R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Stock & 19 turn classes are no longer beginner classes. Perhaps it would be best if they just opened things up & started running li//bl w/ long mains & open motor selection. If stock & 19 turn were beginner classes then tuned racers would not be able to tell the diference in stockers. If they can tell a difference then it is time for a new class.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #17
Tech Initiate

Got rid of the Mamba junk because I got tired of getting beat by Novaks!

Now my lap times are faster and alot smoother for racing with my Novak GTB and Novak 7.5L motor!! I now beat the guys who used to beat me when I had the Mamba system.....I'll never go back to the Mamba junk again!

PS. Mamba might be OK for bashing around, but for racing it's Novak all the way!
ProTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Protruck,

Can you please state for the record if you were using a mamba system with the latest software.

I am over reading about how you were smoked by novaks using mamba but have never stated if it was a system with the latest software, which by all accounts is much much smoother.

If you had the latest software, and someone else may want to state when this software became available, then so be it.

all we need now is craps to come in and say that he runs 30 minute heats and has no issue with novak for the 400th time
pmc213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It is a very good system. I have run novak and Castle and they are both good.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #20
Tech Regular

just get LRP its simply the best and its BLUE hahhahaha
B44
T4
GT2
T-REXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

For mod racing, I don't think you can do better. I used to run LRP and Novak, but those don't have anywhere near the tuning options as the Mamba Max. My lap times improved noticeably when I installed my MM system with 5700kv motor. The people that don't like the system are probably just not comfortable with using a PC to tune.
happywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default mamba 6900

I use the mamba 6900 system last year to win the open modified national race in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Again I use the mamba max esc to drive my Trinity co27 pro stock motor in our club race with good result. Win the last main against the tamiya 23T rz motor.

Now, I'm going back to Philippines to run open modified with Mamba Max 6900 with the updated firmware.. let's see how will the mamba esc compare against the Novak, LRP, Speed passion esc out there..

all I can say, I'm very satisfied with mamba esc.

Last edited by grizzle; 04-15-2008 at 05:31 AM.
grizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
For mod classes... ROAR needs to get with the times and relax the rules to allow the Castle and other similar motors that don't happen to fit all the specs that were incorporated into the rules, based on the "novak" standard.

For stock/spec classes... we are probably stuck with what we have, and that's understandable.
Novak simply stepped up to the plate and worked with ROAR and created a set of rules and set the standard. Novak has a long heritage with racing and ROAR racing and utilized their experience well.
RCHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No... Novak was the first to come out with a 1/10 racing system several years ago. Once the rules are set according to that original system, it appears ROAR is locked into that. Other companies (LRP Orion etc) built their systems to clone the Novak, and thus "fit" the rules.

I'm saying that Castle designed and built their own motor of the same dimensions and same intended use, but that does NOT fit the existing rules. Tekin has motors of the same "Castle" design btw. It's my opinion that these non-conforming motors SHOULD be made legal for mod, and the ROAR rules updated.

I'm not complaining about Novak being the first one, and thus getting the rules written based on their motor. The "complaint" is with ROAR not allowing more flexibility... mod is an "open" class. There is no reason to outlaw a motor because of the method used to wind the coils or attatch wires, etc.

Spec class is a different thing....
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default open modified

For me open modified means open to whatever motor and esc you can run... that's why we have stock racing to limit the speed... and open modified to run those fastest motor you can get your hands on (including the mamba motors) ...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #26
Tech Elite

ROAR rules specifies "Stock, Super Stock, and Modified" classes, and makes no mention of an "Open Modified" class.
RCHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:29 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 150 (99%+)

As a racer, I prefer the guaranteed starting power of sensored. However, the mamba is pretty dang close w/the new software! I got rid of my mamba system simply because you couldn't perform regular maintenance on the motor.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Someone stated above that the mamba has too much power for racing. The slowest motor they make is the 4600 which is a little faster than a good 7.5. However, being that's it's smoother than the other speed controllers, it's easier to control and doesn't seem as jumpy or choppy. So yes, if you are realistic with your abilities and think a 10.5 is more than you can handle, you might want to get the Mamba Max and run an orion 10.5. But I found the 4600 and 5700 are both very good motors for mod truck, the 5700 and 6900 are great for 4wheel although you will need a big track to use all that power and speed!

Don't listen to the guys who claim mambas are inferior to novak because they're not sensored. These guys are probably still running ni-cads too!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHR View Post
ROAR rules specifies "Stock, Super Stock, and Modified" classes, and makes no mention of an "Open Modified" class.
Does that change something?

It doesn't matter what they name the class. Arguing about that is getting kinda petty at this point.

Mod is still an "open" class as opposed to the "spec" stock classes, where the point is to have cars of equal power/speed. So stock class needs strict motor and battery rules... mod doesn't.

Obviously there must be basic rules, so we don't have people running some huge stupid motor, etc.

The illegal Castle motors are a proper size and fit so let them run, imo. I don't know why anyone would object, especially since anti-Castle guys tend to think it's a bunch of junk anyway. So there's nothing to be afraid of by making them legal.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krio View Post
As a racer, I prefer the guaranteed starting power of sensored. However, the mamba is pretty dang close w/the new software! I got rid of my mamba system simply because you couldn't perform regular maintenance on the motor.
I agree... good points.

Their design could be rebuildable, but the darn glue they use is hard to break loose.