Losi xxx-4

Old 01-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

New belt should be dark green. (I think)
Old 01-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

The XXX-4 comes with a green or yellow belt, i believe these are the same lenght, but the yellow one being a low-friction type, similar to the XXX-S G+ belt wich is also yellow. The std. belt on the XXX-S is blue/black and the newest, low friction with new tensioner is pure black.
The HD belt-kit for the XXX-4 has a yellow belt and a new tensioner.
Hope this cleared out things a bit.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My car appears to have a yellow belt and the new tensioner, except the pully is screwed into the near hole on the new tensioner. The near hole is the same radius out as the original tensioner. I also got a green belt as a spare with the car. I am half expecting one of the belts to be the new longer one since the car has the new tensioner.

Anybody got a belt not in their car that they can measure the length of?? If you can measure one, be sure to tell me if that length is the short or long length. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

the XXX-4 does not have a 'long' belt as such.

the differance in the HD drive kit for the XXX-4 is that the arm is a different thickness or something and it different in the way it connects to the spur shaft. the tensioner wheel is in the same place on both the old belt and new belt for XXX-4.
another update on the HD belt kit was that the tensioner pulley now has 2 bearings instead of just one.

yellow belt is the low friction one, green belt is the one that comes in the g+ kit.

the xxx-s belt kit DOES have a longer belt (longer as in longer than kit xxx-s G+ belt) and it uses the longer setting in the tensioner arm and it also has a larger tensioner pulley.

Hope that info helps
Old 01-13-2005, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

ah ha, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info
Old 01-13-2005, 11:00 AM
DEH
Tech Initiate

Default Doughty is right.

I thought the yellow belt was longer... I was wrong, though. I just measured both belts side by side and they are the same except for the width.

The new tensioner arm does not slide in like the old syle. Its attached with the screw that holds the spur/slipper assembly in. And it does have 2 bearings.

I have 2 xxx4s. One with a green and with the yellow. The yellow does seem to be a bit more free. The yellow does skip a bit more under braking, when running a diff. When I run the one-way I notice an occasional skip, but its nothing bad.

Speaking of one-ways... I just installed the Apex one-way. I'm running it later today. It is one beefy unit. A little heavy, but I don't think I'll have to replace any one-way bearings anymore. We'll see.

D
Old 01-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I swear the HD belt is a couple teeth longer as it appears the tension pulley sits a bit farther back than the stock one. I bought the G+ and upgraded to the HD belt set and it does make a difference.
The reason for the pulley sitting a bit further back is to allow you to run the belt with a bit less tension while keeping the skipping to a minimum. This way with the slightly longer belt the tension pulley can come up higher making more contact around the spur pulley. I would compare the stock pulley arm with the HD one to be sure if you don't believe me. And yes the HD pulley has two bearings. I found out the hard way why that is good.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

From all of this I have concluded this: I have a XXX-4 with the Hd kit pulley and pulley arm running a yellow belt. I may switch to the green belt to get rid of some of the skipping (brushless is rough on stuff). Hopefully this car will drive like my XX-4 just wihtout the very innefficient drivetrain.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:02 PM
DEH
Tech Initiate

Default The long and short of it....

The yellow belt I measured against the green had 259t 4mm printed on it. The green has nothing on it. I guess its possible the Yellow has couple more teeth, but I aint counting them.

My xxx-4 with the yellow belt is powered with a Hacker B40 7 turn carbon can motor. The speed control is a Schulze U-force 75. Great top end, loads of torque and super smooth. It also has the Apex one-way. The yellow belt is working great with this combo. Skips occasionally, but I'm running it loose.

The Apex held up really well. Which is no surprise. I practiced with this car at SoCal raceway yesterday. I also ran my other green belted car. It has a 9 double Revolution motor and after running the brushless my brushed setup seemed slow.

D
Old 01-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run the Novak 5800 in mine with the HD belt. I got a bit of skippin under braking but not now that I use a one way in the front.
And indeed a lot of my cars feel slow compared to this car now, only one (my XB8 ) keeps up.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Is the Apex One-Way discontinued?
I can't find it on their site............
Old 02-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Erlend
Is the Apex One-Way discontinued?
I can't find it on their site............
He's right, I can't seem to find one either. I know it was on the site last week, because I ordered one. I hope they still have them!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Aluminum Shock tower????

Does anyone tried fabricating aluminum shock towers for your xxx-4? Is it advisable to use one?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
DEH
Tech Initiate

Default Aluminum

An aluminum tower would look nice, but unfortunately in a crash it would transfer the energy to the chassis and break the chassis.

The new Graphite plus(fiberglass) towers are much better than the old plastic ones. They still break if you hit something hard enough, but don't hurt the chassis. Usually....
Old 02-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (98%+)
Default best price

Anybody know who carries the xxx-4 g+ for the best price (on line)?????

I am ready to buy one!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.