Losi xxx-4

Old 02-06-2005, 04:41 PM
DEH
Tech Initiate

Ghoppa

The best advertised price you will find is most likely going to be $329.00. I believe Horizons sets that price.

However; If you call some of these places they can quote you a cheaper price.

Ultimate hobbies in Orange, Ca has them for $289.00.

Good luck
Old 02-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

quick question... if you use holeshots rear...you'd go with holeshots fronts right? So, if i use bowties rear, what would I use in the front since there's not bowtie fronts?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

It really comes down to the track. Just because they are the same doesn't mean they are the ticket for the fastest set up. At our track, which has pretty good traction (indoor, hard clay), we use pink tapers front and rear or pink tapers in front and x-2000 in rear. We usually go with x-2000 untill the track comes up with rubber getting laid down. At big races like the April Fools classic, I've heard of guys scrubbing their tapers dowwnb to slicks or just running slicks all together. The point is that you can mix and match.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Just bought a xxx-4 and love it. Does anyone have a good set-up for a fast, smooth, blue groove track? Base line set-ups for other tracks don't usually work at our track. Lots of weight transfer.
What is the thickest shock set-up that you guys have run, and been happy with?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Aluma, there just aren't many tires made for 4WD fronts. Pro-Line makes Holeshots and Losi makes Blockheads and Tapers. Losi used to make IFMAR Pins, but they're getting hard to find.

Most of the time if the track calls for Tapers in the rear, Paul runs Tapers in the front, but sometimes that steers too much and we run Blockheads. Usually, but not always, Paul runs Holeshots with Holeshots. If we've got IFMAR Pins and we're using IFMARs on the back, then IFMARs on front.

Most other rear tires get Blockheads.

Almost always with the standard Losi rear foam in the fronts.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hmmm...if I had that type of track it'd be great! we run rather muddy...but not loamy enough to go spiked tires or dry enough to use small pin tires or X2000's. I guess I'll just get bowties up front...although I thought that they'd be too wide to use with the thinner front rim.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

As far as I know, you've got two choices: use one of the four tires made for 4WD front I mentioned before, or use the buggy rear tire you want, cut out the middle and glue it back together to make it fit.

Bowties in the back probably use Blockheads up front, or maybe Holeshots.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

xmxer:
Ryan Cavalieri's set up posted in an older RC Car Action has a good set up. Here are the basics:
Use a front one way for more steering on high traction tracks. 25-30 weight oil all around. Pink springs back, dark green front. Arms level in front and rear. Pink tapers all around. Stock pistons. Shock mounting: Center top back, inside back arm. Center top front, inside front arm. Not sure of thee rest. Sorry, in my office and not near my car.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks bro. I'll give that a try.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

This may have been asked already, but I was not able to find an answer.

Are the diffs, or the drivetrain as a whole, sealed from dust and whatnot, or just large rocks and gravel?

Thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes in general. The diffs and belt system are sealed away from debris but a small amount of fine dust still finds it's way in eventually. However you should rebuild them and the thrust bearings every once in a while depending how smooth you like it.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Rookie

The drive train is sealed fairly good, but you will still get dust in there.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: XXX4 mods

Originally posted by ScottyP
Interested in hearing feedback from anyone who has tried a couple of mods I've heard and read about.

First one is running a different length link between the steering bellcranks to reduce the ackerman effect. Think from memory you need a shorter link.

Personally I don't like the enormous ackerman effect and would like the outside wheel to turn in more. Anyone tried this?

Second mod is running the inner rear arm mount on the front from the XXX-S. Apparently this allows the inner hinge pins to be almost parallel, as opposed to standard, which is toe'd in quite a bit.

Not sure what effect this has, except for shortening the wheel-base slightly and putting a bit more weight up front. Anyone tried this?

Cheers,
Scotty P.
Old topic but I thought I would anwer...

the shorter drag link does reduce the amount of ackerman on the car, when we use that we also use for forward ackerman position.
I have also increased the lenght of my steering arms in an attempt to get more lock on the outside wheel.
I have dont all of this for racing in the UK on the high traction tracks we have, its not possible to 'pivot' around the corners like you do on dirt, we have to drive the turns and I was finding that the car did not have enough lock for a tight turning circle to drive the tight hairpins.

using the xxx-s front blocks to straighten the 'toe-in' of the front hinge pins was again done for the high traction UK racing, when I race on dirt I go back to the standard xxx-4 blocks.
the reason we did/do this is having the pivots straight and not toe-ing in seems to make the front suspension stay up more when cornering. on dirt you won't get this problem but we were finding that we were picking up the inside rear wheel all the time, sometimes 1 inch off the ground when cornering hard, it would not traction roll but the front would roll in the corner, the back would not roll as well and it would pick up the inside rear

very strange to watch a group of xxx-4 racing around with every single one with the inside rear up in the air
Old 02-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

forgot to add... a picture of my steering mods
Attached Thumbnails Losi xxx-4-steering.jpg  
Old 02-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anyone know of any websites that sell replacement and/or aftermarket parts for this car? No websites I find carry parts for this car, and most don't carry the car itself.

I know DPM Racing makes some parts, but their website (http://www.DPMRacing.com) seems to be down.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.