Losi xxx-4

Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Guys,

Has anyone spotted any carbon fiber shock towers anywere in the market. I find that the losi FG ones snap as well quite easy.

Vasilis
Old 07-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

EXTREME RACING MAKES SOME AND ART'S HOBBIES DOES ALSO.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Terry M
This XXX4 I bought that was already built has me asking a couple questions?

1) Why would the guy mount the rear shocks (in front) of the arms.

2) Why would he have the steering bellcrank mounts in the (forward holes) in the chassis instead of the rears like the manual states?

Were these done for a particular type of handling issue or just blatant mistakes when he built it?
the origional xxx4 was like this, its only the xxx4 g+ that had the shocks on the rear and the manual instructing to put the steering posts in the rear holes.

personally I run the steering posts in the front holes all the time, but that might be personal preferance
Old 07-28-2005, 03:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Cheers for the info DAVE BERNATH
Old 07-28-2005, 03:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tbevofreak
Hi Guys, I will be getting a XXX-G+ very soon it will be my first Team Losi kit, is there anything to be aware of concerning building?

Also, the G+ comes pretty well equiped out of the box but what are the must have hop-ups to look for?

Thank you!!
Losi is very good on instructions, Just pay attention when you build the diffs, in which side of the car the screw will go.

What you should consider is using steel outdrives in the front (like the ones that xxx4 is using at the back) I find that the molded ones snap.

Also Carbon shock towers (see DAVE BERNATH's post above)

I have also replaced the aluminum CVDs with steel ones (on bumpy tracks they proven quite fragile)
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm converting mine to a G+. If I'm not mistaken the chassis is the same except for being graphite correct? I want to use the composite chassis for better handling but change everything else to match the G+ setup. I've got the Delrin front arms and I'm looking into carbon fiber frt and rear towers like Dave mentioned. I've got threaded shocks and mounted the rears at the back of the graphite arms. I've also installed the aluminum pivot braces in the front. I'm planning on replacing the diff covers with the graphite ones for better support. I will also change the hinge pins to nitride along with the updated belt and Kevlar spur gear. I've already got a one-way to use so I'm good there. Is there a big difference between the "steel" CVD's and the aluminum one's that come in the G+ kit?

Is there anything else I'm missing?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

I would not use the alum braces, dont use the rear supports were the red cups go, if you strengthen the area with alum the load will go elsewhere and you break a chassis which is not something you want to change at the track.
4wheel carries more speed and does not have the kick-up of a truck or buggy. if you build up the front with delron arms and alum braces you will break a chassis.
as for which bones to use i would suggest sticking with the steel for 2 reasons more durable and the weight savings is not much. the car already accelerates like a rocket and most people have problems because the car is too fast. it took me several races to get the car drivable and predictable. the biggest improvment i think is to make sure you have a fast metal gear servo, due to how quick the car accelrates. i am not a huge fan of the one-way, creates alot of steering i prefer big swaybar in the rear for steering even on the rough tracks.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Tech Adept

i forgot 1 other thing to gain more steering use the losi dog bones in the rear.
helps free up the rear end
Old 08-02-2005, 03:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

whats the best set up for the xxx4g for all round performance????
Old 08-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by grahame
whats the best set up for the xxx4g for all round performance????
That is difficult to say. To my opinion the standard losi kit setup without the rear anti-roll bar would be good all round performance set-up.

But again every track is unique with different set-up requirments
Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 PM

vasilis is correct, every track is different, some with loose dirt, some with packed dirt, some with clay. It also depends what you plan on using your car for. i like to run up and down the street, maybe some home jumping (landing on grass)..you know bash, have fun. OR you can be the serious racer where you have competition equipment and you are very serious about it. but just like vasilis said, for all around performace, just use the setup team losi gives you, and you can run about everywhere pretty good. for my track, i think i would use the sway bar aka anti roll bar because it makes the car handle better and i have a less chance of rolling over
Old 08-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DAVE BERNATH
I would not use the alum braces, dont use the rear supports were the red cups go, if you strengthen the area with alum the load will go elsewhere and you break a chassis which is not something you want to change at the track.
my friend has broken a chassis with all graphite parts.
he has also put all alloy parts on it (braces) and hasnt since broken any part, except the front shock tower.
put it this was you would have to have a really big hit to breakt he chassis

oh yeah, the chassis that he broke was an old graphite one with out the braces near the shock tower.

the other part i break quite offten is the oneway! although i have am gentle when landing of a jump they seem to wear, after a period of time just break.
has anyone heard of an aftermarket one way i think it is apex? has bigger bearings.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony2
my friend has broken a chassis with all graphite parts.
he has also put all alloy parts on it (braces) and hasnt since broken any part, except the front shock tower.
put it this was you would have to have a really big hit to breakt he chassis

oh yeah, the chassis that he broke was an old graphite one with out the braces near the shock tower.

the other part i break quite offten is the oneway! although i have am gentle when landing of a jump they seem to wear, after a period of time just break.
has anyone heard of an aftermarket one way i think it is apex? has bigger bearings.
Originally Posted by cartmen34
http://dcracing.co.uk/dcrshop/produc...8f25290700db3a
It also comes in red. I've got one for my G+ and another on the way for my X-5. Zero issues after racing once a week for the entire winter.
search is your friend.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Thank you very much cartmen but i did search, i guess it must have been a man look, missed it.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony2
Thank you very much cartmen but i did search, i guess it must have been a man look, missed it.
No worries. I'd seriously recommend one. I love mine!

BUT... don't bother with one if you're planning on getting and X-5 anytime soon. It wont't fit, and you can't make it fit unless you have access to a machine shop and the skills to go along with it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.