Losi xxx-4

Old 02-23-2004, 11:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by jswinkos
new to the xxx4 forum. just got a xxx4G+ and wanted some setting suggestions. I run at SoCal raceway. Tight, technical track with hardpacked wettish dirt/clay. I built the car with the stock settings and had no on-power steering and the car would get thrown around on the bumps. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I run on a track that is fairly bumpy and tight, but probably not the same surface as yours. The Losi taper pins should work pretty well on all hard surfaces but check with the guys running there as to the best tyres to run.

I have changed the oil in front and back to 25wt and removed the swaybar. This should help in settling the car over the bumps.

Make sure you have the ride height set correctly and possibly lower the front or raise the rear a little bit. I also use the more aggressive front pivot mount (5 deg), which is supposed to upset the car over bumps a little more but I find the steering is much more responsive and aggressive.

Also check that you aren't running too much toe out which is supposed to give you less steering from the middle of the turn out.

Lastly, use the guide in the back of the manual (I've found this quite good) and try things one at a time.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The manual's front steering link setup is more like 2 or 3 degrees + vs the 1 degree + that's on the stock setup sheet.

I set mine to no toe-in or out, used the larger diff gear in the front for the 'overdrive' setting, picked up the 1 degree rear hubs spaced all the way back running on rear arms flipped (as per g+ manual). Rear ride height should be higher than the front.

Only one race so far but it was very easy to drive. Still pushed some on power but cut back on the power a little and I had tons of steering.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

What does swapping the rear arms left to right and right to left supposed to do?
Old 02-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

The arms are swept, so if you have the shocks on the back of the rear tower then you should flip the rear arms also so the shocks angle matches the arm angle from anti-squat better. You also need to run your hubs .060" further back then you did with left on left, right on right b/c of that sweep.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hey indianapolis guys. i have heard that a lot more people are buying xxx4s. from what i have heard there should be 5 or 6 each weekend. i just got a G+ version and sold my old one to a guy at planet. i know of a couple more people who are looking into getting one. just to let you know
Old 03-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

hi i just got my xxx4 g+ and i'm going to start building it tom. what tips, things that i should be aware of, pointers that you can share?

thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

I thought the arms were the same as the xxx buggy..?? They are symetrical. They are only swept by the angle of the hinge pin. (toe in).
Old 03-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

They are not symetrical.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Things that make you go hmmmmm.........

I'll have to check mine out.

Just to confirm... the xxx arms are symetrical right? Just not the 4wd?
Old 03-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Don't the XX, XX4, XXX, and XXX4 all use the same rear arms? I used to own both a XXX and XX4, and I remember that with the XX4, you mounted the armed marked "L" on the right side of the car, and vice versa. It has something to do with the shocks being mounted on the back of the tower versus the front. I got my XX4 used and I thought the former owner had mounted the rear arms backwards until I looked it up on Losi's site.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi y'all! new to the XXX-4 scene here...

anyway, I built my G+ to box stats a week ago or so and have run it once at the track. I found that the rear end jumps up when
running over certain bumps. It's really unnerving watching it...running on the straight and all of a sudden seeing your car running on its front wheels only.. I was discussing this with the guys at RCZone. I even found a setup for bumpy loamy track from Team Losi setups. softer springs with 35wt oil all around. Do y'all think its good to get the alum. steering arms from the XXXS? How about the alum. braces for hingepins? Oh yeah and one more thing... where do I get carbon fiber shock tower braces... I already broke the stock rear one. :P
Old 03-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Broke outdrive adjusting fromt diff...

Plastic/graphite outdrive broke when I tightened it using the same technique as my XXX-s (ie. holding the spur with my hand, the outdrive with an allen wrence and turning the tire)....

Kind of a bummer.

Is there a better way to tighten/adjust the diff?

Anyone running the metal outdrives up front as well?

thanks,

rev9
Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Aluma
hi y'all! new to the XXX-4 scene here...

anyway, I built my G+ to box stats a week ago or so and have run it once at the track. I found that the rear end jumps up when
running over certain bumps. It's really unnerving watching it...running on the straight and all of a sudden seeing your car running on its front wheels only.. I was discussing this with the guys at RCZone. I even found a setup for bumpy loamy track from Team Losi setups. softer springs with 35wt oil all around. Do y'all think its good to get the alum. steering arms from the XXXS? How about the alum. braces for hingepins? Oh yeah and one more thing... where do I get carbon fiber shock tower braces... I already broke the stock rear one. :P
The first thing you want to do if you're running on anything but a smooth blue grooved track is loose the sway bar. Then, like you said, go to a softer spring and a slightly heavier oil and adjust from there. The bouncing around is an overactive rear suspension. Too light of an oil makes it easy for the bumps to compress the suspension and too heavy of a spring allows too quick of a rebound which gives you the pogo stick effect.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks...

oh, do y'all know where I can get those carbon braces?
and are the aluminum steering arms necessary or good to have?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

HeY hEy!!!

you should be able to get them from your hobby shop, but if not tower hobbies should have them then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.