Losi xxx-4

Old 03-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had my XXX4 g+ sitting for the past 5 months. I "upgraded" at that time to a BJ4 We and more recently to a 501x We (awesome ride!!). I decided that I should either sell the xxx4 or drive it and see if its worth keeping. Today, I set it up and took it out to my local track--very tight, indoor. I am running a one way up front, but I still thought with the limited steering lock it wouldn't feel anything as good as the 501--that it would lack steering. I was wrong. The xxx4 was really good. Definatley keeping it. With the one way and silver springs up front turn in wasn' a problem. Could use a bit more, but overall I was surprised how good it ran.

I have a 4800 Orion and also have an SMC 5000 Lipo coming, how are you guys mounting your Lipos? Are you making permanent changes to the chassis to do it? Only reason I ask is because I have a stainless steel 1/8" plate that I would like to use with the Lipos to equalize the weight to ni-mh but I am afraid it won't fit under the stock battery hold down. What are you guys doing to weight your Lipos in teh xxx4?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I need some help. Will any of the Losi 2wd buggy or truck shocks fit the rear of a XXX4? I picked up a used one and it's missing the rear shocks. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I need some help. Will any of the Losi 2wd buggy or truck shocks fit the rear of a XXX4? I picked up a used one and it's missing the rear shocks. Thanks.
Im pretty sure all of there rear shocks are the same, go to losi.com and check out the parts listing for the vehicles.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

All the rear shocks are not the same. The xxx4 uses truck rear bodies, but with 1.0 shock shafts.
Parts numbers: LOSA5056 and LOSA5064
Old 03-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45
I had my XXX4 g+ sitting for the past 5 months. I "upgraded" at that time to a BJ4 We and more recently to a 501x We (awesome ride!!). I decided that I should either sell the xxx4 or drive it and see if its worth keeping. Today, I set it up and took it out to my local track--very tight, indoor. I am running a one way up front, but I still thought with the limited steering lock it wouldn't feel anything as good as the 501--that it would lack steering. I was wrong. The xxx4 was really good. Definatley keeping it. With the one way and silver springs up front turn in wasn' a problem. Could use a bit more, but overall I was surprised how good it ran.

I have a 4800 Orion and also have an SMC 5000 Lipo coming, how are you guys mounting your Lipos? Are you making permanent changes to the chassis to do it? Only reason I ask is because I have a stainless steel 1/8" plate that I would like to use with the Lipos to equalize the weight to ni-mh but I am afraid it won't fit under the stock battery hold down. What are you guys doing to weight your Lipos in teh xxx4?
I'm running the 4800 in my car
I use a lead weight under the battery
It thinner than the steel and can be shaped if nessary
I use the battery strap upside down and put a 4-40 screw with spacer and a nut on the other side to hold it. This acts as a stop to keep the battery from sliding forward, You can reverse the strap to mount the batterys either forward or backwards,
Add a piece of thin foam tape to the strap and this will keep the battery from coming out the side. I used associate battery tray foam
hope this helps
Old 03-23-2008, 02:24 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

nrtv20 & DanGriffin, Thanks for your help!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Carl--thanks for the info. Do you have any type of steering linkage mod. on your xxx4? The car was really good at LIR yesterday (I was very surprised!!) but it could use a trifle more steering lock with the tight hairpins.

I keep hearing people bring up moving the ballstud on the bellcranks--which ballstud and where is it moved to?

Also, these alloy CVDs are nice and light but if the car takes a hit or tumbles--the rear cvds will pull away from the pin-I think I broke 2 or 3 f and r alloy cvds since I got the XXX4-that NEVER happens with a steel MIP shaft. I understand Losi stopped producing the steel rear MIP shafts (fronts are still available). Is the rear axle shaft a "special" length? A CR or BK2 shaft won't fit?

Anyone ever try the front LCDs? I know the steel MIP shafts are still available for the fronts, but would the LCDs be a bit more durable considering the load that a one-way puts on the CVDs?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Tech Rookie

DanGriffin, thanks for your shock building advice.
Had another go and they are ok this time
Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=jasburrito;4281938]My buddy is looking for the inner front pivot #losa9670. Does anyone know were to get them???????
stormer is out

thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

d16 - moving the ball stud is probably referring to moving the ball stud on the middle of the draglink and using longer ballcups. If you put the ball stud right in the middle, it gets rid of some of the pendulum effect.
Losi actually never "made" the cvds, but repackaged mips product and should still be available from them. The rear on the xxx4 is the same as xxx/xxx cr, but the axle is different from the bk2.
LCDs are probably not the best idea for xxx4s, but mine on the xx4 have held up well if you want to try it. They add lots of steering and don't make the car feel as supported when on throttle.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Dan. Does anyone run the alloy cvds? I really like the acceleration they give but as I previously stated --if I break a turnbuckle the cvd goes with it.

Now you said that XXX CR rear CVDs should fit, correct? That would mean that the Losi U-joint axle would fit as well? Also, if I just buy the steel MIP shaft will it work with the stock spindles (the ones that come with the alloy MIPs)?

If the LCDs add steering why wouldn't they be a good idea on the XXX4? NOt as durable as a steel CVD?

If they CR rear is the same does that mean you can used the caged thrust bearing and diff spring instead of the loose thrust balls and plastic belleville washers?

Does anyone have a 7.5 degree alloy front brace they want to sell? Also, front alloy hinge pin mounts? I know Losi doesn't make either of those items anymore. On that note, until I can find the alloy parts would it make sense to run the original xxx4 plastic front brace and hinge pin mounts instead of the G+ graphite pieces? Wouldn't the plastic allow a bit more flex before braking? I really want to run this car for a time but I am trying to make it as durable as it can be. I have been running a BJ4 and a 501 and I am used to the cars basically escaping unscathed from bad hits (except front arms on the BJ)
Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (93%+)

i have a 5 degree alloy front brace and the alloy iners i could sell for 15 bucks shipped.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

I think most of the team runs alloy cvds. That's what I have on my car, but they tend to twist and break off. They are lighter though

any rear axle for the xxx series (minus the bk2) fits the xxx4.

the lcds (at least on the xx4) make the front end feel unplanted and dumpy compared to cvds, but they do add steering. Again, it might work and is a great option, they seem to be pretty strong. For some reason I've just never tried them, and as far as I know no one on the team runs them..(doesn't mean you won't like them).
Old 03-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

dan you coming to ashtabula thisa weekend?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Regular

oh ya, i'm still in!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.