Losi xxx-4

Old 10-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

my main loss of time is the jumps for pics of the track (its a little different now they said it is a slower track now) go to www.raceway.com. the car is a rocket from a standstill. i have the 3r i will try the 1r this sat at the track. as for springs the front rebounds very quickly the rear is kind of mushy slow to rebound. i feel this car would be great on a track with a lot of distance between doubles and whatever you call 2 sets of doubles. but with a ft or so between some of them and at the most 2 ft between the rest this car is very hard to handle over them. i had a 14 t in it and it was slower around the track and very hard to get it to jump straight. right now to get it to jump right you have to hit the throttle like 33% that is just an example but its a weird amount that is hard to get exact each time. my radio is an m8. i think i will go back to 35 wt oil in the rear it was a lot easier to control around the track. i also do not have sway bars and would like to keep it that way. any thought on that. will or could they make that much of a difference.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

also the 1r and the 3r what exactly does it do i based my setup on other cars at the track.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

More rear anti-squat gives more off-power and mid corner steering, more traction exiting, better in off power bumps, worse in on power bumps, also makes that end of car jump higher. Generaly the stiffer your car is or end you're working on the higher it jumps.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

mstng87- check to make sure your are mounting the 3r or 1r brace on the lower set of holes on the rear of the chassis. I have been building Losi cars for years, and when I set my mount in the upper holes, it was evil off of jumps, it sounds like what you stated. Once I moved to the lower set of holes, the car jumps like a dream. Check out Ryan C. set up on the losi site, or check back in these posts for any set info from Jared or Skipgear, they won't steer you wrong. If you race at LIR have Betts or Vinnie N. look at your car, they are sponsored by Losi and will help you out.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

i followed betts setup a little and james shlick also helped me with the rear a little. but his set up is not working for me. i dont know a vinnie i take it your lived or raced here. or are you also a losi driver.

i have them in the upper holes as you mentioned so i will also try that adjusment tomorrow. i have a different driving style than betts i drive fast around the track more like lance if you know him.

also what do you think of the of the 10f pivot for front.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

yea, I used to live their - literally, there are things I know about LIR, that should never be spoken of -- haha -- changing to the lower holes will work make the car jump more stable, the rear pivot settings are way out of wack if you use the upper holes.

I haven't tried the 10F block. I have only used the 7.5
Old 10-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

i made the change and your right a big difference. now i have to find out how much to hit the throttle over the 2 very techincal jumps. i even had francis drive it and he said its really good but he had some trouble with the same jumps that i am. so i am figuring its the motor. everywhere else the car is good i cant believe what a difference from an adjustment so small can make.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Yes i also still have the XX4 and am beating people with the XXX4, the car is more consistent and is more stable, the XXX4 kit that is currently out, that has the shocks in front of the rear A-arm is a tricky car, thats why team losi put out the graphite plus car, look in the pics and its set up the same way the XX4 is, with the shocks behind the rear arm, thats what the team drivers have been using, and thats what all those parts they released were to fix. My advice pick up a graphite plus and youll have the handling of the XX4 and the acceleration of the XXX4. With the single belt drive train the torgue is tooken strait from the motor to the diffs, not through three belts, and thats the noticable difference you were talking about with acceleration.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:45 PM
Tech Adept

Thats really cool, there is alot of changes in the graphite plus edition of the xxx-4 over the original. I have also seen the car performing on track and all i can say is that it is so much better than the first. if you get a xxx-4 i would get the G+ version.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

There is only one change from the XXX-4 to the G+ that acually makes any difference, the new shocktowers. Nothing else on the car has been changed. You can run the shocks on the rear of the tower and arms on a XXX-4, I did it almost from day one of owning the kit, just because it is much easier to work on the car that way. If you can pick up a normal XXX-4 cheap, just buy the towers and you are good to go. Other changes have been running changes that do not affect handling, they were just ways to increase durability and have all been included in the most recent XXX-4 kits that are out there.

There is not a revolutionary difference in the two cars, just evolution as people have learned the correct setup for the new car.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ifmar

The changes must be good,just read that Kinwald was TQ at the worlds with one.That guy is something else.

Nine xxx4 tp one yokomo??/
Old 10-14-2003, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just tried running a sway bar and yellow springs on the rear of mine, and I wanted to tell you guys how well this car rotates now. It is really a dream to drive now.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

I also run yellow springs in the rear with a sway bar, it also works real well. i run orange springs up in front but i might go to silver. Do any of you guys have any tips on making the car have more steering?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

I just tried running a sway bar and yellow springs on the rear of mine, and I wanted to tell you guys how well this car rotates now. It is really a dream to drive now.

what kind of track to you run on. i know a one way and a sway bar will help even more. but the swaybar would be in the way of my on/off switch and the one way is not cheap.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

I run at SoCal raceway dirt track.

I did run the one-way, it was much better but i dont use one now because i broke it so.

So is that the only thing that would make it have more steering?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.