Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
They are the older losi wheels.
Get the new ones?

J
Old 07-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The new ones at the hobby shop are the same, those are brand new wheels. I do have one set that are regular hexes. do you have a part number for the new wheels and I will order them. It gets frustrating running 2wd on a 4wd car.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Those are 2wd front wheels. The 4wd wheels have the 6pt hex Part # LOSA7046

Edit: I meant 6 point hex, not 8

Last edited by CCristo; 07-08-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CCristo
Those are 2wd front wheels. The 4wd wheels have the 8pt hex Part # LOSA7046
They used to use the same hex but have changed it for 4wd toa 6-sided one.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

They have them on horizon, just look up the XXX-4 they are there, and in stock.

Jay
Old 07-09-2006, 02:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

LOSA7047 are yellow, LOSA7046 are white, but who uses white anyways j/k
Old 07-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This was a good post.......but if you were forced to have one car, and raced competitively on a track that was in fair condition, which would you run? Thanks
Originally Posted by HVAC25000
Just so you know, everyone that knows anything about xxx-4s is already subscribed to the thread, so there's no reason to bump it to the top for everyone that doesn't know anything to see

The xxx-4 is competitive on smooth tracks, one's made of hardpack dirt or clay. The xx-4 is competitive on rough/rutted out tracks. There are lots of other cars out there that are probably better, but they cost upwards of 500 usually, and parts cost more when they break, plus parts are probably harder to find for those other cars. If you aren't looking to seriously race, you're best off with a Losi car. Parts are cheap, easy to find, and the cars both handle great as far as I'm concerned. Just keep track conditions in mind.

I've never had one of the lipos in the car, but I have had stick packs which are the same dimensions, so I assume you will have the same problem with the lipo. The battery strap has little bumps on the bottom (see here http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=LOSA9898), to hold each individual cell in place. You will have to make a new, flat battery strap.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well, I don't really know what your idea of "fair" is... Not even sure what my own idea of fair is, lol.

If the track is smooth, like packed clay, or a blue-groove type track, the xxx-4 is a much better choice. If the track is rutted with rocks, bumps, loose dirt, and such, the xx-4 is a better choice. In my experience, both fly equally well so jumps aren't an issue with either car. The xxx-4 is for groomed tracks, the xx-4 is for ungroomed. I don't know how to explain better. If you had a picture of your track, I could tell you which is better suited to it.

Maybe someone else out there can explain better?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Default Another good answer

I understand what you are saying. Consider a track that is not blue groove smooth, consists of mildly packed clay with no rocks or ruts......sounds like the XXX-4? Anyway I appreciate your prompt response on my last question , thanks. I guess I will go with the xxx-4. What do you think of the new Yokomo that is coming out? And finally can the losi hold its own againt the tc4 conversion and the xx-4 convert that is being sold?
Originally Posted by HVAC25000
Well, I don't really know what your idea of "fair" is... Not even sure what my own idea of fair is, lol.

If the track is smooth, like packed clay, or a blue-groove type track, the xxx-4 is a much better choice. If the track is rutted with rocks, bumps, loose dirt, and such, the xx-4 is a better choice. In my experience, both fly equally well so jumps aren't an issue with either car. The xxx-4 is for groomed tracks, the xx-4 is for ungroomed. I don't know how to explain better. If you had a picture of your track, I could tell you which is better suited to it.

Maybe someone else out there can explain better?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah, sounds like you'd be well off with a xxx-4.

I read lots of race reports where x-5s and bj4s and yoks being beaten by old xx-4s and xxx-4s all the time, and the reverse quite often as well, so it's really all hard to decide.

There's so many other choices for buggies out there, but they are all very expensive. The only cheap choices are Losi, Academy, and Kyosho.

The Yok is an incredibly good buggy from what I hear, I know it sure looks damn good, but it's also 500 dollars. Same with the Bj4.

I don't know a whole lot about the TC4 conversion other than what the website says, but I'm pretty sure you'd be better off with a xxx-4. I don't even know anyone who owns one, probably for a reason.

The x-5 (which comes as a kit, or you can convert a xx-4, or even a xxx-4, to one as you mentioned, but I think the kit comes out to be cheaper if you buy new and is certainly easier to build) is, from what I hear, an incredible buggy. It has the suspension of a xx-4 and the acceleration of a xxx-4. The front end breaks a lot, but that's true of all Losi buggies it seems. I know I don't have a single weekend where I drive one of the Losis and something on the front end doesn't break. Nothing terribly expensive though, and nothing that doesn't take more than 5 minutes to change. I would LOVE to have one, but not for 500 dollars (Need to get a touring car next). It probably really is better than a xxx-4, but it's also 200 dollars more. If I ever get another 4wd buggy, it will be this one.

My first choice of all the buggies I've seen is my x10, though. Pricey, unfortunately, but as far as I'm concerned, and the 1/8 scale guys at my local track that were getting beaten by me on my first outing with the car, worth the price.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

To answer the above question of which car I would have between the xx-4 and the xxx-4 for use everywhere I would have to go with the xx-4. The xx-4 is competitive at even the highest level of competition without having to add alot of aftermarket items like on the xxx-4. The suspension of the xx-4 is legendary. It is equally at home in the rough as it is on a blue groove track. The one way clicker that it comes with is also nice too allowing the front wheels to clutch out off power and braking. With todays motors and batteries the 3 belt drive system is not a problem anymore. The only disadvantage is really that it is hard to work on.

I have an X5 that I converted from a xxx-4. The difference in having the xx-4 suspension is huge. Plus, I still have the whiplash acceleration of the xxx-4 to boot. The front a-arms do break on an extremely hard hits but there are stronger arms now available. Plus, you get rid of one of the xxx-4's biggest problems- the slipper. The x-5 uses a superior slipper assembly that is problem free and holds a setting.

Last edited by sport10; 07-13-2006 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Wich final ratio or motor pinion ?

Hi guys,

Well, I'm a newbie in off-road. I've just get two Losi XXX-4 G+ (one new and one second hand for the spare parts).

Here is my question : I plan to run a brushless 3 stars LRP Neo/Nosram Storm motor with the standart kevlar 92 teeth spur. Wich pinion moteur pinion must I use for medium smooth grass track ?

Thanks for the answer.

Cheers.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Tech Regular

start with a 16 pinion and see how it feels, and check the temps
Old 07-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

That is good info, where do you purchase an x5? Thanks
Originally Posted by sport10
To answer the above question of which car I would have between the xx-4 and the xxx-4 for use everywhere I would have to go with the xx-4. The xx-4 is competitive at even the highest level of competition without having to add alot of aftermarket items like on the xxx-4. The suspension of the xx-4 is legendary. It is equally at home in the rough as it is on a blue groove track. The one way clicker that it comes with is also nice too allowing the front wheels to clutch out off power and braking. With todays motors and batteries the 3 belt drive system is not a problem anymore. The only disadvantage is really that it is hard to work on.

I have an X5 that I converted from a xxx-4. The difference in having the xx-4 suspension is huge. Plus, I still have the whiplash acceleration of the xxx-4 to boot. The front a-arms do break on an extremely hard hits but there are stronger arms now available. Plus, you get rid of one of the xxx-4's biggest problems- the slipper. The x-5 uses a superior slipper assembly that is problem free and holds a setting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.