the xx4? Does it come with one-way etc etc???

Anyhelp will be much appreciated =))))

Jademond
Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Losi still makes (or recently started to again) making XX-4 parts. It does not come with a front one way but a diff f/r and a front clicker giving the car a partiel "one-way" effect. The XXX-4/XXX-S front one-way does not fit directly into a XX-4, the large 1/2" outdrive bearings sit too wide...you can sand the one-way hub .015" narrower per side allowing the one-way to fit into a XX-4. I have tried the one-way and went back to the diff/loose clicker setup as the one-way really didn't help handling/steering out much. The XX-4 handles well on all tracks from loose/rutted to high-bite/smooth/blue groove tracks, it's more of driver preference(more comfortable to drive) for which car will give you better results.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Hey guys, just got myself a second hand xxx4 and have a question.

Have noticed that if i pick the car up off the ground and give it throttle, there is a lot of vibration in the front wheels when you turn to the left or right. When wheels are pointing ahead, its fine but at half to full steering there is a lot of vibration coming from the CVD's. Have rebuilt the CVD's and they seem fine. Is this fairly normal and would LCD's make a difference?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by HiPressure
The BJ4 carriers will work. Use the hinge pins from the B4, drill and tap 4-40 hole in the bottom of carriers and use a set screw to hold the hinge pin. Make sure you grind down on the hinge pin where the set screw is to help it from sliding out. Use spacers in front and behind carrier, they are narrower than the xxx4s. The hardest part is getting the CVD through the carriers. The CVD pins that go into the outdrives will not fit throught the carrier. You either have to 1. grind the pins down 2. build the CVD with the carriers or 3. (which I did) grind the inside of the carrier so the pins just clear.
Another idea I was going to try was to use the B3 hinge pins with E-Clips, not sure if they are lon enough though. Sorry if the instructions are hard to follow. If anybody needs pictures, email me at [email protected] and I will get you pictures. Guy from my local track showed me this, gotta give credit where its due thanks Neil

The xxx4 is now really fun to drive not having to worry about breaking hub carriers anymore.

Dan
Did you get it to work with B3 hinge pins with E-Clips? I got the B4 hinge pins and bj4 carriers, but tapping a hole on the carriers seems to need some special equipment? Could you email me some pics to [email protected] ? Thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Drudged this up, can't beleive this hasn't been posted in since august, dang. This ought to help some of the newbies with the 8 new threads poppin up about this machine.
Rod
Old 12-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Hello all you sleepy heads, I was trying to chase down a pinion for ym xxx-4, it has teh kevlar spur, 92, I think and I am putting in a tuned 19t element.
Thanks,
ROd

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.