Wiki Posts
Search

tire glue HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default tire glue HELP

hey guys, do i NEED to get "tire ca glue" or is it the same as "regular" ca glue?

this would be my first set of tires being glued (pro line road rage 2s on pro line 2.2 velocity wheels) so any other additional advice would be great as well.

thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just use regular CA glue from Loctite, available at my local True Value. I get the little triangular bottles too, one of those is about enough to mount up 4 truck tires. You might think you're saving money by buying one of those huge CA glue bottles, and if you're putting tires together on a pretty regular basis you might very well be, but if you're only going to do one set and that's it for awhile, eventually that glue'll either thicken up so much it won't capillary around the bead or you'll just end up with a solid chunk of stuff in a bottle.

Tire gluing's an experience thing, the only way you'll ever get good at it is to do it, and the more you do the better you get.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

use a dremel and sand down the inner edge of the rim to get the glue to seat better and to remove the chrome which peels off!

a little patience and work pays off when glueing tires and rims
Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

would you guys use thin ca or thick?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Use thick so that you can correct mistakes if they are made. The thin stuff requires you to do things flawlessly.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Absolutely clean the tires and the beads before you glue. There is a mold release lube on them that will make you glue job useless unless you clean it off. Rubbing alcohol works good and is cheap.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

thanks guys! ur advice was helpful and allowed me to get the job done... i think it all went pretty good. thanks again.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
I just use regular CA glue from Loctite, available at my local True Value.
Somebody told me about that stuff and I didn't really think it would work. But man is it easy to use, and it's held up perfect on my 1/8 scale tires. Cheap and works great. Best combo you can find right there.
: )
Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
Somebody told me about that stuff and I didn't really think it would work. But man is it easy to use, and it's held up perfect on my 1/8 scale tires. Cheap and works great. Best combo you can find right there.
: )
Eh, 90% of the little bits & pieces you find in the R/C industry are just repackaged and marked up from the common world. For motor spray, I use automotive brake cleaner. Comm drops = Honda 2-stroke premix oil. Replacement tooling for my comm lathe is readily available for $4 from McMaster-Carr. Vast majority of my tools are WiHa that I get on discount from my car mechanic father's tool guy. And I work at a machine shop to boot.

And body clips, oh my God do people like Pro-Line rape you for a pack of body clips. What is it, like, $5 for an 8 pack of body clips? I got a bag of 50 for about $10. People ask me very delicately if they can borrow a body clip from me, then get all surprised when I turn around and say "Keep 'em, how many do you need?"

It's all about who you know and where to find them
Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Rookie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vmWfFyh668

I found this video awhile back on youtube. It is a tire-gluing video.

Hopefully it helps anyone that is looking for some tire gluing insight.

Cheers