R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Default 2009 Electric Offroad Worlds.

Guys and Gals the 2009 Offroad Electric Worlds will be held in Sunny Pretoria, South Africa.
Venue will be at TRAP www.trap.co.za

More details to posted as it comes available.
Anyone needing info can pm with there questions etc...
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Event is around the corner
Pre-Worlds dates is 1st - 5th April 2009
Worlds event dates is 24th September - 4th October 2009

More info http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/southafrica/Stage1EP.pdf
More details to follow when site is updated
http://www.offroadepworlds09.co.za/
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
Event is around the corner
Pre-Worlds dates is 1st - 5th April 2009
Worlds event dates is 24th September - 4th October 2009

More info http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/southafrica/Stage1EP.pdf
More details to follow when site is updated
http://www.offroadepworlds09.co.za/
What is pre worlds? Just a practice race maybe??
AE BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Facility looks nice, I would love to go. I'm looking forward to the liverc coverage of this event.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Tech Elite

At the moment the US based drivers are under the impression we are a dangerous country and there is talk of no US drivers attending for safety reasons.
Not sure what exact reason they have as we dont know what news they are seeing or hearing.
We have no political unrest, terrorism and although crime is a local issue its not any worse that most large US cities or any major cities around the world.

The guys are putting a lot of effort in to making teh event a success.
The venue will also be hosting the 1/5 scale onroad worlds.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It would be nice to see a few US drivers comments on the the up coming 2009 EP offroad worlds?
What are your feelings?
Teddygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddygoat View Post
It would be nice to see a few US drivers comments on the the up coming 2009 EP offroad worlds?
What are your feelings?
If you're buyin' , Im flyin'. My passport is up to date.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
At the moment the US based drivers are under the impression we are a dangerous country and there is talk of no US drivers attending for safety reasons.
Not sure what exact reason they have as we dont know what news they are seeing or hearing.
We have no political unrest, terrorism and although crime is a local issue its not any worse that most large US cities or any major cities around the world.

The guys are putting a lot of effort in to making teh event a success.
The venue will also be hosting the 1/5 scale onroad worlds.

That is ridiculous!! There is nothing un-safe about south africa if you are street smart and don't do stupid things. having been there 2 times and having spent time in other African countries I am offended to think that US drivers won't attend! I am embarrassed on behalf of the US rc community to openly voice that false opinion as well!! If people are at there hotels or the tracks and stay in busy areas in groups of friends etc... there will be no problem. IFMAR would not have a race in a dangerous place that would put racers in danger. South Africa is a very successful country that is almost not african in the sense that the western world thinks of Africa. It is a great country that europeans colonized(just like america). This is shocking and disappointing to hear and i hope that the US drivers and drivers of other nationalities who were not going to attend because they felt attending would be a threat to their personal safety reconsider and choose to attend this fantastics event. I

regards,

Christopher R.W.D. Stroh
cstroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstroh View Post
That is ridiculous!! There is nothing un-safe about south africa if you are street smart and don't do stupid things. having been there 2 times and having spent time in other African countries I am offended to think that US drivers won't attend! I am embarrassed on behalf of the US rc community to openly voice that false opinion as well!! If people are at there hotels or the tracks and stay in busy areas in groups of friends etc... there will be no problem. IFMAR would not have a race in a dangerous place that would put racers in danger. South Africa is a very successful country that is almost not african in the sense that the western world thinks of Africa. It is a great country that europeans colonized(just like america). This is shocking and disappointing to hear and i hope that the US drivers and drivers of other nationalities who were not going to attend because they felt attending would be a threat to their personal safety reconsider and choose to attend this fantastics event. I

regards,

Christopher R.W.D. Stroh
Hi Chris,

Thanks for respons, it really great to have a positive oppinion on this
I obvoiusly live in South Africa and I'm a Farmer (used to be rated one of the most dangerous jobs in the world??!!) and over the years I have have never been seriously affected by voilent crime! As you said, if you use common sense you wont have a problem, but then this goes for any country in the world! If you walk down a dark ally on the wrong side of town(anywhere in the world) with your gold Rolex hanging off your wrist, then you're looking for trouble!
I really hope that US drivers and European drivers don't get scared off by being uninformed about South Africa! Its is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, the people are super friendly and the amount of tourist attractions are almost unlimited! All this and you get a great exchange rate which makes staying, touring and having fun very cheap!!

Nothing helps grow our sport like a big international event like this! Please support us and Help RC racing get more public recognition!!

As Razzor said, if anyone wants more info on South Africa(eg living costs, hotel costs, transport) and the 2009 worlds then please PM or email us, [email protected] and ask questions. We want you here and we want you informed

Last edited by Teddygoat; 07-20-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Tech Elite

In 2002 Masami Hirosaka's car was followed from the airport. A band of thugs forced him off the road, mugged him, and stole all his traveling money, I hear about $10,000.

"There is nothing un-safe about south africa if you are street smart and don't do stupid things." I suspect Masami disagrees... I didn't have to be "street smart" in Italy ('05) or Japan ('07) and have no desire to go someplace where "street smart" is required so I can race toy cars for bowling trophies and survive.

If I were to send our Team, even if I don't go myself to save costs, and one of them were to be hurt in any way, I would just go shoot myself.

It's a simple calculation: 1/10 off-road EP sales are way down in the U.S. Nobody cares if you finish second. Therefore, you must spend a large sum of money and put your Team in danger; if you don't win it was all for nothing, and if you do win, the sales increase, if any, won't cover the cost.

IFMAR has totally blown it.
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

Will live rc be there? Hope some gringos go!

☆TLR 22B 3.0 MM ☆ 22T 2.0 MM ☆22B 2.0 MM ☆22-4 ☆ SCTE 2.0☆ ☆
XXXDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Chazz,

I'm sure that was a very nasty situation for Masami, but something that could happen in many countries, as airports world wide are a common place for criminals to seek targets.

When I say street smart, I mean common sense, not some sixth sense about staying out of trouble!
Its sounds like racing is all about sales to you guys and not about growing the sport? I know racing trends go up and down all the time and sales are a big part of the sport, in which sponsorship plays a big part, but come on growing the sport and promoting it to new areas also results in sales.

I have travelled all over the world and around a lot of Africa, some of the places I have been are considered very dangerous, but by just being sensible I have never endangered myself or my family!
I understand that you dont want to put anyone in danger, but honestly you are facing the same risks coming to South Africa as going anywhere else in the world, in fact many 1st world countries are facing far greater dangers these days, than the "dangers" in South Africa.

IFMAR have not blowen it! They have world racing (realising the US is not the centre of the world) and promotion of the sport in mind and as said before South Africa's cities are totally safe!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to copter Send a message via Yahoo to copter

BTW 2011 EP Offroad Worlds will be held in Finland. Same place where 2007 Euros were held and our event was praised as one of the best EC events ever. With 2011 Worlds we are going to raise the bar again.

Here's some information about our country: Finland 2009 Crime & Safety Report
copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You have to understand , some of the folks in the US get their
information from the internet or word of mouth. I travel a lot
for the company I work for. It doesn't matter what country you
go to , you need to research it have contacts and basic common
sense. Drinking by your self , wandering off is aways trouble.
Dress down blend in be part of the culture. I think the problem is
most folks here assume africa is populated with nothing but black folks
and no others . Now why someone would carry 10000 cash for traveling is beyond me, any country you go to you have to declare 10000
if entering, that right there probably got him a nice target. It just seems
to me it would suck since the USA drivers seem to dominate over here
every where. It would be nice to see how they would do in worlds
competition. I can also understand from a Manf point when it comes
to cost and sales.

Dynodan22
dynodan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
In 2002 Masami Hirosaka's car was followed from the airport. A band of thugs forced him off the road, mugged him, and stole all his traveling money, I hear about $10,000.

"There is nothing un-safe about south africa if you are street smart and don't do stupid things." I suspect Masami disagrees... I didn't have to be "street smart" in Italy ('05) or Japan ('07) and have no desire to go someplace where "street smart" is required so I can race toy cars for bowling trophies and survive.

If I were to send our Team, even if I don't go myself to save costs, and one of them were to be hurt in any way, I would just go shoot myself.

It's a simple calculation: 1/10 off-road EP sales are way down in the U.S. Nobody cares if you finish second. Therefore, you must spend a large sum of money and put your Team in danger; if you don't win it was all for nothing, and if you do win, the sales increase, if any, won't cover the cost.

IFMAR has totally blown it.
The LRP guys were robbed at gunpoint in their hotel room in California. Danger lurks everywhere.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote