Losi xxx-4

Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'm on my 3rd G+ now and I don't know what it is but this one is unbreakable. Some nights when my driving is off I've cartwheeled triples, launched off the track and landed out of shape on the on road circuit, even had a stack that ended up bending a front drive shaft! No other damage to the car. Didn't even notice it until the next race when it looked a bit off coming towards me down the straight. I've got enough spares to build another car but seem to always be supplying other guys at the track

I love this car
Old 04-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Clippy
I love this car
I wish I had the same luck.

I "like" this car.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hobbipro
Is the regular plastic front diff cover any better than the graphite one? I say this because I bought a used G+ and serviced the diffs, noticed the front diff cover damaged at the bottom screw holes. I bought replacements, but it was the regular plastic. With the bumper directly attached to the cover, is there anything out there to stregthen this area?
I run plastic front diff covers and havent broke one for a year. They have more give than the graphite just not a rigid. Make sure you tap the holes with a 4-40 tap before you put it on. Both the chassis holes and the bumper mount. They develop small cracks most of the time if you dont.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by macr0w
Ok, she's in pieces again. This thing cannot take a lick.

The front end assembly sucks on this thing. What kind of crappy design is this?

Maybe I need to learn how to drive better.

Anyone want to buy a nice xxx4g+? Where's my Mugen 1/8th scale?
There are a few upgrades that IMO have to be done to make the XXX-4 more durable. First upgrade the front pivot to aluminum. If you cannot find the aluminum in 7.5 get the 10. This is the single best thing you can do to help the buggy survive frontal impacts. Also, go on xfactory's site and purchase their kingpin screw set for the carriers. This will extend the life of the carriers. After these to things are done the buggy is pretty durable.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sport10
There are a few upgrades that IMO have to be done to make the XXX-4 more durable. First upgrade the front pivot to aluminum. If you cannot find the aluminum in 7.5 get the 10. This is the single best thing you can do to help the buggy survive frontal impacts. Also, go on xfactory's site and purchase their kingpin screw set for the carriers. This will extend the life of the carriers. After these to things are done the buggy is pretty durable.
If by the "front pivot" you mean the little bar that holds the hingepins, then that is done. Is it a little piece that attaches to the front with 2 screws in the middle and the hingepins go through holes on the ends?

If so, I have those on the front and rear already. The part that keeps coming apart is the hingepins keep popping out of the little cups on the back side of the front end. And the front a-arms get pushed back. My hingepins are slightly bent now and it will not stay together for the slightest impact.

It's the same problem every time. I've also broken 3 shock towers but that's no problem. I know why those break.

I've already fixed and broke it again since posting this morning.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Check the front hinge pin retainer for slop, if so try replacing the little red cups inside when you do the hinge pins. Only a couple of dollars for a pack of 8 or something. Might help them stop moving enough to pop out.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi been following the thread for sometime and noticed you had the problem with front hinge pinspopping out.
I had a similar problem with my xxx4g+ and found that my inner pivots were worn and that the little red cups were almost non existant.
i replaced my inners and new red cups and now problem solved.
Maybe new hinge pins would help, I here Lunsford do a good titanium hinge pin for these.
Hope this helps
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Ive been running my xxx4g+ now for sometime with a brushless combo and its been pretty sweet.
though for the last few meetings ive noticed/heard a squawking sound coming from my car whilst under hard acceleration from take off or out of a corner.
i was wondering if it was my slipper or it was suggested my diffs could be too loose, just wondering if anyone had some input on this....
it doesnt seem too have any ill effect on the car just the noise and still has great top end.
we race on a high grip carpeted track.
cheers.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirt buggy
Ive been running my xxx4g+ now for sometime with a brushless combo and its been pretty sweet.
though for the last few meetings ive noticed/heard a squawking sound coming from my car whilst under hard acceleration from take off or out of a corner.
i was wondering if it was my slipper or it was suggested my diffs could be too loose, just wondering if anyone had some input on this....
it doesnt seem too have any ill effect on the car just the noise and still has great top end.
we race on a high grip carpeted track.
cheers.
That sound is usualy the diff balls slipping on the rings.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dirt buggy
Hi been following the thread for sometime and noticed you had the problem with front hinge pinspopping out.
I had a similar problem with my xxx4g+ and found that my inner pivots were worn and that the little red cups were almost non existant.
i replaced my inners and new red cups and now problem solved.
Maybe new hinge pins would help, I here Lunsford do a good titanium hinge pin for these.
Hope this helps
Thanks for the tips.

Let me see if I can find some new cups.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are the set screws that hold the hinge pin in place loose, or sliping on the hinge pin?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sport10
I make a kit similar to that for about half the price $7 shipped to anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

If it is not in fact the slipper and it is the diffs, that barking noise in the diffs is usually caused by using too much diff lube. Grease the thrust bearing however you like but use a very thin coating on the D-Rings and the actual diff balls. It takes far less oil than people think to get the diffs lubricated and working smoothly. Excessive diff lube is probably one of the main contributing factors to the diff barking and simpy tighting the diffs down does not seem to help normally. Just a thought to consider if you are going into the diffs.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Well I ran it a little thursday night some. felt good but kinda pushed in the corners a little...and kept thermal shut downing with a 16p 92s with my 5.5r Novak setup. So saturday I geared down to a 13p 92s and she woke up bigtime, lotsa punch plenty of power to clear jumps, but broke a plastic front outdrive the 2nd lap of practice, and no parts...but a buddy had a 1-way that i thru in but it didn't seem to help steering like i thought it would? Then the stupid motor kept studdering when i punched it full quickly...needless to say then came the i didnt clear the triple and clipped the wall and peeled off all the front end stuff...front pivot mounts, a-arm, front diff cover...now I see how those 2 little flat pices of graphite would help that! So i get to order more parts to fix with, like metal front diff halves or maybe those ring collared plastic ones?...some aluminum front pivot blocks, a new alum dogdone. I'm not sure about this thing...my buddy had a local hot shoe drive his new Tamiya TRF501X and man was it fast and quiet and smooooth and handled awesome...made my poor losi look like a big POS which is what it felt like. Definitely a big bummer of a let down, I dont know if I'll ever waste my time and run it again? Track was cool, clay sticky as heck but kinda bumpy, slicks seemed to work better then decent pink tapers even? Maybe when and if I cool off and repair this turd I might try again??? Or there may be a xxx4g+ for sale soon??? Too bad I just bought a brand new one off rctech last week?
Later folks,
Barney

Last edited by Barney; 04-28-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, 501x is fast, smooth and quiet--has sort of a whirring noise. I have both the xxx4g+ and the 501x WCE, and while the 501 does take the hairpins a LOT better (still have stock steering bellcranks in the xxx4g+) I do think the xxx4 is easier to drive, the 501 has so much steering --both on and off power that you are always trying to dial some out, while the xxx4g+ (on a tight track) is just the opposite, even with the one-way!!

They are both great cars--but the 501x is miles and miles tougher than the semi-fragile xxx4.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.