Losi xxx-4

Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Finally dove in and started grinding. It turned out pretty well. I still have some work to do, but I'll get to try it this weekend...

Old 12-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisWolfson
Finally dove in and started grinding. It turned out pretty well. I still have some work to do, but I'll get to try it this weekend...

Looking Good
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions??

Very nice job of modifying but how is this going to affect the geometry?
The longer forward movement will give you more side to side movement and increased steering but won't it give you decreased ackerman? It looks like you are using the forward mounting position can you still use the back one to increase the ackerman if you want?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlGio
Very nice job of modifying but how is this going to affect the geometry?
The longer forward movement will give you more side to side movement and increased steering but won't it give you decreased ackerman? It looks like you are using the forward mounting position can you still use the back one to increase the ackerman if you want?
This is a mod you will find on most of the TLR factory guy's cars. I don't think decreasing the ackerman is a bad thing. If your car was anything like mine, it was very twitchy and decreasing the ackerman, I believe should smooth that out since the inside tire shouldn't be turning as far as before in relation to the outside tire. Theoretically they should be closer to the same angle. I'm told the mod makes the car more stable from the middle of the corner off, which in my mind would make sense. This should let you drive the car harder and faster. As far as the mounting position, it is neither. It is a new mounting position outside of the back holes. It requires dremeling out the existing hex sections and creating a new set of holes. The bell cranks now sit wider than they did in stock form.

I'm really looking forward to running it this weekend. I just ran it in stock form last weekend, so I should really be able to compare the different setups.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I wrapped up the steering mod today. Rack is done, posts are epoxied onto the chassis, and the front bumper is trimmed and tucked. I'm happy with how this project turned out. Took a few hours to get it done, but I'm looking forward to wheeling it tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What is a good kv to run in this car? I have a 5800kv do you think it would be fast enough?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DC#14
What is a good kv to run in this car? I have a 5800kv do you think it would be fast enough?
I can tell you I run an Xcelorin 6.5 in my XXX4. You'll have to figure out comparables to that in kv. I'm not sure what the comparison is.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

I am in need of some new MIP front CVD dogbones, are they still available??? I just brought my XXX4 out of retirement to race indoor carpet off-road.

Hold up. where did you get those aluminum hubs Mr. Wolfson??? Are you using any mods to the front diff cover? I just cut the "ear's" of a broken shock tower and tap holes into the chassis and diff cover to put the little brace on. After breaking every heat at a new track I finally decided to do that mod lol! One more question for you; are you using the slipper?? I've been running a xxx-s spur instead and so far so good, even on a carpet track I haven't had any drive line breaks because of it. That slipper is a piece of (*&% IMO

Last edited by BrodieMan; 01-25-2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

novak 7.5's are 5800kV, not sure if xcelorin are rated the same. I run a novak Velociti 6.5 in mine, it's faster than I will ever need.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
I am in need of some new MIP front CVD dogbones, are they still available??? I just brought my XXX4 out of retirement to race indoor carpet off-road.

Hold up. where did you get those aluminum hubs Mr. Wolfson??? Are you using any mods to the front diff cover? I just cut the "ear's" of a broken shock tower and tap holes into the chassis and diff cover to put the little brace on. After breaking every heat at a new track I finally decided to do that mod lol! One more question for you; are you using the slipper?? I've been running a xxx-s spur instead and so far so good, even on a carpet track I haven't had any drive line breaks because of it. That slipper is a piece of (*&% IMO
The cvd's aren't available anymore to the best of my knowledge. Most are using lcd's from Losi. The hubs are 0 degree bk2 hubs from trinity. They have been discontinued for some time but I've had them for awhile. You could check eBay and for sale threads for those parts. Sometimes you get lucky...
Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Dang Chris that looks sweet! I have been wanting to run 4w for a while. Let me know if this mod really brings the car to life. If it does want to make me one.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JP.R
Dang Chris that looks sweet! I have been wanting to run 4w for a while. Let me know if this mod really brings the car to life. If it does want to make me one.
It makes a huge difference. I think it makes the car much more stable and able to hold a line from the middle of the corner off. The old steering usually felt more like I had to baby the car coming off the corner. This let's me drive the car more aggressively. I'm a big fan...
Old 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisWolfson
It makes a huge difference. I think it makes the car much more stable and able to hold a line from the middle of the corner off. The old steering usually felt more like I had to baby the car coming off the corner. This let's me drive the car more aggressively. I'm a big fan...
Looks great, just picked up a second hand xxx4 myself and am busy going though her trying to get her back to running shape. hoping to perform this mod while i have her stripped. Does not look like too tough of a job.

I am sure it has been covered but, quick question.

Have an Orion Vortex Race Spec ESC and Vortex 6.5T motor. Car has the 92T in it. I have a handfull of pinions from 17T thru 20T, what do you recommend as a starting point?? Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by XB8emUP
Looks great, just picked up a second hand xxx4 myself and am busy going though her trying to get her back to running shape. hoping to perform this mod while i have her stripped. Does not look like too tough of a job.

I am sure it has been covered but, quick question.

Have an Orion Vortex Race Spec ESC and Vortex 6.5T motor. Car has the 92T in it. I have a handfull of pinions from 17T thru 20T, what do you recommend as a starting point?? Thanks
What kind of track? Surface? Size?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What do you have to do when it comes down to the front bumper mod. When you say trim and tuck the bumper? I just want to make sure I do it correctly. Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.