R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #121
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You guys think that a 3200 LIPO will run the 5700 sidewinder for a 7 min 4wd buggy main?

Also i have to say that my sidewinder is leaps and bounds better then my novak, super smooth, absolutly retarded fast, in my tamiya DF03 buggy it smokes my buddys 6.5 down the back straight in his B44 and i was only using old gp3300's, Im going All MAMBA.
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #122
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaDC View Post
You guys think that a 3200 LIPO will run the 5700 sidewinder for a 7 min 4wd buggy main?

Also i have to say that my sidewinder is leaps and bounds better then my novak, super smooth, absolutly retarded fast, in my tamiya DF03 buggy it smokes my buddys 6.5 down the back straight in his B44 and i was only using old gp3300's, Im going All MAMBA.
I would check it after 5 minutes just to see where the pack is at to be safe. Once you see what the voltage is after 5 minutes you can judge by the time you have left if your going to be ok. I would think you will be but it is always better to check just to make sure.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #123
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
Here are some picture's of my mamba setup. I ran a GTB and 6.5r for two years and this thing is by far better made and smoother. This look is even cleaner!
David, that body looks sick! I can't wait to see how my truck looks in front of it!!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 304 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott54 View Post
David, that body looks sick! I can't wait to see how my truck looks in front of it!!
The only time you will be in front of me is when you are going a lap down..LOL
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #125
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I own 2 Sidewinders, a Mamba Max and have a Monster Max on the way. You cannot beat Castle for price and performance! Plus, the 5700 is just plain ballistic...... wheeliepolozza in my T4
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #126
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

rcdougie, your a sick person! I backed away from the 5700 in the T4 and went with a 4600 instead. My B44 gets the 5700 now. I cant wait for the Monster max!
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #127
Team Tekin

Quote:
Well apparently ROAR doesn't care whether the motor is sensored or not.

Straight from the 2008 ROAR Rule book.

8.8 BRUSHLESS MOTOR RULES
8.8.1 Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed in modified motor classes. Only sensored type motors are allowed for stock and super stock racing.

Just some more food for thought....
However mod motors must be slotted. NO ONE makes a slotted sensorless motor... So this statement is rather silly. For stock and super stock it is hard to make equal motors unless they are the same design so one had to be chosen. CC does not currently make a motor slow enough for stock or super stock.

It is no secret that I am not a fan of the legal slotted designs, but we are making them because that is the rules. Our prefered motor designs are slotless and sensorless and work perfectly with the CC controllers. We have a 4800kv and a 5800kv. We also make some milder versions at 3200kv and 3700kv for 2wd offroad with feel.

Tekin controllers also work excellent with the CC motors for those who want another choice. CC is great bang for the buck, no doubt. Tekin is more expensive because they are more expensive to build and have more fets, period. They are smaller, designed not to need a heat sink and have all the user features right on the controller. Choices are a good thing! Mix and match and have fun.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 04-21-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #128
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
However mod motors must be slotted. NO ONE makes a slotted sensorless motor... So this statement is rather silly. For stock and super stock it is hard to make equal motors unless they are the same design so one had to be chosen. CC does not currently make a motor slow enough for stock or super stock.

It is no secret that I am not a fan of the legal slotted designs, but we are making them because that is the rules. Our prefered motor designs are slotless and sensorless and work perfectly with the CC controllers. We have a 4800kv and a 5800kv. We also make some milder versions at 3200kv and 3700kv for 2wd offroad with feel.

Tekin controllers also work excellent with the CC motors for those who want another choice. CC is great bang for the buck, no doubt. Tekin is more expensive because they are more expensive to build, period. They are smaller, designed not to need a heat sink and have all the user features right on the controller. Choices are a good thing! Mix and match and have fun.

Tekin Prez
Thanks for posting here with us!

When is the Tekin sensored version going to be out and is there going to be a Team Tekin Electric 1/8th scale Buggy out for sale???
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #129
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post

Tekin controllers also work excellent with the CC motors for those who want another choice. CC is great bang for the buck, no doubt. Tekin is more expensive because they are more expensive to build, period. They are smaller, designed not to need a heat sink and have all the user features right on the controller. Choices are a good thing! Mix and match and have fun.

Tekin Prez

Time to copy paste what I wrote on tekin forum I guess

Hello,

I did a small movie to show how Tekin motor work with a Mamba max, the car is messy because I did run on the my local race track before.
I will try do a movie there too.

Youtube kill quality, I have a decent webhosting, movie is about 10 MB in Xvid.
http://capelle.freebox.free.fr/MM_Tekin/MM_Tekin448.avi

I think better acceleration is achievable easily with Lipo and more agressive ESC setup, but it's already more than enought to race with the big dogs (1/8).
As you can see there is hardly any cogging,
and you can ear the start-up routine of MM taking over when motor slow down too much when hitting the curb.

Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:03 AM   #130
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craps View Post
When is the Tekin sensored version going to be out ???
Don’t get it twisted. Tekin is a cut above their sensored competition and have thought about the long term state of brushless. They have chosen to invest in the more advanced sensorless designs.

The RS and RS Pro are SENSORLESS based ESCs with sensored functionality.

From a technical standpoint it should be made clear that:

Sensored-based ESCs like the gtb are not capable of being outfitted with sensorless features. Sensorless on the other hand can run on ‘hybrid’ mode - hence one of its beauties.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #131
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Well apparently ROAR doesn't care whether the motor is sensored or not.

Straight from the 2008 ROAR Rule book.

8.8 BRUSHLESS MOTOR RULES
8.8.1 Sensored or sensorless motors are allowed in modified motor classes. Only sensored type motors are allowed for stock and super stock racing.

Just some more food for thought....
Kind of weird. I guess I will just run my sensored motor on a sensorless controller. Don't see anything in the rules that can prevent that.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Mister-T,

What did you wrap your shocks in?
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #133
Tech Regular

I don't run indoor, but on 1/8 scale track which is very dusty when dry and very muddy when wet ...

I use those long stick balloon that are used to make sculpture like dog,
They are super cheap, survive few hours of offroad stuff and give a pretty good sealing (I redo nearly twice less my shock than before !)
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #134
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

We had 14 plus guys for opening day running the Mamba and Sidewinder systems and no problems at all. All ran flawlessly with all important no thermaling. Once guy had his laptop for all to use all day long. Everyone in mod 2wd ran the 4600 or 5700 and the 4wd ran the 5700 or a few sick guys ran the 6900.

Track was brutal today and like driving on ice. I was able to adjust my speedo to conditions of the track. It did help out alot.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #135
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My goodness it's about time to STOP the Castle bashing.

BTW, it's not personal... Craps and I go way back so we are like forum buddies, but we disagree sometimes

Food for thought: The new Speedpassion system is welcomed and praised by the hardcore racer crowd as a LRP-Novak-ish serious ROAR legal sensored system. BUT.. do you guys realize that it's actually running in sensorless mode almost all the time... and it can run in 100% sensorless dmode very well. Only time sensors are used is in low rpms (start up). Once the motor is spinning the sensors are just dumb dead weight.

Maybe Castle should just include a dummy sensor wire to fool the nay-sayers and then the bashing will stop and it can be judged without bias.

Don't be shocked when Castle makes the move to include sensor technology to satisfy the need to run in spec class. I don't think they will ever make the spec motors to the same OLD design of the Novak, but at least it could be used in ROAR stock classes with the "other" kind of motor.

btw, I don't think Tekin will have any sensor technology in their 1/8 systems. Why? BECAUSE THERE ARE NOT RULES, SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO. Therefore they are free to make their own design choices, which means it won't be a Novak clone, that's for sure. I can't wait to see what Tekin comes out with for 1/8 motors. We know they can do a great controller.. seeing how the little R1Pro is doing so well in 1/8 buggies.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote