Losi xxx-4

Old 09-12-2003, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Skip, I have broken an outdrive, but the cause was what you stated above - the bones caused the ring to come off, once off, the outdrive cracked on a bad landing. I have not had that problem since touching up the end of the bones, also I put a touch of glue on the ring to make sure it stays.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default New Shock Towers??

Has anybody been able to get ahold of the new rear shock tower? My LHS has the front one in their hands already, but they cannot order the rear one yet as the part number doesn't even appear on their order form yet. I looked on horizon's site, and a search for the rear tower part number comes up with nothing.

Does anybody know where to get the rear towers at?

Also, what wing are the guys running? Are they just cutting out space for the shocks? Or is there also a new wing out for the new rear tower?

Thanks in advance for any tips on where to get these!
Old 09-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Our shop just got both towers this week. The towers are in stock, they just haven't updated the computer system yet. If your shop places an order with the correct part number, even though it comes up invalid in FastServe, when the order goes through, the main system knows what it is. We placed a bunch of Mini-T's on order at the same time using the same method.

As far as a wing, we have been cutting the stock wing. Some guys just run the V-Wing or even the high downforce wing.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

The new towers are dialed. The slight handling changes did effect my setup but only for the good. I could drive the car hader and more on edge. And when I did make a mistake and rolled it hard nothing broke.

I've settled with the Highdown force wing for the track I've been running on.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

wings- I am running the old 'Maxi-wings' from the XX4's and removing material as needed to provide clearance for the shocks (when placed behind the arms). They are still available...

towers- I have had to adjust the limiting in my shocks just a bit...here is what I am running now: front 0.120 limiting with the .6 shafts and rear, 0.050 limiting with 1.0 shafts. No external limiters...
Old 09-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Tech Rookie

What is the purpose of swapping the rear a-arms as stated in the instructions. I don't see the difference.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

The purpose is to place more weight behind the rear axle. This reduces rear chatter over bumps slightly. There is also a slight change in shock angle.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Actually, the point in swaping the arms in the rear is for shock angle only. If you shim things the way the instructions say, it will only affect wheel base maybe .010" If you don't swap the arms, you will need to add about a 1/4" to the upper shock mount to get the shock perpendicular to the travel of the arm. This will cause the towers to break easier because of the greater leverage. Either way works and I have seen guys doing both. Swaping the arms is safer.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just bought a new XXX4. I bought the new towers and aluminum front pivot block seperately. I noticed instantly that the front springs that came with the kit are way too firm. I just picked up a set of silvers as suggested by our local fast guy.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I see Losi is releasing a XXX4 Graphite Plus. Has anyone heard a street price yet?

Later,
Old 09-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Hmm, on their site it says "(Street Price) $329.99"
Old 09-15-2003, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hmm, Didn't see that. Oops Definetly will be worth getting this car I do believe.

Later,
Old 09-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

The new shock towers survived the weekend long bashing at the Region 5 race this weekend. Which is a huge plus. Now that the car can take the abuse you can reallly feel like you can wheel it around and push it to the limits. The car is very strong now. For those of you that are waiting for the Graphite Plus edition you will be very happy.

Some of us tried stock 4wd. I was amazed that the cars was as fast as they was with a stock motor. Gearing was a bit strange. I figured I would gear it more like a truck but with a 94 spur gear I found a 23 pinion to be the best. That was with the Trinity blue endbell paradox handout motor.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Are there any good photos of the new front arms?

Anyone with first hand experience know how they might compare to mine?

www.dpmracing.com
Old 09-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

I'm thinking you have the delrin/nylon arms. They look nothing like them. The look like the current arms with additional webbing in them to help control twist. Nothing changes in the geometry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.