Losi xxx-4

Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok so when you glued your slipper did you remove your pads or leave them in what glue works best?
also i guess by doing the xxxs conversion it would be the same as glueing the slipper but you would loose the turning mass/weight of the slipper set up??

does anyone one use the ceramic balls in there diffs, or just the standard carbide diff balls as per the kit?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

don't glue your slipper...
Old 06-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE][/QUOTE Today, 09:23 AM
Report | Post #1997

don't glue your slipper...
team smiley ]

any reason why you wouldnt glue your slipper?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirt buggy
does anyone one use the ceramic balls in there diffs, or just the standard carbide diff balls as per the kit?
I use ceramics for the diff and thrust balls but I haven't run that way for long in the xxx4. Been using them for a long time in my T4 and my kids' xxxts though and I've always liked their feel in the long run. My diffs last a long time with them.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

I wouldn't really recommend gluing your slipper either. I think you'll find it's hard on belts and diffs. I pretty much found myself running the thing completely locked anyways, and this just prevented it from ever coming undone during a race. I left the pucks and the spring in mine.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Initiate

im just wondering also with mine im having difficulty keeping the car planted/stable at high speeds too the track.
Especially over slight/minor bumps the back seems too move around and bounce quite alot.
even on the high speed burm on our track its very loose and i find myself having too back off too get it back under contol.
Ive tried as per book/build specs, but also tried different rear springs but im not sure if i need too go lighter or heavier etc.
Some people are saying too go lighter springs with heavier oil and others are saying heavier spring lighter oil.
what effects will these create on my car
Ive also been told changing my front kick up will help stabilise my car over ruts etc at speed i currently run a 10 degree front pivot block.
sorry for all the questions but i dont get alot of track time too experiment or practice and noone here runs a xxx4 g+ at my track too bounce set ups off of.
Any help would be appreciated as i can easily match there cars for turning, acceleration and speed, tho once the car gets upto speed its very unstable and twitchy.
Cheers.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

dirt - When it comes to things like bumps, it is kind of difficult to say exactly what could make your car better. Most of the time I would try going less pack (that is bigger piston holes) with heavier oil. Sometimes the opposite is better because your car might be skipping in and out of the bump instead of *working* through the bump.
As for the high speed problem, I usually control the amount of steering my car has by how soft the rear end is. If the car is diving in too hard then go stiffer spring and possibly a stiffer rear shock angle.
Also if your car is too twitchy, try the 1* anti squat (labeled -1* on the rear block). It makes the car noticeably softer and sometimes more consistent.

Changing spring and oil at the same time I try to stay away from. Usually though, heavier spring with thinner oil makes that end (front or rear) roll faster and harder, if it is the front end the car might want to dive in to corners more, if it is the rear end it will probably feel freer and maybe wander on acceleration.
Lighter spring and thicker oil usually makes that end feel smoother, the front end will take longer to "set" into a corner but might hold it longer than the other scenario, the rear end will usually feel like it has more side bite and less forward bite but also will take longer to get out of corners.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Initiate

with running bigger pistons you mean going smaller in the number ? ie. from a 57 too say a 55???
that would provide a bigger hole for the oil too pass through?

would changing from the standard auroa body rear wing too another type with more down force would that also help? if so what wing set would you suggest.

does tyre compound such as silver or red etc alter the handling charicteristics?
i run losi blockheads front and proline hole shots rear both are red's
i also use nosram carpet traction addative.
thanks for all the info so far its great too be able too bounce all my ideas and questions off someone/people that own and raced these particular cars.
Cheers.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:27 AM

Default 2 Questions...

1. Is there a preferred body for running bigger brushless esc's, i.e. is there one that site a little higher than otheres?

2. Any problem running Lipo stick packs? Do they drop right in and stay in place?

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Reznor88
1. Is there a preferred body for running bigger brushless esc's, i.e. is there one that site a little higher than otheres?

2. Any problem running Lipo stick packs? Do they drop right in and stay in place?

Thanks!
I believe that the aurora body is preferred for running brushless, especially if using a fan. Its still a tight fit though. And as far as the lipo sticks, you will have to dremel out the chassis alittle so that the pack sits flat in the chassis, other than that its really a good fit, one other thing though, if you dremel the chassis, and you go back to cell stick packs you may find that they are even harder to keep inside. Just grap up some of those velcro battery straps and you should be good to go.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Just wanted to add to list of Q&A"s.....lol .I was woundering how many of you run the slipper locked in this buggy ? I have been at the race track and most of the guy's at my track say that way is preffered.My problem is though the slipper keeps coming loose.I know if i run it locked it will murder my diffs .Also,is the a better way to ajust the silpper clutch other than using that stupid little wrench it does nothing but slip ...haha .maybe i am setting it wrong how are most of you doing it ?. bert
Old 06-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

dirt - smaller number means bigger holes. I always run the aurora wing, but the invader wing will fit too. It actually might provide more downforce with its shape. Tires: try running the same brand front and rear. It is too complicated/tough to tell you specific tire answers having never been to your track, but usually losi and proline tires have very different characteristics and it sounds to me that may be a source contributing to your problem. Either try holeshot f/r or like blockhead front and some sort of red losi rear tire.

reznor - i think alltapdout pretty much covered it. I think some lipo packs like the orion 3200s would fit better since they have a molded case to fit in cell slots. I run the aurora body.

russo - i actually ran mine locked because i got frustrated setting it..and then it loosened up during a race one time and that is why i glued it As far as setting it, with tires on the car put the wrench in the nut and roll the car forward on your bench. you'll feel the slipper bind up as you move the car. Locking the slipper isn't as murder on the diffs as it would be in a 2wd vehicle since there is a belt to stretch/skip too. If your track is really rough or has huge jumps this is probably not the way to go. I have noticed it is harder on belts.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Tech Initiate

How did you go about locking your diff ?My track (medina,ohio)does have some nice size jump's though.but it sems like ever other race /quall/main the slipper lossens up wich makes it kinda dificultto clear some jumps when the slipper is slipping ...lol. thanks for the info dan it was a great help i am going to have research more .I tend to run my belt with about 1/4play so maybe locking slipper might begood for me .bert
Old 06-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had to lock my slipper with blue loctite. Hasn't been a problem since, even before that I had to have it as tight as I could reasonably get it, and it would still back off. It finally cost me a race and I hit it with the loctite. *USE A SMALL AMOUNT*, and the diff's handle the abuse pretty well IMO, just make sure they don't squalk.
happy 4 wheelin'
Old 06-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for that im just building up a spare set of shocks for it so I can experiment with piston size and oil weights and do quick comparisons between the two different shocks.

I will get an invader wing kit aswell and give that a go.i'll also see what losi tyres are available for the rear too ie: x2000 i think are similar too holeshots??

Looking back through this forum ive found a post with a pic of Mike Truhe's 2007 worlds car (post #1567) and noticed he ran a front wing mounted too his front diff cover, what advantage would this give if any?
ie: more high speed stability? etc. Would it affect turning ability? are these wings off the xxx-cr 2wd?

Does anybody know if there is a longer belt that will fit the xxx4G+, I run the yellow belt at the moment (259 teeth i think it is).
I have been experimenting with the xxxs spur converion and it fits ok so far tho the belt is a tad tight for my liking due too the larger drive pulley attatched too the xxxs spur.
Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.