Losi xxx-4

Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Thanks for the link . I'll probably stay with plastic for now though. I'm already using aluminum braces all over and doubled up shock towers so there might be a lack of a weakpoint in the front end that will give if ever I get into a serious crash.

Another question, I've heard that the carriers are weak in the XXX-4 although mine have survived some serious crashes already. Where exactly does it break?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Armstrong
This is good too. The only down side is probably the posts sticking out of the body. But I like the fact that it is adjustable which is helpful if you have different batt packs.
Yeah, I trimmed down the front post a bit. I also need to put some Velcro on the battery as a 2nd secure method from it sliding around.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the link . I'll probably stay with plastic for now though. I'm already using aluminum braces all over and doubled up shock towers so there might be a lack of a weakpoint in the front end that will give if ever I get into a serious crash.

Another question, I've heard that the carriers are weak in the XXX-4 although mine have survived some serious crashes already. Where exactly does it break?
The front carriers and spindles do break when you clip a wheel sometimes... no more often than any other 4wd out there. This happens more when you have the updated graphite (crossbraced) arms. They break where the hinge/screw holds to the arm.

Jerome
Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
The front carriers and spindles do break when you clip a wheel sometimes... no more often than any other 4wd out there. This happens more when you have the updated graphite (crossbraced) arms. They break where the hinge/screw holds to the arm.

Jerome

Yup, I was screwing around in practice on sunday, cliped the plastic pipe and blew up the carrier.

I've had my xxx-4 for about 2-3 months and I've probably broken 4 carriers.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As I've said before, we have just about every 4wd out there racing at our local track. When racing modified, every car can and will break. The XXX-4, contrary to the "Net Parrot" that squawk about how "fragile" they are... are wrong.. I'm one of the few that run the XXX-4 around here and it hardly breaks at all... I've been on the same belt and gear set for close to a year now... I've broken a couple of shock towers, a few spindles and carriers and a front cvd axle in a years worth of racing. I'd say that's not so bad.

The XXX-4 is a tough old girl. Takes a bit of tuning and know-how to get her to handle good.. but its still competitive.

Jerome
Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The XXX-4 is a tough old girl. Takes a bit of tuning and know-how to get her to handle good.. but its still competitive.
+1

I use J Concepts front carriers.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
As I've said before, we have just about every 4wd out there racing at our local track. When racing modified, every car can and will break. The XXX-4, contrary to the "Net Parrot" that squawk about how "fragile" they are... are wrong.. I'm one of the few that run the XXX-4 around here and it hardly breaks at all... I've been on the same belt and gear set for close to a year now... I've broken a couple of shock towers, a few spindles and carriers and a front cvd axle in a years worth of racing. I'd say that's not so bad.

Jerome
I agree, my car has taken a great deal of punishment.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

I guess I have to stock up on a few spare sets of spindles and carriers. That's probably the only part left that's prone to breaking in my buggy provided I don't do anything stupid like dive bombing other guys .

In the king pin mod, I understand that you need to drill larger holes to the front arms. Won't they make the arms weaker that way?

Any link to those J-concepts carriers? Are those the ones that come from BJ4s?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=JeromeK99;5749583]As I've said before, we have just about every 4wd out there racing at our local track. When racing modified, every car can and will break. The XXX-4, contrary to the "Net Parrot" that squawk about how "fragile" they are... are wrong.. I'm one of the few that run the XXX-4 around here and it hardly breaks at all... I've been on the same belt and gear set for close to a year now... I've broken a couple of shock towers, a few spindles and carriers and a front cvd axle in a years worth of racing. I'd say that's not so bad.

Yes i'm sick of all the trash talk about the xxx-4 at my track. Losi is all I have and ever will run... The XXX-4 with the proper setup and driver is most deadly 4wd out there period. It is belt driven and weighs almost a whole pound less than the b44 w/out batteries in either buggy. I do get tired of breaking mine sometimes BUT the performance is second to none
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

I guess I have to stock up on a few spare sets of spindles and carriers. That's probably the only part left that's prone to breaking in my buggy provided I don't do anything stupid like dive bombing other guys .

In the king pin mod, I understand that you need to drill larger holes to the front arms. Won't they make the arms weaker that way?

Any link to those J-concepts carriers? Are those the ones that come from BJ4s?
The ones from a main work flawlessly... the link is up above or prev page
Old 04-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...75ef6c40af1234

I'm sure the amains would work flawlessly....If they were ever in stock
*Edit* Alright, actually they are in stock, but I've had this rig for over 4 years, and those things were never there, I even called for like 6 months....nothin. So if anyone is interested in the AMR products..I recommend not waiting to purchase. My 2c

Last edited by Alltapdout; 05-01-2009 at 04:42 AM. Reason: I'm a dumb-ass...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the links. I'll try those if my stock ones break.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Could anybody tell me what the a starting place for a 10.5 motor gearing would be for a small indoor track.

Also the output gear ratio of the xxx-4 transmission.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

also what are people gearing the xxx-4 with a 5.5?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Im running 18 92 with a 6.5, gives ya something to go off

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.