R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Bleeding AE Shocks, Any Tips?

I spent hours today building my B4 shocks and I still don't have one shock that feels good. I try to bleed the shocks like the instructions say but I end up with too much oil or too much air. Any help would be appreciated.
nyourgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The Yokomo YS8Y bleeder-screw caps make building the AE shocks really easy.
SMcpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you are using the stock shock caps, put oil in and move the shock shaft through it's stroke to get the air bubbles out.

Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the air bubbles to get out of the shock.

Then, with the shock shaft fully extended, fill the shock till the oil is flush with the top.

Screw on the cap tight.

Loosen the cap slightly and start to push the shaft all the way into the shock until it is fully compressed. Make sure the mounting eyelet is intalled when you do this.

When fully compressed, re-tighten the cap. There will be excess oil that comes out, so you may want to wrap the shock body in a rag first. I've been using that method for about ten years now and all the shocks should come out equal.
Chris Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jobo_ph Send a message via Skype™ to jobo_ph

I agree the Yokomo shock caps really help in bleeding AE shocks.

However, I stopped using them because the eyelet "oblongs out" (read: slop) too soon to my liking. I think the material used by Yokomo is soft compared to AE ones.

So, I bought the AE aluminum shock caps and slightly modified my bleeding procedure.

I'd fill the shock body with oil until it "domes" on the rim then screw in the aluminum cap fully. Afterwards, I'd unscrew the cap 2 full turns (maybe slightly more for the AE plastic caps), then slowly push the shaft in until it bottoms out. Some oil and air will seep out through the cap threads. I, then, tighten the cap, pump the shaft several times, then check for rebound.

This method works for me (after doing it several times) and I can more or less get the rebound that is required and can get my shocks about even on the rebound.

Maybe what I do can help but YMMV...
Orion/Yuntong/Maxamps Lipo * AMB #6655738
jobo_ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

FYI, The yokomo cap does not work with the newer AE shocks. I have a newer FTB4 kit, the yok cap does not work. They work with my older FTB4.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
If you are using the stock shock caps, put oil in and move the shock shaft through it's stroke to get the air bubbles out.

Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the air bubbles to get out of the shock.

Then, with the shock shaft fully extended, fill the shock till the oil is flush with the top.

Screw on the cap tight.

Loosen the cap slightly and start to push the shaft all the way into the shock until it is fully compressed. Make sure the mounting eyelet is intalled when you do this.

When fully compressed, re-tighten the cap. There will be excess oil that comes out, so you may want to wrap the shock body in a rag first. I've been using that method for about ten years now and all the shocks should come out equal.
I have tried this but not enough oil seems to bleed out. As I start to screw down the cap the shaft wants to pop back out. Do you hold the shaft against something to keep it from coming back out?

Also when these shocks are build correctly, will they have any air inside? I got one shock pretty close, but if I let the shock sit for 10min or so then try to compress it you hear what sounds like an air bubble breaking up and mixing with the oil.
nyourgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

on my tc3 i put bladder's in the caps and made it easier to build
Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

It took me years to figure this out, but here is what I do and get good results.

Fill the shock with the shaft all the way to the bottom and let it sit for a while until all the air comes out of the shock oil. Hold the shock in one hand an add oil until it domes, Holing that cap with a spare finger of the hand holding the shock, add oil to the shock cap at least up to the threads. Push the shock shaft up a little bit and then with a quick motion, put the cap on (minimizing spillage) and turn it a few threads.

That is all standard. Now here is my secret. Holding the shock over something to catch the drips, I loosen the cap enough that it can be canted very slightly and holding the shock horizontally, push in the shock shaft. The cap should be canted such that the side that has the "wider" opening is on top (remember, shock is horizontal). This lets much of the air come out that canted section of the threads along with a whole bunch of shock oil. Then I screw the shock cap on all the way. I end up with very little rebound this way, but the shock are easier to build consistent from one to the next.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Tech Legend

Only takes minutes to do if you follow the direction`s...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote