Losi xxx-4

Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

^ thats a pretty good way

i have mine with thumb screws it works well too.

question : i have a 8.5 brushless with a pq5000mah 30c lipo and a 97tooth spur as for pinion gears what would you suggest ?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp
Aluminum Pivot mounts

is your battery strap not snug with the battery?

I used some 1/18th body posts to make mine adjustable. I remember reading someone else bought some 1/12th AE posts to do a similar one:

This is good too. The only down side is probably the posts sticking out of the body. But I like the fact that it is adjustable which is helpful if you have different batt packs.

Wholeshot, do you have a picture of your setup? I'm considering a thumbscrew setup using body posts too but it wouldn't look flush on the chassis without making the rectangular base.

Try a 16t first, read somewhere that 16t is the lowest you can go in a BL setup without stressing the spur too much.

Last edited by Armstrong; 04-26-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

here ya go

Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default brushless motors & esc's that fit clean

I've been reading most of this thread, and appreciate all the advice & experience herein.

I tried installing a VXL EXC & motor into my XXX-4 and the ESC didn't fit well at all. I had to stand it on end with shoe glue and it still interfered with the body.

Also I had to cut the body all up to get the motor to fit. The motor was too long and a bit too wide diameter to fit under the body without grossly deforming it. I had to cut major holes in the body to get the motor to fit well.

I was never happy with the fit or my mangled body, so I removed the VXL and am in the market for another BL ESC/motor combo that fits well in the chassis; I'll buy a new body as well.

Anyone got a list of which BL ESC's & motors will fit under the stock body, still leaving plenty of room to run wires, etc? FYI I have the original xxx-4 (non-graphite) in case that makes a difference.

Thanks for all advice.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wholeshot
here ya go
Thanks. That cleared things up. I like the flat battery strap. The ribbings on mine rub the body. I might do something similar

Originally Posted by rfeagan
I've been reading most of this thread, and appreciate all the advice & experience herein.

I tried installing a VXL EXC & motor into my XXX-4 and the ESC didn't fit well at all. I had to stand it on end with shoe glue and it still interfered with the body.

Also I had to cut the body all up to get the motor to fit. The motor was too long and a bit too wide diameter to fit under the body without grossly deforming it. I had to cut major holes in the body to get the motor to fit well.

I was never happy with the fit or my mangled body, so I removed the VXL and am in the market for another BL ESC/motor combo that fits well in the chassis; I'll buy a new body as well.

Anyone got a list of which BL ESC's & motors will fit under the stock body, still leaving plenty of room to run wires, etc? FYI I have the original xxx-4 (non-graphite) in case that makes a difference.

Thanks for all advice.
My Novak GTB system does not interfere with the body. It's a tight fit though. Here's a pic with everything installed. I don't have a picture handy with the body on but everything fits inside without any mods to the body

Old 04-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyone else have issues with their slipper backing off?

Mine will do it every 3-4 runs and I will have to re-tighten it. It's practically locked out which is great for acceleration, but horrible for tire wear.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

My question goes along with Toddzilla's. I took my XXX-4 out for its first run last weekend and ended up melting the spur because the slipper came loose. How tight should the slipper be set? Following the instructions, it seemed pretty snug. But it seemed like the front diff would spin before I could really tighten it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Armstrong
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm still going to go with the doubled shock towers though. If the chassis breaks, I'll probably just get a new one and make some sort of brace to strengthen the area. Thanks for the pics too. Your braces are nicely done

I bought my XXX-4 off of a friend's dad. He had already doubled-up the front towers and installed the delrin arms. The only weak point is in the hubs. They don't break, they just pop out of the kingpin. I just put a couple washers in between the arm and hub to see if that helps.

I'm gonna try that diff-cover/chassis brace. I keep pulling the rear diff-cover off through the bottom screws.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For the slipper backing off, put some locktite on the slipper nut and let it sit overnight before you install it. This will keep the nut from becoming locked down but it will stop it from backing off from normal use
Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

locktite......
the Losi BL system fits nice and you can also order a short sensor wire so its not a mess.
these are a must http://www.amainraceway.com/ctlgoffroad.htm

edit: just noticed this
I'm gonna try that diff-cover/chassis brace. I keep pulling the rear diff-cover off through the bottom screws.
something is not right, only the front has that issue
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

in my xxx-4 i use 4600 enerG pack. the cells are bigger and i have to push down hard to get the clips in but i still throw the pack. one pack is still the 2 rows of 3 cells and the other is 1 row of 6 cells.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Anyone else have issues with their slipper backing off?

Mine will do it every 3-4 runs and I will have to re-tighten it. It's practically locked out which is great for acceleration, but horrible for tire wear.

Change your slipper pads... if you go just one lap with it loose, you toast'em... It will never stay tightened down after that. I noticed this started happening with the use of brushless motors.. to me, a 6.5 is like a 9T in the old days.. never ran that much power in my XXX-4 before brushless. After I figured out what was happening with the slipper, I have never had to change it since... going on a year of racing since I've had to mess with it.

Good luck!

Jerome
Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

I haven't have the slipper back out on me yet but I do check it every 2-3 runs just to be sure. I add a little loctite on the thread too.

bboard, All the Way's right, something's wrong, the rear cover has a lot of screws to give it support unlike the front one so it shouldn't break easily. You might have other issues causing that.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Another question. What's the X-factory king pin mod? I have read about it but never actually seen a picture of it.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

if you use the aluminum caster blocks you wont have to use this
http://www.xfactoryrc.com/news_09_27_06.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.