Losi xxx-4

Old 07-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'm getting a XXXG+ in the mail tomorrow and everything's graphite except for the chassis. I'm also getting the Delrin front arms and aluminum braces. My question is this. With all this durability up front do I now risk the chance of breaking the chassis or does it just make it that much stronger and less prone to break?

Also...what's the best motor to run with this? I'm thinking a 10x1 Reedy Ti Worlds Edition.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I'd rather have the chassis break after 100 crashes than the arms break after 5. Chassis is I think $40 and arms are like $12 for L&R. Anything I could do to keep any part of my car from breaking I would do. I'd much rather break the chassis on some humongous crash than have the arms break everytime the car cartwheels and lands on an arm during a race. This may not be an issue if you don't crash, though

I run a Tem Orion Revolution Steenari Pro Edition Motor 12x2, I wouldn't trade my top speed of 45mph for anything. I'm sure I give up a little in acceleration, but at some point you accelerate so fast you lose traction. It already spins the tires on asphalt with Bowties on.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Goonish
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up a XXX-4 pretty soon and I heard there were issues with the Losi one-way. Has that been resolved yet? If not, is there a 3rd party aftermarket one?

How about a quick run down of the main issues with the XXX-4 and how they can be overcome?

Yes, I'm demanding but I like to be concise.

Thanks.
http://dcracing.co.uk/dcrshop/produc...8f25290700db3a
It also comes in red. I've got one for my G+ and another on the way for my X-5. Zero issues after racing once a week for the entire winter.

main issues?
The newest version of the arms are pretty tough, but I'd carry a spare set to the race track. Of course, thats a good idea for any car you race.
I'd say the only real issue is the slightly fragile front lower arm mounts. They tend to snap when a backwards force is applied. (Like an a-arm getting forced straight back!)
Some people run the aluminum arm mounts front and rear, but then they seem to break diff covers, which require just as much money and work to replace, soooo.....

And toss the stock xxx-4G+ setup out the door. It blows unless you race on hardpacked and jumpless surfaces.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Has anyone "doubled up" the shock towers for more durability?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just got one...any links or suggestions for a good setup? I need to get a good one-way, mine's smoked...what about doing a diff or a spool?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is there any difference between the standard XXX4 rear arms and the G+ arms?

Also which upgrade is better...heavy duty black belt or updated ex-yellow belt.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Terry M
Has anyone "doubled up" the shock towers for more durability?
I've not found it necessary to do so.

Originally Posted by Terry M
Is there any difference between the standard XXX4 rear arms and the G+ arms?

Also which upgrade is better...heavy duty black belt or updated ex-yellow belt.
the G+ arms are graphite injected, the standard ones are not.

The yellow belt came in my G+ kit. I've seen no reason to swap it out for anything else. It looks brand new after a winters worth of racing.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I just got one...any links or suggestions for a good setup? I need to get a good one-way, mine's smoked...what about doing a diff or a spool?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by cartmen34
http://dcracing.co.uk/dcrshop/produ...98f25290700db3a
It also comes in red. I've got one for my G+ and another on the way for my X-5. Zero issues after racing once a week for the entire winter.

I've found the diff to make the car very unpredictable, especially when landing from jumps or skipping across ruts and holes. A one-way seems to calm things down a little.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have doubled the front tower since our tracks tend to rut up quickly and can toss you weird with the chance of breaking the tower. I broke one and that was enuf for me. Doubled up now and not one break since.
In reply to the black belt vs. the ex yellow belt...I bought the G+ and it came with a yellow belt however the tensioner pulley is the same as the regular xxx4. I looked at the ex yellow bely and noticed it had a longer pulley arm and a dual raced bearing in the tensioner pulley as opposed to the single bearing pulley stock. My bearing burned out quickly in the stock pulley so the upgrade was a given for me. I was able to run the belt slightly looser with minimal skipping on hard braking with a front diff installed while the car ran smoother than before having freed up some drive line tension. Good investment for sure.
I also found it a good idea to replace the "ti" turnbuckles with true lundsford turnbuckles since the stock ones (even the G+ ones) bent on me rather easily.
Another good option for the car from Losi is the aluminum inner hinge pin supports. I got them when I bought the car and glad I did, the abuse some tracks dish out is worth the preventative investment since I have seen some people break the stock pieces.
Depending on the track the front diff can make it harder to drive. I find on a real nice smooth surface or tight smooth track the one way is the real deal but on some dusty tracks with ruts the one way just wasn't doing it as well for me, however those tracks I went to the diff with have high speed going into a hard turn right away needing brakes quite often.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys, I will be getting a XXX-G+ very soon it will be my first Team Losi kit, is there anything to be aware of concerning building?

Also, the G+ comes pretty well equiped out of the box but what are the must have hop-ups to look for?

Thank you!!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

going by current trends the best hop up for your xxx4 is one less X
Old 07-25-2005, 06:04 AM
Tech Adept

It doesn't really need much. Just appropriate tires for the track and you could get the HD belt and pully set.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

going by current trends the best hop up for your xxx4 is one less X
Yeah, I did hear that the XX-4 handles better, so what Team Losi drivers will be running at the worlds?

Does the XX-4 works better in every situations? Is it available?

Thank you for your input!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tbevofreak
Yeah, I did hear that the XX-4 handles better, so what Team Losi drivers will be running at the worlds?

Does the XX-4 works better in every situations? Is it available?

Thank you for your input!
I think the only time a xxx-4 would be better is if the track is smooth and minimal jumps or no jumps. Anytime the track ruts up or has bigger style jumps, I think the xx-4 will shine. There's a big rumor running around that losi is looking at re-releasing it, but with a few mods to make it easier to work on.

If you can find a shop that has a NIB xx-4we, do tell!!
I don't know of any shop that has one, and finding a used xx-4 in even slightly decent shape is getting harder and harder by the month.

You might want to take a look at the X-5. I'm building up my second one right now, and it's a decent kit. Not exactly up to factory manufacturing quality, but the car is definitely up there in performance. You can get lots of xx-4 parts from the guy who makes the kit. (www.4wdrc.com)
Old 07-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

This XXX4 I bought that was already built has me asking a couple questions?

1) Why would the guy mount the rear shocks (in front) of the arms.

2) Why would he have the steering bellcrank mounts in the (forward holes) in the chassis instead of the rears like the manual states?

Were these done for a particular type of handling issue or just blatant mistakes when he built it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.