R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs_13203 View Post
run a mm5700 with 4200 packs in my zx-5sp and have never had a problem with nice and smooth at the track, though with it in my t4 on the track maybe a touch to much but added to the fun
I can definitely relate to the 5700 being just a touch too much... it's there but it can be a little too much on some tracks. I just switch back to the 4600 and it's plenty if I run into that. The 5700 seems to be closer to a 5.5.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #47
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHR View Post
Novak simply stepped up to the plate and worked with ROAR and created a set of rules and set the standard. Novak has a long heritage with racing and ROAR racing and utilized their experience well.
Funny thing Castle was at the same meetings but ROAR only cared what Novak said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I been in contact with the techs that where at the meetings and what really happens.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #48
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott54 View Post
I can definitely relate to the 5700 being just a touch too much... it's there but it can be a little too much on some tracks. I just switch back to the 4600 and it's plenty if I run into that. The 5700 seems to be closer to a 5.5.
thinkin about switched to a 4600 track where i race is indoors on clay very fast but also very tight.
rjs_13203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #49
Tech Initiate

I was just looking for some ideas.On the mamba max esc, What do you guy's use to keep the dirt and dust out of the caslte link port ? do the "powers that be" make a a spesific cap/plug to put in there until you are ready to plug in?. Rite know i use a piece or tape but sometimes it does like to come off while running so i have to keep an eye on it .Also,i have a 5700 mamba too and yes that motor/esc is insane but that's what throttle curve's are for I.M.O. The only thing i do hate about the mamba is i wish they would put the castle link on top of the E.S.C. some where that way you dont have to take the E.S.C out of the car when you want to plug in .Well,at least with my Losi xxx-4 i do because every thing is so tight . bert
russo11218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 AM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

It is the same type of port you can find on a digital camra. So I am sure you could find one at a camera shop of just use a piece of scotch tape. Just remeber when using scotch tape to remove it prior to trying to plug it in!

See you at the track.
janderson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I like the mamba 7700 because you can turn it down so it puts out like a 19 turn or you can turn it up so it puts down like a 5 turn. Being able to run a system that I picked up for $160 new for mod tc & mod buggy is pretty awsome. I have never ever had any cogging issues because I didn't use crappy batteries. The initial programming drew too much current & would cause the voltage to dip too low. My a123 pack has been bench tested @ a nominal voltage of 6 volts while on a 100amp discharge so it is more then capable of handling the system. I guess that a $160 motor//esc combo & a $50 battery combo just isn't good enough for racing because its cheap. Maybe I should just use a $250 system because the people on a forum told me that a gtb 8.5 has less bottom end then a mamba 7700 so it is much smoother. I should probly also get the $150 lipos that cause mambas to glitch because they dip too low in voltage under huge current loads while I'm at it too right? Not to mention the fact that I want a pack that takes 45 minutes to charge instead of 15 minutes.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The 7700 not turned down is more like a 3 turn & turned all the way down is more like a 6 or 7 turn....No way to tune it down to the equivilant of a 19T, unless your throttle EPA is about 40 on your radio.

Lipos cause Mambas to glitch? Thats a new one. I run Lipos in all vehicles & never once had a glitch. I don't have any experience with a123, but I've got 1 lipo battery for each car & can run a whole race day without recharging if I wanted. 2-5min qual's & a 10 min main.
beast95451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #53
wyd
Tech Legend

The Castle Link really lets you tune the motor and control the power alot but I'm not even sure you can tune the 5700 down to a 19t. What I will say is the Castle Link setup gives me alot of variations in tuning the motor to my track condidtion thats for sure.

You could turn down the punch control to like 50% as that will limit the power alot but I would rather just use the 4600 motor so I wouldn't have to make as radical of a change to tame it down. Each person is different on this so whatever works for you is cool.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #54
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
I like the mamba 7700 because you can turn it down so it puts out like a 19 turn or you can turn it up so it puts down like a 5 turn. Being able to run a system that I picked up for $160 new for mod tc & mod buggy is pretty awsome. I have never ever had any cogging issues because I didn't use crappy batteries. The initial programming drew too much current & would cause the voltage to dip too low. My a123 pack has been bench tested @ a nominal voltage of 6 volts while on a 100amp discharge so it is more then capable of handling the system. I guess that a $160 motor//esc combo & a $50 battery combo just isn't good enough for racing because its cheap. Maybe I should just use a $250 system because the people on a forum told me that a gtb 8.5 has less bottom end then a mamba 7700 so it is much smoother. I should probly also get the $150 lipos that cause mambas to glitch because they dip too low in voltage under huge current loads while I'm at it too right? Not to mention the fact that I want a pack that takes 45 minutes to charge instead of 15 minutes.
Yea it's pretty awesome if it were legal where most race, also what's up with a123 and all the voltage and bench testing talk ? I buy the battery charge it, out it in my car and go for the win. You should stop messing around with batteries and go run your cars.

Whats is a a123 and is it legal for racing ?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #55
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
You could turn down the punch control to like 50% as that will limit the power alot but I would rather just use the 4600 motor so I wouldn't have to make as radical of a change to tame it down. Each person is different on this so whatever works for you is cool.
Punch control only limits initial accelleration. It does nothing to top end. And yes I agree, even a 5700 & possibly not even a 4600 can be toned down to the equivalent of a 19T.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #56
Tech Elite

You guys sit here & talk about how you can't program the mamba to lay it down like a 19 turn & yet you also talk about how you haven't really tried to program it. Make up your mind. low timing & 30% throtle do wonders to a person who doesn't have throtle control. A 19 turn will still spin its tires if you give it 0 to 100%. The original mamba programming drew tons of current when you rolled it backwards. If your bats couldn't keep up then it would glitch. Now, who said that the original mamba glitched? My batts kept up.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:57 AM   #57
Tech Elite

You guys sit here & talk about how you can't program the mamba to lay it down like a 19 turn & yet you also talk about how you haven't really tried to program it. Make up your mind. low timing & 30% throtle do wonders to a person who doesn't have throtle control. A 19 turn will still spin its tires if you give it 0 to 100%. The original mamba programming drew tons of current when you rolled it backwards. If your bats couldn't keep up then it would glitch. Now, who said that the original mamba glitched? My batts kept up. Did yours?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:58 AM   #58
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast95451 View Post
Punch control only limits initial accelleration. It does nothing to top end. And yes I agree, even a 5700 & possibly not even a 4600 can be toned down to the equivalent of a 19T.
Yeah thats right on the punch control. I don't mess with it as it is always at 100% because I think I need it.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:
You guys sit here & talk about how you can't program the mamba to lay it down like a 19 turn & yet you also talk about how you haven't really tried to program it. Make up your mind. low timing & 30% throtle do wonders to a person who doesn't have throtle control. A 19 turn will still spin its tires if you give it 0 to 100%. The original mamba programming drew tons of current when you rolled it backwards. If your bats couldn't keep up then it would glitch. Now, who said that the original mamba glitched? My batts kept up.
I've been running Mambas for close to 3 years. Have tuned the ESC every possible way. I have had every motor they make for 1/10 & there is absolutely no possible way to tune a 7700 down to anything close to a 19T...sorry bud, just facts. Yes if you use crappy batteries it will cog, but Lipos are not crappy batteries, never once had a glitch. You did say it would glitch with a lipo didn't you?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #60
Tech Regular

Quote:
. I should probly also get the $150 lipos that cause mambas to glitch because they dip too low in voltage under huge current loads while I'm at it too right?