Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
side by side battery pack >

side by side battery pack

side by side battery pack

Old 04-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default side by side battery pack

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move.

I got my lhs to custom build a 6 cell sxs ener-g pack for me for racing, it's matched by promatch, for about 80 bucks. I tried to put it in my vxl and it won't fit so he feels sorry for me cuz I'm a kid. What he did: on the last cell, he soldered on a metal bar with a 12 guage wire soldered onto that (like ordidary) and on the other end, he directly soldered the wire onto the first cell.

pic:

Will this cause uneven draw from the battery?

1)The first charge @ 4 amps (he said go ahead and do 4 amps, no need to break it in w/ the c/10 process): The end with the bar got flipping hot!!!
2)I drove it and woohoo more powerfull than my 7 cell venom...(duh) The cell under the esc got flipping hot!!!
3)Let it cool w/out a fan and charged again, both sides got pretty warm, one side hot, but holdable.

You think this will even out after a few cycles? It's starting to sorta even out just a little...idk if it will fully.

p.s. when charging, the temp goes in order, in the 6 cells, the order is: hottest, hotttt, hot, just below hot, pretty warm, and warm, and also, when I drive, the cell with the wire directly soldered on it is hottest (cuz no vent?), when charging, the one with the bar is the hottest.

Thanks!

Last edited by v3l1n30n; 04-12-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: forgot to add something, sorry
Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Its probably just an imbalance in the cells. To keep a high quality pack like this in good condition its best to equalize the cells on a discharge tray before charging.

All Nimh cells self discharge on their own over time, some faster than others. So even if all the cells are perfectly matched, the self discharging that happens can put them out of balance.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Tech Rookie

How much would an equalizer run me? And do I have to equalize my battery every run?