R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #76
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Interesting thread. BTW, at least some of these ideas are being done at some level.

Traxxas promotes as Monster Truck events with their own truck. Haven't seen their truck in person, but an event I went to several years ago had RCs blasting around the place between the trucks and the motocrossers that were also part of the show. Surely at events with their truck they have their RC stuff running around somewhere.

Rc Driver does races at Daytona and I think the Brickyard with Nascar rookies. Then they auction the cars for charity. Perhaps they should give a few away to the crowd somehow?
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #77
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott54 View Post
I've donated my experience and knowledge to help promote the tracks I race at and recently, to help promote and get sponsors for a recent race held at my local track. What I've noticed is that these companies are reaching for ideas and are basically desperate for ideas on how to expand their market. This was obvious with how anxious and generous most of the companies were in helping with our event.
Scott, I don't know the difference between Marketing and Sales, but I would like to do what I can to help my local tracks. Can you share with us some of the companies you got involved in sponsoring local races? Any tips on how to approach them?

Our local track guys are fabulous, but they simply can't do it all themselves. One thing that does seem to be working is having big trophy races, instead of just weekly club races. Seems to be the perfect opportunity for outside sponsorships, lots of people at once, no long term commitments, at least for starters.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

F N Cuda - you have some incredible ideas!!!!! and it seems like you have been wanting to do something like this for a while.

I know this may be off the immediate topic but it is something that has been on my mind, because of a conversation that I had with a track owner.

One of the cronic complaints with the up keep on the local track, is the track owners need volunteers. Unfortunately many are in my shoes and dont have the time to spare, and or are not able to physically do labor type work.

Personally I dont have the time with work, night classes, and a family, but I can sure give a few dollars to the track owner, in which he can use to hire help. I think many track owners rely on volunteers and get fed up with no one helping with the up keep.

The local track here was talking about charging everyone $5 a day for unlimited use (does not include races) and they get a punch card. When you spend $50 the rest of the year is free. Basically its $50 a year to use the track but you can pay in $5 increments so it dosnt hurt the wallet that bad, and they would have the money to do the up keep, not rely on volunteers, and they can just run there business as a business.

Personally I think its a good idea to help on the local level, though it may or may not help the hobby as a whole, but its a start. Start local and go from there.

It was just on my mind and I waned to see what others were thinking about this.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #79
Tech Adept

Thats a good idea OG. It needs to start somewhere. In the end we will need to companies support but if we can at least rally the troops and get a little buzz started in our local communities, that would be an awesome start.

I too am plagued with work. I work in NYC and commute from NJ and I average 50-60hrs per week plus commuting time. Then I have my own clients that I do work for (I am kinda slacking now as I should be doing a logo for a rigging company). My time for really getting deep in the dirt is saturday afternoons and some sundays. Some weeks I get home late but still wanna beat on my ride so I drive my car into the woods, turn on the brights and bash around for a pack. I did that tonight actually. I broke an A-Arm...perfect excuse to upgrade to carbon.

Anyway, I am going to try really hard to open my schedule so I can start making calls and see I can't pull off a move or two. I really want to look into both the Speed Channel and VS (If they can air bullriding, they can air RC) and try to get some info as to how to get this off the ground. Maybe even come up with an idea for a TV show dedicated to RC and try to sell it to them.

There is a park here in Wayne, NJ called Captain Kilroy Park (Tom's Lake for short) that has a nice wide open area for a decent sized track for 1/10th electric off-road with enough space for people to spectate and a drivers stand. I just need to ask the town if it would be ok. I will put the time and money building it....then again I have never built a track, but that really has never stopped me in the past.
TomBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 AM   #80
Tech Regular

I like the idea of non RC associations.

something like how F1 works, RedBull F1 team.

RedBull seem to have cash to burn on sponsorship deals, and most of it is involved with extreme sports of some sort, most of it motorsport.

RedBull Losi or RedBull AE ??
Old 04-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Something that used to be done at tracks was that they would have have a few rental cars that people could run if they wanted to. You could add $15 to any race fee & then let them race that day. It seems like everytime you see a person pick up a radio for the first time their face just lights up. I'm sure you could find a couple used setups for under $300 each for these people to run.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBlaze View Post
Thats a good idea OG. It needs to start somewhere. In the end we will need to companies support but if we can at least rally the troops and get a little buzz started in our local communities, that would be an awesome start.

I too am plagued with work. I work in NYC and commute from NJ and I average 50-60hrs per week plus commuting time. Then I have my own clients that I do work for (I am kinda slacking now as I should be doing a logo for a rigging company). My time for really getting deep in the dirt is saturday afternoons and some sundays. Some weeks I get home late but still wanna beat on my ride so I drive my car into the woods, turn on the brights and bash around for a pack. I did that tonight actually. I broke an A-Arm...perfect excuse to upgrade to carbon.

Anyway, I am going to try really hard to open my schedule so I can start making calls and see I can't pull off a move or two. I really want to look into both the Speed Channel and VS (If they can air bullriding, they can air RC) and try to get some info as to how to get this off the ground. Maybe even come up with an idea for a TV show dedicated to RC and try to sell it to them.

There is a park here in Wayne, NJ called Captain Kilroy Park (Tom's Lake for short) that has a nice wide open area for a decent sized track for 1/10th electric off-road with enough space for people to spectate and a drivers stand. I just need to ask the town if it would be ok. I will put the time and money building it....then again I have never built a track, but that really has never stopped me in the past.

Saturday and sunday 19th and 20th trophy race at long island raceway bring yourself and your friends.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #83
Tech Adept

RB I would love to go and bring friends but the problem is the commute. Thats is an hour an a half from me and to get my friends to get there is not very easy and the price of gas is a deterrent. I very much want to go and check out the off-road racing scene. So hopefully as I start to get some extra downtime I will go.

What would be good is to get some amateur videographers to do a nice edited taping of the whole race complete with commentary and upload it to youtube then link it to as many different sites that you can. Send copies of it to speed channel, VS, Spike, ESPN2 and the like or just send it to me and I will see what I can do to get it into the hands of as many networks as possible. Maybe even get MSNBC online to do an article in their tech section. RC is news worthy it just needs people to direct the media to the hobby.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #84
Tech Apprentice

We are trying to get some TV Coverage for the Midwest races in columbus this coming Jan. Live RC helps alot and i think is great start.
waggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #85
Tech Adept

OK I sent a message to the PINKS show about this thread just a few minutes ago. I would ask that anyone who is interested in helping out to send feedback as well.

Here is the link to do it:

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback/
Old 04-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #86
Tech Adept

Another one sent to VS.

I posted in their forum. Create an account there and show some support.

http://ww3.versus.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #87
Tech Initiate

One thing I have noticed at the few hobby shops in Tucson (I live about 70 miles from Tucson), is that the staff (and even the owner/operator of one) have really terrible attitudes. The treat the guys that are in there everyday much better that the average guy. It's a real drag.
derrickh_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:06 AM   #88
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hey Tom,
I took your lead and dropped a small feedback.
Actually 2.
Here's a copy of what I sent to the SPEED link:

Dear Sirs,
I am contacting you as a fan of radio controlled car racing.
If I may, I would like to describe to you the caliber of talent that exists in the world of R/C racing.

When a competition on a National or World Championship level is staged, one of the most typical formats is as follows:
Upwards of 250 - 300 racers register (registration requires a set limit) to compete in that scheduled event.

Just as with fullsized vehicles like NASCAR, F-1, Touring Cars and Supercross motorcycles to list a few, these championships cater to many different types of cars and trucks with both 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive for either offroad or onroad racing.
There are both electric (battery powered) and "gas" powered radio controlled car championships.

Each racer will get the chance to race in 3 to 4 "qualifiers" to establish their personal best performance with the ultimate goal of being "The Top Qualifier" or "TQ".
This will be determined by the maximum number of laps completed in a given amount of time. That time is usually set at 5 minutes and is monitored by a computerized lap counting system with a transponder (radio signal transmitter) in each vehicle.
Example: Racer X completed 17 laps in 5 minutes and 12.38 seconds resulting in the #1 or "TQ" position.
The top 10 qualifiers will advance to the "A Main" and race for the title of Champion in each perspective division.
The next 10 racers are placed in the "B Main" and so on.

The impressive statistic of these races is the fact that as difficult as it is to qualify for an "A Main" at an event of this caliber, there are a handful of racers that continue to "make the A" AND win titles race after race and for an elite few, year after year and for even fewer, decade after decade.
These amazing racers are without question, R/C racing's superstars not to be rivaled by ANY other professional sports celebrities.
The top racers in this sport have been competing and winning titles in multiple classifications for well into 3 decades as well as the fresher faces that have won multiple championships in just a few short years.

This type of racing is very competitive and exciting to watch and can easily be participated in at an entry level with a very small initial start up cost.
As little as $300 will allow a beginner to purchase an "RTR" Ready To Run vehicle of his choice that will be reliable and serviceable with readily available parts and service advise from his/her local hobby store.
Hobby stores and race tracks are literally everywhere across the nation and around the world.
Internet retailers also supply complete parts, and service advise for ease of customer satisfaction.

In my honest opinion, this sport is lacking ONLY a professional level of production in terms of race coverage and even exposure when it comes to just plain recreational enjoyment.

If just one World or National Championship event was produced and presented in the same manner as a professional television race broadcast containing multiple camera angles, replays of the lead/position changes, expert genuinely? enthusiastic color commentary (like the guys on the canadian motocross coverage on SPEED, those guys LOVE their racing and never let it rest!), slo mo, close ups, pit passes to check out rides and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL,
INTRODUCE US TO THE DRIVERS!
Give us someone to root for.
Let us know who's hot right now,
who is always a threat and
who needs a comback.
MAKE US CARE ABOUT WHO HAS A CHANCE TO WIN IT ALL.

2nd note sent:

Gentlemen,
My apologies, I mistakingly sent my previous email prematurely.

To sum up my thoughts on Pro level R/C racing I would like to say that if it was presented to the public in the same manner as you now present your other motorsports coverages, I unquestionably believe that it would be a successful
program which would result in requests to continue coverage and to also cover different categories of the sport.
I want to assure you that I only represent an enthusiast's view of R/C racing and recreation and absolutely no manufacturers although I feel as though they should be contacting you with the enthusiasm and sincerety I have felt for years.

I'm inserting a link to a race that happened recently that has top drivers, an enthusiastic announcer, and if it was covered at a level that copies SPEED's presentation, I feel would be a great success.
Thank you very much for the attention,
Sincerely,
Craig Hammon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEdryU0Keo
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #89
Tech Adept

Yestderday, I talked to some of the local police in my area. I asked them how they would feel about an RC track being added to one of the many parks in the area after giving them a demo of my RC10 B4 hauling ass and doing jumps and stuff. They thought it would be a cool idea. As cops there only concern is kids fighting over these things and/or stealing them. I said that the mindset of people into this hobby doesn't really sink to that level.

I have to attend a town council meeting. 2 cops said they would even come to show support for my idea. Since I am willing to use my own time and money to build a track, all I need from the town is a slice of park. In lieu of this, I am now going to talk to a few local hobby shops and see hwo I can get the involved.

It turns out that every person that sees my buggy speeing around develops an almost immediate interest. Even when we talk price points they still ask where I got my buggy and if their are cheaper alternatives. A lot of fathers like the idea of building one of these with their kids and mother like them becausethey dont have to get a call form the police saying that their kids just had his head removed while riding motorcross or something like that.

All that this hobby needs is brand recognition on a national scale beyond the trade magazines, toy shows, and demos at sporting events where the RC doesn't get any air time.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #90
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ESWLFSE

Awesome thread!

Couple things come to mind...

Electric is definitely the future and noise is a concern, but the sound of racing has always been a big part of the thrill. I can't watch an electric race even if they are faster then nitro because when the audio is gone a big part of the thrill of spectating goes away for me as well. Don't kick nitro to the curb. Some of us will never race electric - or at least not before fossil fuels are gone and F1 is electric.

Full scale racing venues are the key to marketing this hobby. A large number of racers and fans are already involved, and demos/tracks setup and marketed along with full scale races are going to be one key way to bring this hobby mainstream.

I just moved to FL and I am seeing fantastic things here at SS in Tampa with the IGTs, at Homestead due to the track location within a full scale racing facility, the upcoming Kissimmee race that now for the first time is including IGT and fantastic coverage, etc. etc. I believe Port Charlotte's track is within a public park - haven't been there yet but that should provide great exposure. Fort Meyers has enough history and an international reputation. I could see a documentary on cable about the history of RC racing and Winternats coverage at that facility as a real possibility sometime in the future.

On a more grassroots level definitely involve local government. Young people need to get away from video and any new public outdoor family recreation activity/facility will never be a hard sell if the economics can be worked out.
ESWLFSE is offline   Reply With Quote