Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
XXXT new purchase >

XXXT new purchase

XXXT new purchase

Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool XXXT new purchase

Well, as you can see I am new to the RCTech community. I am not new to RC, though, I have raced cars since 1993, not that I have ever gotten terribly good at it, just an enjoyable pass-time. I started out my RC hobby life with a XXT-CR in 93. I always raced stock back then because I didn't have a lot of money and the modified guys were dropping a lot of money in their trucks to compete. I used to race in northern illinois, there was a large community of racers there in the electric off-road scene and the number of heats it took to narrow down a field on most race weekends was staggering. I wish I could remember the name of the shop. aye. I also spent a long time flying planes, from electric foamies all the way to Wild Hare 50cc gas edge 540Ts.

Lately i live in SoCal, and while the electric off-road scene here is not nearly as lively as it used to be, but at least there is one. I currently run a Losi LST2, which I don't race, but I do plenty of upgrading, for strength. I like to bash it and the stronger the better.

I am looking into getting back into electrics. I am intrigued by all the changes in the electrics. Brushless motors and LiPo packs, and I want to get a Losi XXXT and stick a new Losi BL system in it, and run LiPos. I have figured out most of what I need to know about what I want to do. I have used LiPos, I have run electric trucks. There are just 2 things that I have yet to piece together, and I was hoping you guys could set me on the straight and narrow.

1. I can't tell the difference between the XXXT MF2 and the XXXT CR trucks other than the MF2 mentions the GEN II Transmission. Which of these trucks is the better purchase, my LHS has both, just don't know which I should get.

2. I noticed right away that Losi lists very few spur gears for the XXXT, 3 kevlar spur sizes. The Brushless setup requires a big gear reduction, the manual on the motor recommends 13.4, and I want to be able to really tweak the gearing until I got it right where I want it, and spur gears is where you get the small gearing changes. Back in my XXT days Losi had a ton of Spurs available, if I recall. Then I read that with a minor slipper conversion, I can run the spurs that are listed for the XXX buggy. What conversion do I need to do, and are there any aftermarket spurs and pinions I should look at?

Thanks for reading my crazy long post, if you read it this far.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welcome back, I never raced, but I too was in the hobby years ago.
The CR is a newer truck, does that always mena better? Not really

I have the CR, and many around me still run the MF2 and have no reason to switch.
The CR chassis is longer than the MF2, and it is built with AE3 composites(supposed to be more flexible than graphite). Many feel this is supposed to help on bigger outdoor, blown out tracks. In the same theory, the MF2 would do better in smoother more groomed, indoor tracks. This is just theory, I do not think I am a good enough racer to tell the difference between materials.

I have noticed there are only three spur gears available. I would guess more would be released, since many are going brushless. Right now I have the smallest spur gear, and run a 22-30 pinion, on a 17.5ss novak, the truck moves fairly well for a stock motor. Honestly, I have yet to try anything above the 22 on the track though.

While you are not new to BL and lipo, you will love them, they make everything so much easier; charge and run.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The xxx-t cr is probly a little more durable. Losi cars parts quality is dropping some so here are a few things you will need.

superduty tie rods
superduty ball studs
titanium shock mounting rods

For some reason they have been releasing cars w/ a low quality metal that doesn't hold up. With the extra parts it is a very durable truck. If you don't want to spend that much on a truck then pick up a team edition T-4. most people are just running the graphite parts anyways because the plastic stuff is more durable.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Actually I believe the MF2 to be more durable than the CR. The EA3 material just does not hold up as well as the graphite used on the MF2. I have owned and raced a MF2 for about 2 years now and have only broken 2 rear T plates and 2 transmission cases in the time I owned it. Now on the subject of the T4. The front arms on the T4 seem to be the weak point on this truck with both the graphite and plastic versions breaking quite often. The graphite being the worst though.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have 3 xxx trucks 2 rtr's and the cr truck, like party_wagon said upgade the turn buckles and it's a great truck, as i break parts if i do i will most likely swap to graphite with the exception of the chassis.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

The xxx buggy and xxx-t truck spurs are interchangable, at least they are on my CR versions of each and original xxx-t, black Gen I trannies. Not sure about the gray Gen II tranny.

I've never had a Kevlar spur myself, but I know a lot of the guys at my track don't like them, just run the regulars.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i think the ea3 just sucks i go with graphite everything on my xxxt the ea3 just dont hold up the the graphite
Old 04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default spur gear

All the spur gears will interchange from the xxx to the cr they are the same slipper setup just different internals in transmition. As far as the difference in the two trucks the thing I like about the CR truck is that you can interchange front and rear wheels. I actually still run the MF2 I just upgraded to the longer CR chassic makes the truck drive better I think. If your gonna buy it new I would buy a CR just personal opinion.
Hope this helps.
later Jeremy
Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies. I think I have all the information I need, now just get it bought, built and start practicing.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Guess I will have to try an CR chassis on my MF2 then. A little more stability would be nice on the MF2.