Losi xxx-4

Old 10-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

i dont know if the silver made a big difference but my car is very tight in the s turns. my front end grips with bald taperpins and the rear is a little loose so if needed you can slide out in the turns.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah my car kinda handles like that but i am running pretty new holeshots. so what springs are you running up in front?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

if you meant me i have silver springs in the front and red in the rear but that works on my high bite track. try taper pins on the front if they work at your track. all of my losi cars have red in the rear and they all have good tight steering. they do have different springs in the front.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Genetic
I also run yellow springs in the rear with a sway bar, it also works real well. i run orange springs up in front but i might go to silver. Do any of you guys have any tips on making the car have more steering?
Been away from the forums for a few days catching up on work.

Anyways for your question. Since day one I've complained about the lack of steering with this car up until I found a baseline setup that works for me. It's completely different than the "team" setups like Robbers, Ringer and Schweitzer runs from what they tell me. My car always seemed to want to push mid turn. Once on power I could get it to swing around but those tighter and slower sections of the track I felt the car wasn't going through them like my XX-4 ever did. While Robbers was getting around the track with the setup just fine and very fast, I could not.

What made the differences for me and the tracks I run on was the following:[list=1][*]Removal of the rear sway bar and moved to the ouside shock locations to the rear arms. (2-outside shock position).[*]3-R rear pivot. Sometimes run spacers to run about 4deg rear antisquat.[*]2-Outside front shock position with 55 piston and 35-40wt oil[*]#1 camber link location for more mid corner and on power steering but somtimes run #2 for better steering entering the turn, 2 washers default location and adjust up or down for more fine tunning.[*]Lots of suspension pack in the rear suspension.[/list=1]
Old 10-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default LOAM ANYONE?????

So has anyone ran theirs on soft loam yet?? i am considering getting back into 4wd, i ran the xx4 for a couple of years, and loved racing it, but hated working on it. sounds like they fixed that problem. but has anyone had a chance to run theirs on loam. i see lots of things for a bluegroove track. but nothing for loam.
what do you think about running a one-way on loam? i can see major advantages on high bite blue groove, but i dont know about the rough loam, it does get bumped and rutted a bit. what do you think??
your guys' info on this thread is very helpful and i appreciate it. thank you, corey.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

crashin73,

Here's my opinion on having the oneway in your situation. Don't get it.

And now here's why.

One, a rought loamy track the diff will give you more stable and consistent handling and it will be a bit easier to drive. The oneway would probably be faster but you risk braking it.

Two, for 95% of all the tracks around the US the oneway isn't needed to win the the A-Main. What is needed is smooth consistent driving. I use the oneway at my local track and it is faster to have it, but I don't need it to win. I use it beacuse I like to race at bigger events every now and then so thus I want to practice with what I would use at a bigger race.

What I tell the locals is to keep their diff and learn the car. Once they feel like they have reached a stop point then go get a oneway.

Genetic,

SkipGear has a diff setup that looked like it turned pretty good at Dirt Country (www.DCRCR.com) maybe ask him what it is. As for things to be trying outside shock positions on the rear. Very short link in the rear 3-A. More washers under front camber link ball studd.

However the easiest way to get the most steering is to absolutely have the correct tires. And if it means making them by all means get out the scissors and the tire glue!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

I highly recommend the one-way if:

1. You have an extra $60 laying around
2. You can afford to replace $25 one-way bearings bi-weekly
3. You enjoy cracking open your front diff. Alot.
4. You don't enjoy out-braking everyone at the end of the straight.
5. You like saying stuff like "Yeah, I got the one way in my rig. Just like all the factory guys."

Seriously, I just don't see the need at my track but that's not to say that it might not be the hot ticket elsewhere.
My track is an indoor hard-packed clay track that has good consistant traction but does not blue groove. I run my front shocks inside on the tower and inside on the arm. I have TONS of steering with some well broken in Blockheads.

I have run front Holeshots, Tapers, and Slashes and there is simply no comparo on my track. Alot of guys are slapping in the one-way without even trying all the tire combos.

To be honest I haven't even tried the one-way but I just can't get past the expense and unreliability of them.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

tony
where are you from. the track you described sounds a lot like mine. are you running the new shock towers for the xxx4 and if so do you feel they make a bid difference. i do agree with the oneway diff to much for it you seem to fix it more then you drive the car.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Tech Adept

Stang-

We are sort of close, I live in Vancouver, Wa.
3000 miles isn't that much, is it?

No I haven't tried the new towers.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Tony;
Are you talking about A-Main?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Adept

Taz- Yes, I run at A main.

I will be there tonight racing my brushless for the first time.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

I hope to make it to A-Main this winter with my new xxx4.
What set-ups/tires you use there?

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default a-main...

hey tony, does luke and monte still hang out there???????? they came up to the Spring Shoot-out Can-am Challenge a couple of years ago, seen them at trcr last year, but not since.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Taz-

Tires for me are Blockheads and Holeshots. I will post the rest later.

Crashin- Luke I have not seen in a while but he is around.

Monty Houston is around whether you want him there or not.

Both are stupid fast.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

I disagree with Tony on the oneway breakage issue. I have only broken one since buying the car (first generation). I don't run mine every week but I do run it every chance I get.

The current oneway has been through 3 months of racing on all types of tracks including:

Outdoor Loamy - Ohio State Race (www.DCRCR.com)
Outdoor Grooved - ROAR Mod Nat's (www.tiltyard.com)
Indoor Wet Clay - ROAR Reg 5 (www.action-hobby.com)
Outdoor Dry Clay - Coyote Hobbies (www.coyotehobbies.com)

Once you figure what was breaking them in the first place, you won't break anymore. There are lot's of tips earlier in this thread on how to avoid breaking one-ways.

As far as a setup using the front diff. For loamy, Jared is right, I think the front Diff may be better just to allow you to settle the car down a bit. If you have a track with big jumps, running the front diff helps a lot with being able to control the attitude of the car in the air. That is the main reason I started running it at DCRCR, (my home track). We have 2-3 jumps where you are in the air for 10-20' or more.

My complaint running the front diff was the car tended to bind up mid corner. It would turn in good but mid corner the car was very unpredictable, some times it would push, sometimes it would snap loose. Plus running the front diff is hard on the belt under breaking and on our track, you did a lot of hard breaking at the end of two straights and the belt clicking just un-nerved me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.