Losi xxx-4

Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Nose too high off jumps

Hi all, Glad to see this thread becoming really active, considering all the other different 4wheelers on the market nowadays.
I would like to pick you guy's brain with a question. When jumping, The nose is way to high, What options are there to make it jump level?
Current setup = Front: 30wt oil, 57 pistons (Blk), Silver springs.
Rear: 25wt oil, 556 pistons, Yellow springs.
Also running front one-way and no Rear Sway bar.

Thanks in advance. Lets keep the thread alive with great info.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Clippy;4366069]Sorry, it's 10 deg.

Thanks for checkin.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ORANGE DOG
Hi all, Glad to see this thread becoming really active, considering all the other different 4wheelers on the market nowadays.
I would like to pick you guy's brain with a question. When jumping, The nose is way to high, What options are there to make it jump level?
Current setup = Front: 30wt oil, 57 pistons (Blk), Silver springs.
Rear: 25wt oil, 556 pistons, Yellow springs.
Also running front one-way and no Rear Sway bar.

Thanks in advance. Lets keep the thread alive with great info.
My suspension is as per kit set up with 30w all round. A lot of jump attitude has to do with how you approach and come off the face. Try and be smooth up the ramp and don't be hard on the gas when you lift off. If the nose is still high......

Touch the brake

Otherwise, front may be too stiff and/or rear too soft. Front will kick up on leaving and rear will absorb the lip and stay low.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

any of you guys running brushless.

how do i figure out gearing for say the 3.5 motors.4.5 and so forth up to a 9.5

i know with a regular brushed mod it is 9 over the motor.

any info on how i should figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

matt
Old 04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys, I just picked up a used XXX4 G+ from the lhs.

I have no prior experience with this vehicle so I'm trying to figure it out.
It seems to be in ok shape but I think something is wrong with the rear diff.

When you get in the throttle it looks like only the front end is pulling. The rear diff spins pretty freely by hand and it turns when you gas it but not at the same rate as the front. When you gas it and let off, the rear diff stops almost instantly and the front spins like crazy.

I took it apart and checked it out but I just put it back together with same results.

If anyone can point in the right direction on what to look at I would be very thankful.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Is there a oneway installed up front. If so you should be able to spin the front wheels clockwise independently without turning the drivetrain but counterclockwise will cause all the wheels to turn. If you have a oneway installed up front then what you described is normal.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sport10
Is there a oneway installed up front. If so you should be able to spin the front wheels clockwise independently without turning the drivetrain but counterclockwise will cause all the wheels to turn. If you have a oneway installed up front then what you described is normal.
Are you kidding me? That is exactly what's happening. I don't like that at all. What is the advantage of that? It may as well be a front wheel drive only.

I have an LRP Sphere and an Vortex 5.5 in this thing and it's slow as dirt. I thought it was going to be fast.

There must be something I can do to this thing.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

you might have the overdrive option in the car now? That would make the front spin faster than the rear but not so drastic you would notice I would imagine...but if you want check to see what the diff pulleys are. 42 front and rear is standard, 41 front is over drive and 41 rear is under drive.

As for the motor..keep gearing up I would imagine. What are you running gearing wise now?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by morris
any of you guys running brushless.

how do i figure out gearing for say the 3.5 motors.4.5 and so forth up to a 9.5

i know with a regular brushed mod it is 9 over the motor.

any info on how i should figure this out would be greatly appreciated.

matt
I run 7.5, 6.5, and 5.5 LRP X11 with Sphere speedies (never any need for anything else in mod) I always gear to temp. Took a bit of ground work initially as you need to start low so you don't over heat the motor. But basically you want it running at around 150F NEVER more that 160F at the end of a 5 minute race. Currently have the 94t spur installed and use either 15 or 16t pinion. This combo I use for every track within an hour drive of me (Yes, all 4 )

Originally Posted by macr0w
Are you kidding me? That is exactly what's happening. I don't like that at all. What is the advantage of that? It may as well be a front wheel drive only.

I have an LRP Sphere and an Vortex 5.5 in this thing and it's slow as dirt. I thought it was going to be fast.

There must be something I can do to this thing.
You also might find the front has got the overdrive pulley in it as a oneway shouldn't be noticeable under power. Oneway's drive under accelleration and freewheel under brakes effectively turning into a 2wd when cornering off gas to get the back end to swing more around tight sections. First things first, count the number of teeth on the each pulley (or get a hold of the instuctions, I'm pretty sure the pulleys are molded differently) that will tell you if the car is being overdriven on the front. Once you have that info you can go onto putting the correct pulley in or standard front diff.

Personally, I also hate oneways for offroad. Don't mind a centre oneway in my touring car but not even a front for ashphalt.

Phew!

Cheers,
Clint
Old 04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Addict

I put a 16t pinion on it, and it has a 94t spur. I may need to work on the slipper.

How fast should a little buggy like this go? I have never run a 10th scale buggy before.

I'm also coming from an 1/8th scale MBX-5 powered by a Neu 1512/1.5/D and a Polyquest 25c 4s pack. It's a ballistic missile. My only other r/c is a brushless E-Maxx.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. Don't get me wrong, I like the xxx4 g+, I just need to figure it out and dial it in a bit.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Maybe replace the slipper pads and near on lock it up. I find the pads seem to wear out pretty fast with B/L LiPO set up and slipper needs regular tightening. I make it a part of my pre race day maintenance.

With a 5.5 on LiPO and that gearing my losi will damn near give a Nitro a hiding on a big open track. I find that it's far too fast for all but one of the tracks I run at.........and that track runs 1/8th nitro aswell
Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

In my experiences the orion motors need to be geared up a tooth or two compared to lrp/novak motors, so maybe keep that in mind too
Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here is my XXX-4

Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 AM
Tech Addict

I took the rear diff apart again last night. It seemed like it was slipping or something. I found some bad bearings in the outshaft. I'm going to rebuild them completely when I get the parts, but for now I carefully put it back together and tightened it up as tight as I could get it.

When I took it out this time it ran differently. The rear wheels were actually doing some work. It seemed alot faster than before.

This thing just might be ok after all.

Where's the best place online to get parts for this thing?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

http://www.losipartshouse.com/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.