Losi xxx-4

Old 03-05-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oNLY SOMETIMES, IF THE TRACK IS REALLY GRIPPY THEN TRY TO, BUT LAST SETUP FOR A HI BITE, WAS RED SPRINGS NO SWAY BAY HOPE IT HELPS
Old 03-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

whoaps capitals, sorry
Old 03-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default newbie

Hi, I am a newbie to buggy, recently got a xxx4G+, any setup tips/guide to share? I'm running my novak BL ss5800 on this with a 17th pinion and 94t spur.

having problems with jumps... it flips alot... maybe is my rear damper seems to be too soft..
Old 03-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

What are the most common front and rear springs used when racing the X4 inside and outdoors...

Just wondering and trying to stock up on parts.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pininfarina
Hi, I am a newbie to buggy, recently got a xxx4G+, any setup tips/guide to share? I'm running my novak BL ss5800 on this with a 17th pinion and 94t spur.

having problems with jumps... it flips alot... maybe is my rear damper seems to be too soft..
What's your oil and spring set up like? Are your arms level front and rear or are your bones level front and real? How are you using your throttle right before the jump? Do the other cars make it over fine or do they seem to get flipped as well?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

pininfarina: what do you mean it flips alot? do you mean when your driving thru a washboard section the rear end bounces and flips? if so make sure you have the longest wheelbase possible. run light oils all round. some people might say to run thick but light is better as the shocks will react faster so it wont bounce as much. also have the battery as far back as possible. i like to run the most kickup ad 1 degree of pro-squat. also laydown your shocks as far as possible and try not to stay on the throttle when its bouncing. also try a softer rear spring. if it flips while your in the air stay off the throttle. if it flips on landing try and put a softer spring on it.
Nexus: it really depends on your track. if its supercross style then a softer spring in the rear would be good. if its tight and technical a soft front spring for more steering. if i were you i would just get all the springs. thats what i did but i have noticed i perfer a softer spring for more steering. i also perfer light oils (20-30) because of the rut soaking ability.

anyone gonna be at so/cal today running?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony2
oNLY SOMETIMES, IF THE TRACK IS REALLY GRIPPY THEN TRY TO, BUT LAST SETUP FOR A HI BITE, WAS RED SPRINGS NO SWAY BAY HOPE IT HELPS
i leave it on and connect one arm to it and if i need to just connect the other. bu tif you do that make sure it moves freely cause it could bind up the suspension.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pininfarina

When is it flipping over and is it flipping reward or forward? A lot of it could be how you're approaching the jumps. If it's tail heavy, you could simply be trying to carry too much speed or accelerating too late over the surface of the jump. if its nose heavy, then the opposite is true. I'm running my car 99% box stock. Only change is to the angle of the front shocks (in one hole on the tower) and the front springs (I'm running oranges). I'd like to try a front one-way to get the car to turn in harder and I would like if the car had a little more low-speed steering out of the box, but overall I don't have a whole lot of complaints about the stock setup on the track I run. I am also running a GTB with a 4300 brushless, stock spur with an 18T pinion, average lap-times are around 20 seconds, fastest I've gone so far has been a 19.3. In comparison, the open-mod trucks are turning mid-20's, dipping into the 19's here and there. I may bolt in a 5800 this week just to see what it's like
Old 03-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Tech Champion

thanks guys for the info,

the buggy is pretty much in stock setup, the car flips forward and heads into nose dive, current setup using a 17t with 92 spur on a ss5800.

just found out there's a missing part on my front assembly, the pivot ball was not installed, doh! I guess that might have contributed to the weird behavoir....

haha, this is my first losi kit, guess I need to get use to the instructions manual...
Old 03-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

ran my xxx-4 today at socal. it was AWESOME thru the washboards and ruts but it had absolutly no corner speed or steering. im gonna work on it this week and see if i can get it to work. any suggestions? running silvers in front with about 25 wt oil and pinks in the back with 30 wt
Old 03-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

pininfarina, all you need to do is blip the throttle when you're in the air to keep the nose up. If it's got the nose too high in the air, just tap the brakes to bring it down. It'll take a little bit at first but you'll learn how to control the attitude of the car in the air.

Tony
Old 03-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Champion

thanks tony,

quite new to jumping the xxx4, but I think I will get the hang of it real soon. It's a great buggy to start with...
Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That's the ticket. And don't try to superman things either. You're better off taking it more conservative and losing a tenth or two than crashing and losing a number of seconds and having to be marshalled. I'm the perfect example of how just getting used to the car and it's capabilites can make you faster. I only have 3 weeks on my car so far but I have dropped 3-4 SECONDS a lap off my lap times, stepped up my pace from 12 laps to 15, and my lap times are considerablly more consistent as well. And that all comes from just driving the car more and getting used to it. And controlling a 4wd car in the air is too cool...and much easier than a 2wd or a Truck.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

You could switch to a lighter oil in the rear like 27.5 weight or go to the lighter yellow spring in the rear also. You could also reverse the rear a arms putting the left side on the right and the right side on the left to lengthen the wheel base some. Mike Truhe also uses CR hubs to widen the rear of the car some too.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

just got a oneway for the car. damn its expensive! my question is do i use diff lube? i dont think it says in the instructions. also can i replace the diff pulley with one of the stock ones if it wears out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.