Losi xxx-4

Old 01-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

I really don't put much aluminum on my cars. The new towers are already brought down some from the orginal but if you want to take them down much lower your may loose to much up travel but I guess it's a worthy try. One of the funnest things in the hobby is to actually experiment with different stuff.

My next mofication is to see if I can get a differential/oneway combo to work someway. The cars with a front end diff work better in the bumps but loose to much corner speed from not having the oneway. However I'm having trouble finding the correct sized oneway/clutch bearings to make it work. So if anyone knows where to find loads of clutch bearings in all difference sizes let me know.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Andrew_XXXs
Anyone had any problems with the front spindle carriers breaking on the G+. I have broken both right and left and both were from small taps with the edge of the track...

If anyone knows of a stronger part replacement...???

YEP, I broke both the right and left too last friday nite. Nothing else broke and neither of them were hard hits at all. I was suprised both times when it happened. If I whack something and it breaks no biggie to me, but this was not like that.

I bought some spares, and will keep an eye on them now.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by treky11
YEP, I broke both the right and left too last friday nite. Nothing else broke and neither of them were hard hits at all. I was suprised both times when it happened. If I whack something and it breaks no biggie to me, but this was not like that.

I bought some spares, and will keep an eye on them now.
Use trinity's outdrive savers. The plastic outdrives that come with the kit will not withstand the abuse off-road tracks dish out. They will break even if you don't crash.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by cartmen34
Use trinity's outdrive savers. The plastic outdrives that come with the kit will not withstand the abuse off-road tracks dish out. They will break even if you don't crash.
Spindle carriers are at the end of the arm where the upper camber link attaches.

I too have broke several of these. One thing I noticed while doing routine maint was that one of them had a hairline crack in the bottom of it. This means that the next tap would have broken it making it seem like it was made of glass.

I'm not saying that they are the sturdies pieces but they should be carefully inspected between heats.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anyone having trouble getting the kingpin screws? I lost one when I broke a spindal and nobody has them. Everyone's backordered.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Tony Soprano
Spindle carriers are at the end of the arm where the upper camber link attaches.

I too have broke several of these. One thing I noticed while doing routine maint was that one of them had a hairline crack in the bottom of it. This means that the next tap would have broken it making it seem like it was made of glass.

I'm not saying that they are the sturdies pieces but they should be carefully inspected between heats.
Thanks all, looks like the answer to this one is buy spares and keep and eye on them...
Old 01-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Has anyone seen any info about the BK bones losi is bringing out? I'm eventually going to need to replace the current bones and a conversion to these would be nice...
Old 01-18-2004, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

the bk bones have ball bearings on the ends instead of pins. supposedly a lot freer and faster through the corners. they are supposed to be in stores in a few weeks. i would wait to see them.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Is anyone running the new front Tech? oneway from speedtech I beleive. I have one on order and would like to know what you think.
Nick
Old 01-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Guys,

I am dissapointed that there is no interest in an aluminum front bulkhead/diff cover. Whats the hang up? Worried about breaking the chassis?

The parts would be as light as the plastic counterparts (or VERY close) and are going to have some very cool looking traits.

These will go for sub $50........
Old 01-21-2004, 12:11 AM
Tech Regular

I know it's not the Buy/sell area, but thought I get a better and quicker respond here.

I like to get a used XXX-4 G+ kit, good price. Please email me @
[email protected]. It would be great if you can also send me a picture of it.

Thanks

Last edited by Jasonchi; 01-21-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by PitCrew
Guys,

I am dissapointed that there is no interest in an aluminum front bulkhead/diff cover. Whats the hang up? Worried about breaking the chassis?

The parts would be as light as the plastic counterparts (or VERY close) and are going to have some very cool looking traits.

These will go for sub $50........
Adding weight would be my hang up. Any weight added to the front would slow down initial turn-in and add on power steering. I'm always looking for the most turn in I can get.

Here's some parts I would be interested in.

Rear Pivot support to give 3 deg of toe in besides the factory default of 2.

A rear pivot support to give me 2 deg anti-squat and 3 deg of toe in.

Rear Pivot mounts to move the hinge pin in by .100" so the car could run the BK2 rearend (this would require milling to the chassis also so not sure if its possible without weakening things to much.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just purchased a XXX-4 graphite kit over the weekend, started putting it together last night and ran into a problem ...

I built the spur / slipper and went to slide it into the chassis and found it to be extremely tight, i.e. had to pull the channel apart some to get it to fit! The manual states you might have to squeeze the channel together to screw the spur in. Now if I try to slide the pulley arm in it basically pins the whole thing so tight together it doesn't move.

To me this looks like a bad chassis, too much material where I'm supposed to mount this up. Has this happened to anyone else? I own a xxx-s g+ kit and don't remember it being this far off. I'm planning on contacting losi today about a replacement.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Mine was a little on the tight side but once it's in there, the bearings should still be able to spin free. Todd Hodge has a thread on here. He should be able to help. He's a great guy.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

aaronb73

Mine was tight also, the slipper nut was rubbing on the arm. I also asked Losi what was up....They said to check the spacer that goes on the end of the bearing, the one between the bearing and chassis. Mine was correct. I added another bearing shim, (from spare stuff) and with a jewelers file, removed some of the burr edge off of the arm and slipper nut where it rotates together.
very smooth now, no rubbing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.