R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-30-2001, 10:08 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default My first 1/8 off road...Kyosho 7.5 or Mugen MBX4-Works

I've had RC-10 trucks...but this is my first 1/8 Off-road...I have always found that people (the board) out there with 1st hand experience on these two trucks could give me enough information to decide between the two.....

Thanks

Last edited by got_speed?; 01-05-2002 at 06:00 PM.
got_speed? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 09:13 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to nova7.5

Listen because this is the truth about these cars!I race several times a week, so I have seen with my own eyes these 2 buggies in action on a daily basis.I can tell you that they are the best out right now.I can't really tell you which one to buy but I can probably help you make a good decision.The most important thing is to pick the buggy that you can most easily get parts for.1/8 scale offroad is not prejudice to breaking things.I can tell you the cars are so close in comparison that whatever one you can get parts for easiest,go with that one!Honestly I have a KANAI and all my buddies race the MUGEN,so I have raced both,and I am being honest here,the MUGEN is a better value.The hopups they give you out of the box are all you will need.To get those hopups on a regular Inferno 7.5 you will spend several hundered dollars!!But I can also tell you that a stock 7.5 will run just as good and even better than a MUGEN.I made my decision like this,you can have the fastest engine around,anyone can have a fast engine,you want to have the best handeling car to handle all that power.The INFERNO handles great!!!!My tracks aren't always the smoothest so having the Inferno with it's awesome handeling, eats up the bumps and ruts,while the MUGEN bounces around.Just remember KYOSHO has been around forever,they must be doing something right!!(plus 5 world championships!!)I hope this helps!!!
I am actually speaking of the MUGEN 4xr works,not the rr(xr works is more updated and race ready and is same price as mp7.5)

Last edited by nova7.5; 01-04-2002 at 09:16 AM.
nova7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:35 PM   #3
Rog
Tech Apprentice

nova7.5 - Great info! I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been racing nitro and electric TCs but want to get into 1:8 buggies. Here's my dilemna...

I can get either XR Works or Kanai for about the same. I have one "main" LHS that can get me Mugen parts but they don't stock them. But! I always get killer discounts at that LHS. On the other hand...there are several LHS in my area that carry Kyosho parts but at what would be regular price. What to do, what to do?
Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 08:57 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

hey rog,you can get an Inferno mp7.5 Kanai edition for the same price as a Mugen XR Works?If that is true I suggest the Kanai.I thought the Kanai was like $700 and the Mugen was $500?Anyways the Mugen is a great car but if you are just starting into 1/8 scale offroad the Inferno is the better choice.It is definetly easier to drive.Good luck!!What kind of engines are you guys going to run in these buggies?
Old 01-05-2002, 11:41 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Nova 7.5.....great info....I would have to read more about the two buggies.....I have not had a Mugen car yet...I heard a lot of good things about them.....For now I'm leaning more towards the Kanai...since I have had several Kyosho cars and they are all rock solid....what kind of Engine do you recomend?? I was thinking of an RB C4 Buggy.....any feed back on that engine??
What kind of steering servo do you use on your Kanai??
Old 01-05-2002, 08:46 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

WHATEVER car you end up getting you win either way,they both are awesome buggies!I have a quick story about these 2 cars from the race track today!One of the guys I race with just got a brand new MUGEN XR Works for CHRISTmas and we were racing at the best track in Florida, when I was screaming down the 150 foot straightaway when this pal of mine(hah),decides to jump the pipes and come down the straightaway reversed and BAM!!!!!!I slammed into him going at least 45 mph(I run a Paris Modified Novarossi SBK in the INFERNO. I don't know too much about RB engines , but I have heard alot of great things about them.There is one reason why I have heard these great things about them,THEY ARE MADE BY NOVAROSSI!!!!!!!).Anyways,all I saw was his rear left tire with CVD still attached come flying towards me,and his car flipping .My car spun out and came to rest still at an idle,as my friend picked up the remains of his rear end.I finished my tank of gas with no apparent damage,and then went over to his car and saw it broken in about 5 or 6 different places with a quick estimation of the damage I guess of at least $60 worth of damage to the MUGEN,and no apparent damage to the KYOSHO.Score one for the good guys "KYOSHO!!!!!"This was at least the third hard collision with a MUGEN that I have had where the MUGEN broke something and I have only at the worst had a bent shock shaft.So you make the choice!!
As for servos I will only use the FUTABA 9450 DIGITAL servo.Yes it is a bit pricey but I guarentee it will be the best servo you ever buy.That servo was the best investment I have ever made in 1/8 scale offroad!Just make sure you have a decent charger for your receiver packs cause they draw more juice than regular servos!
Good luck!Let me know how it works out!

Last edited by nova7.5; 01-05-2002 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:40 AM   #7
Tech Regular

I think that just tipped the scale....Kyosho it is .....now I just have to find a decent price....thanks for all the feedback..I'll post my opinions on the assembly process...
Old 01-07-2002, 02:55 PM   #8
Rog
Tech Apprentice

nova7.5 - once again, great info. I'm leaning towards the Inferno just because it I like Kyosho's stuff. The guy at one shop told me the Kanai was $595. I don't know if that is a good price or if he thought I meant the regular 7.5. I saw the XR-Works for $575 or something like that but I went over to the Ace Hobbies website and it looks like they're selling it for $509. I dunno?!?!? All I know is I'm really wanting the Kanai 7.5 but if it is in fact about $700 I may have to pass. I wish RCCA used the regular 7.5 in their shootout because I'd like to have known if the regular Inferno is a much lesser buggy than the Kanai. As for engines, I haven't even started the research on that yet. I have had Nova, RB and OS engines for my TC. I've had good luck with all my engines but the OS always seems to tune easier and be less of a hassle to run after long layoffs.
Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:46 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Hey ROG the Kanai and the standard 7.5 are the same car , the Kanai just has all the good (some necessary,some not)hopups all ready in the kit.If you bought the standard 7.5 you would spend $300-$400+ to get the hopups in the Kanai.I can tell you the majority of people don't even run the 2 Limited Slip Differentials.Those bought seperatly are like $250,so you can get the standard kit and just buy the necessary hopups now and buy all the cool hopups whenever you got the extra bread!!And not have to spend all that money for the Kanai kit.Just be sure to buy the front torque rod first.If you plan to race hard I highley recommend to buy immediatly the Hardcore Racings titanium hingepin braces,for front and rear bulk heads!
As for engines , you've tried the best so go with what you know and like!
Old 01-24-2002, 03:00 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to tone
Default advice on os21rzv b99 and settup for 7.5

I need some help with my rzv21 b99 can't get it to run right. it's brand new only about 8 tanks in. I turned the top all the way in and 3 turns out and it won't start-up. But it I put it at 1-1\2 it will start up. I have the low in that 1 turn in need help bad. And I need a good sett-up for my 7.5 I have the blue spings and sway bar's F\R
tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:07 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

On the engine I would reccomend starting about 5 out on the bottom and 3 out on the top. Lean the bottom out little by little untill it starts. Then you can tune the top end. On my Kanai I run 3,000 in the front, 7,000 in the center, and 1,000 in the rear with the stock diffs. In the front I run 40wt with blue springs and in the rear I run 25 or 30 with blue springs. I the rear I use the middle thickness sway bar tight and the front a small sway bar loose. I hope this helps some.
mp-7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 10:34 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to vthondaboi Send a message via Yahoo to vthondaboi

for those of you who want a complete comparison review here's what I found

http://www.rcnitro.com/RN/articles/buggy_showd.asp

it has the ofna, mugen, kyosho and one other
vthondaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 06:38 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

Hello guys
I need some sorta initial shocks setup for my MP6.
What oil viscosity, piston and spring rate are you currently using or will use for a somewhat high traction and medium bumpy track ?
I also need to know a good starting point for the diff oil thickness for front, center and rear.

Thanks.

Last edited by redsand; 02-17-2002 at 06:41 PM.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote