R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Storing Lipo's Fully Charged

I was wondering if any of you guys know whether or not if i can store my pack fully charged. Any answers will be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks. A.J.
SpeedKills25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

It's my understanding that it's best to store them at 50% charge. A voltage of 3.8 per cell is frequently mentioned.

And that's about where the Orion and several TrakPowers I have bought were when new.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Yes you can store them fully charged. There is a lot of good reading over in the on-road electric forum about lipo charging and care.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Here's some Info.

http://rclovers.com/GetTheMostFromLipo.htm
*Chrominator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Thanks for the helpful replies guys. Im gonna go with the man that said it was ok to store it fully charged, since mine is as the moment. Im gonna be using it tomorrow so after that she will be juiced out a bit. Just got my new charger today and got to experience the Lipo advantage, and all i gotta say is WOW!!!!
SpeedKills25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I also think we need to define "store" here. I think it is safe to say storing for a few days fully charged is not an issue. I think long-term storage as in a few weeks or months with no use may require a little more attention to battery levels.

Since I am new to LiPo, I just check the voltage on it daily when not in use. what I have been noticing is that my TC 5400mah drops like .001 volt in a 48+hour period. What's wierd, is sometimes after I check the voltage after a run and then check it like an hour later (I am a bit obsessive about this since I do not want to burn down my house) the voltage went up by ~.02 then after a 48+ hr period it would drop by about .001.

Funny little things these little miracles of science. It makes me wonder how stable these things are.
TomBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What.... No one told you that there is actually a miniature nuclear reactor inside these things? That's why the need for hard cases!!! Containment!!!
Zagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Yea i would say storing is like a over a month, i just use mine and recharge them.... lol

I have use 2 battery's for 4 months and they still feel great / like new. Running 2-3 classes. I love them !!!

anyway i use orion 4800's

I am more afraid of nimh.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've never heard of storing a cell phone, or laptop with only 50% capacity if there not used, so why would a 7.4v car pack be any different? I would say this though, if it has sat a while I would definetely throw a balancer on it before its ran just to see if one cell is discharged more than another.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagar View Post
What.... No one told you that there is actually a miniature nuclear reactor inside these things? That's why the need for hard cases!!! Containment!!!
Now thats funny!
Reminds me of another thread discussing ROAR rules.
ROAR says hard case lipos only, because that 1mm thick plastic case held together with stickers will keep you from burning your local track to the ground
beast95451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I have been using lipos for the last 3+years in my airplanes and the last season in my cars. I have found that they like to be stored (month or longer) with 40%-60% charge. They also like to be charged and discharged after storage to wake them up.

This wont really matter in mod classes but in stock it helps decrease the IR and increase the punch of the battery.

They also do not like to be discharged below 80% percent of their capacity (6.44volts for a 2 cell pack) and storing them them fully charged will hurt runtime and voltage but after a few cycles most of it will come back.

As for the hard cases, They are not to protect you from a burning battery they are to protect the battery from you damaging it.

Every lipo I have had puff up has had pyhsical damage done to it and have all been soft packs.
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you know or how can you tell when your battery is at 20% or 40% or 60% etc.?
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do you know or how can you tell when your battery is at 20% or 40% or 60% etc.?
Unlike nicd and nimh batteries you can judge a lipo on its voltage. A fully charged lipo will be close to 4.2V per cell and a dead will be about 3V per cell, so that is a 1.2V differance.

20% of 1.2V is .34 volt so a cell at 3.34 volts is about 20% charged, 3.48volts would be 40% ect...

ou do need to take these mesurments after the battery has settled, not right after charge or discharge.
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post
I have been using lipos for the last 3+years in my airplanes and the last season in my cars. I have found that they like to be stored (month or longer) with 40%-60% charge. They also like to be charged and discharged after storage to wake them up.

This wont really matter in mod classes but in stock it helps decrease the IR and increase the punch of the battery.

They also do not like to be discharged below 80% percent of their capacity (6.44volts for a 2 cell pack) and storing them them fully charged will hurt runtime and voltage but after a few cycles most of it will come back.

As for the hard cases, They are not to protect you from a burning battery they are to protect the battery from you damaging it.

Every lipo I have had puff up has had pyhsical damage done to it and have all been soft packs.
Thanks stallard, I'm glad to see someone posting from experience.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
Got a little Captain in ya??

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

If you charge a 4800 orion to full 8.4 can you run it down to 7.8 for storage or do you run it downn then charge it back up to 7.8 for storage. Outdoor season is starting soon so I won't be runnin em for a few months at a time.
THANKS
Gilley11 is offline   Reply With Quote