R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #136
Tech Champion
 
F N CUDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mission Viejo, So Cal
Posts: 5,489
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

I really don't think cost is a factor.
How much is an Ipod or anything related?
How about any game system? New games?
Laptop?
Bicycle, skateboard, sports equipment?
If we want it we friggin buy it!

Now, the trick is to make em want an R/C car!
Just cuz you build it does not mean they will come. It's here and they're not comin!
If they WANT to, they will come/participate.
Demos, word of mouth, exposure, show em how fun drivin these things is.
Show em how easy it is to do. Period.

Now, why do we need to be "mainstream"?
What's in it for those of us that are already way into it?
Will it mean better stuff? Cheaper stuff? More stuff?
More tracks I suppose would be really nice.
We can already get what we need pretty much, no?
I'm just askin, not tryin to shoot anything down.
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #137
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 115
Default

Well after seeing some of Traxxas's ads, I have to refine my opinion a bit. They are on the right track but I still think that their strategy can use a little refinement. I own an E-Maxx now and my LHS stocks a lot of Traxxas vehicles. They are durable, easy to get started with, competitive and their price points directly compete with console videogames.

The only kink I see in their strategy is the way they are marketing. Traxxas isn't a household name so people seeing their large logo on a sign hanging at a monster truck rally won't be as impactful. I feel that they should focus more on RC using a headline like - THE RC REVOLUTION IS HERE. ARE YOU READY? - Traxxas - www.traxxas.com The headline should be the primary element with the logo still readable but not overpowering the headline. People will respond to that and the net result will more hits on their website.

I do see that they are using their capital wisely but it also shows that they didn't invest it in a branding firm and if they did, they need to hire a new one because they dropped the ball. The last branding firm I worked for would have done a much better job at selling RC to the public.

Keep on truckin Traxxas! I just bought an E-Maxx and soon a Rustler VXL. Great products. Use my knowledge. I beg you! (Yes I am a Start Wars geek)
TomBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #138
Tech Champion
 
Jason Pelletier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,820
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBlaze View Post
Well after seeing some of Traxxas's ads, I have to refine my opinion a bit. They are on the right track but I still think that their strategy can use a little refinement. I own an E-Maxx now and my LHS stocks a lot of Traxxas vehicles. They are durable, easy to get started with, competitive and their price points directly compete with console videogames.

The only kink I see in their strategy is the way they are marketing. Traxxas isn't a household name so people seeing their large logo on a sign hanging at a monster truck rally won't be as impactful. I feel that they should focus more on RC using a headline like - THE RC REVOLUTION IS HERE. ARE YOU READY? - Traxxas - www.traxxas.com The headline should be the primary element with the logo still readable but not overpowering the headline. People will respond to that and the net result will more hits on their website.

I do see that they are using their capital wisely but it also shows that they didn't invest it in a branding firm and if they did, they need to hire a new one because they dropped the ball. The last branding firm I worked for would have done a much better job at selling RC to the public.

Keep on truckin Traxxas! I just bought an E-Maxx and soon a Rustler VXL. Great products. Use my knowledge. I beg you! (Yes I am a Start Wars geek)
Yea, But they do sponsor a monster truck team and a corr off road truck team. they need to that on the trucks !!
__________________
Island Raceway & Hobby
Jason Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #139
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vine Grove, KY
Posts: 228
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

F N Cuda makes a great point. I don't really care who races as long as I have a place to do it with a great group of racers. I've been racing since 1989 with a few periods where I didn't race; these periods were simply because I didn't live near any tracks. How do we push the hobby to open more tracks?
richard.bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #140
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBlaze View Post
Well after seeing some of Traxxas's ads, I have to refine my opinion a bit. They are on the right track but I still think that their strategy can use a little refinement. I own an E-Maxx now and my LHS stocks a lot of Traxxas vehicles. They are durable, easy to get started with, competitive and their price points directly compete with console videogames.

The only kink I see in their strategy is the way they are marketing. Traxxas isn't a household name so people seeing their large logo on a sign hanging at a monster truck rally won't be as impactful. I feel that they should focus more on RC using a headline like - THE RC REVOLUTION IS HERE. ARE YOU READY? - Traxxas - www.traxxas.com The headline should be the primary element with the logo still readable but not overpowering the headline. People will respond to that and the net result will more hits on their website.

I do see that they are using their capital wisely but it also shows that they didn't invest it in a branding firm and if they did, they need to hire a new one because they dropped the ball. The last branding firm I worked for would have done a much better job at selling RC to the public.

Keep on truckin Traxxas! I just bought an E-Maxx and soon a Rustler VXL. Great products. Use my knowledge. I beg you! (Yes I am a Start Wars geek)
Tom, again I'm just talking to you casually.

I find it hard to understand how you can call out manufacturers, but never seen a Traxxas ad? Also you have a very impressive list of clients, but it's much easier to say it's easy to be a household name when you deal with clients that are already.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #141
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugs Bunny View Post
Derek,
I appreciate your frustration and I agree magazines are one of the several avenues for bringing people into the hobby. But that not withstanding, I think you are kidding yourself if you feel the current magazines serve the interests of the hobbyist well. The fact is that the current spate of RC magazines are reliant on the manufacturers for not only their content but their revenue. As such your allegiances lie with them and that puts you at odds with some if not all of your readership. I went on your website to check out some of your reviews and while most were either of cars I knew were solid or I had no knowledge of, the TC4 I know well and know it's not great. Now mind you the TC4 isn't a bad car, but it is no where near as good as it's contemporaries. And yet Shane Archer said "It's difficult to say that Associated has hit a home run with the car, but they've come close." That's also as close to truth as it seems we can get. Everyone who has seen that car knows it's merely a warmed over TC3 and there were chassis kits out for the TC3 that could in fact produce a better car than what Associated was offering. But did you say people should just buy a TC3? Did you suggest they take a look at an Xray instead? No, you said what you ALWAYS say "this is a great car now go buy it".

Look, you do what you do, but don't come here and cry foul when people state the obvious if unpleasant truth. It would be like the editor of Progressive Farmer magazine going into a HIGH TIMES forum and asking why people there don't buy the magazine. After all they all work with dirt. You say that your magazine is your opinion, if so it's been heard and sorry to say many find it worthless. If you really need to feel appreciated here than produce a product people here will find useful and as a template you could do far worse than Competition Plus. Otherwise be content at trying to be the best catalog in the business. There's nothing wrong with that.
I love when people think they know a business they know nothing about. Come on man. I'll never try to fool you that the advertisers in the magazine aren't paying bills, but there is a level of self respect and credibility that most people live by. I will ignore the fact that you think that I'm "bought out'

The TC4, what was wrong with it? XRAY? We pick it as our X-Best ....i think for 4 years now.

I'm not here trying to tell everybody who thinks they are more educated or have better ideas than magazines that I'm better than you...I just saw a post that I think was invalid and misleading...

If you want to debate what is good for the hobby, if you say magazines that focus on it are not...I really don't agree with you at all. In fact, most people have no plan or action on making anything better than complaining about it on the internet.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #142
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post


I would have to agree with you. I have seen Traxxas advertisements all over the place RC related. Though it would be cool to see them do an add in Stuff or Maxim magazine, to get the 20 or 30 something croud, who would have the budget to get in to it. Just an idea to get more out of the box .
They have run ads in Stuff and Maxim!
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #143
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Before this becomes a "Derek Versus Internet" or "Mag versus Internet" the topic of this thread is bringing RC to mainstream (if you don't think it isn't there already). I'm not here to argue if you like my magazine, or any magazine. But if you're going to discuss anything it's probably a good idea to argue with some sort of fact or logic.

Assuming that things are a certain way is a horrible, ignorant way to try and prove a point. Many people just assume things are a certain way, or just because it's the internet if they post enough it "must be true"...sort of a Wikipedia way of being right (it must be true if everybody believes it right?....wrong).

If you really want to "make a difference" don't do the usually "well everybody is wrong" and just BS on the internet. There are lots of people companies and ideas that do much more than anybody cares to understand or take in a positive manner.

I don't agree with the mentality that "magazines are horrible and do nothing but mislead everybody". I will agree that there have been articles I do agree to that with, but in general even the horrible magazines do more than most people do for the industry by posting on a website...which BTW is just like a magazine...in that it's here because of advertisers and has people who have an opinion of product.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #144
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
I find it hard to understand how you can call out manufacturers, but never seen a Traxxas ad? Also you have a very impressive list of clients, but it's much easier to say it's easy to be a household name when you deal with clients that are already.
DerekB, You drive a hard debate

To be honest, The reason I haven't seen any Traxxas ads outside of magazines is because I never noticed them. Once I started looking for them, I found them. Which brings me to the point about why I think the actual marketing campaign is a little off. I have a unique perspective because I just returned to this hobby after a very long hiatus. During that time I was part of the target audience, that they missed. Those that would have interest in RC but not actively involved. I watch a lot of TV, mostly cable like Speed Channel, ESPN1 + 2, Gameplay HD, Tech TV, Science Channel, Discovery, TLC, History Channel along with the premium channels. I saw no ads whatsoever for RC vehicles. Its wasn't until I got back into the hobby , started this thread and then looked for the ads did I see them and then only one....it was a rerun of a Monster Truck show late at night on either SPeed or ESPN2 (it was late so I was tired). I saw Traxxas signs hanging on the walls around the arena amongst other ads.

I also read mags like Popular Mechanics and Popular Science as well as Scientific American, Wired and National Geographic. I read Newspapers as well. I saw no ads for RC in any of them.

Right now they are reaching the core audience. To bring in new people they have to market differently. This isn't harsh criticism of their practices I just think they have room for improvement and the more I look at their ad material and use their product the more I think that they are poised to be the first true giant amongst the RC manufacturers. I am speculating that they are building to that seeing how they are advertising and now I have a good understanding of their target market.

They should have the American Chopper guys build them a promotional chopper for the company. Great exposure for the product. Those guys would have a blast running around on E-Maxxes, and Rustler VXLs on the show. They also have the perfect audience for their target audience. All it would take is a phone call and about 200k+ to have the bike built plus advertising if they wanted a spot or two during the show. They can have them use a brushless motor for the bike instead of a gas engine.
TomBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:40 PM   #145
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBlaze View Post
DerekB, You drive a hard debate

To be honest, The reason I haven't seen any Traxxas ads outside of magazines is because I never noticed them. Once I started looking for them, I found them. Which brings me to the point about why I think the actual marketing campaign is a little off. I have a unique perspective because I just returned to this hobby after a very long hiatus. During that time I was part of the target audience, that they missed. Those that would have interest in RC but not actively involved. I watch a lot of TV, mostly cable like Speed Channel, ESPN1 + 2, Gameplay HD, Tech TV, Science Channel, Discovery, TLC, History Channel along with the premium channels. I saw no ads whatsoever for RC vehicles. Its wasn't until I got back into the hobby , started this thread and then looked for the ads did I see them and then only one....it was a rerun of a Monster Truck show late at night on either SPeed or ESPN2 (it was late so I was tired). I saw Traxxas signs hanging on the walls around the arena amongst other ads.

I also read mags like Popular Mechanics and Popular Science as well as Scientific American, Wired and National Geographic. I read Newspapers as well. I saw no ads for RC in any of them.

Right now they are reaching the core audience. To bring in new people they have to market differently. This isn't harsh criticism of their practices I just think they have room for improvement and the more I look at their ad material and use their product the more I think that they are poised to be the first true giant amongst the RC manufacturers. I am speculating that they are building to that seeing how they are advertising and now I have a good understanding of their target market.

They should have the American Chopper guys build them a promotional chopper for the company. Great exposure for the product. Those guys would have a blast running around on E-Maxxes, and Rustler VXLs on the show. They also have the perfect audience for their target audience. All it would take is a phone call and about 200k+ to have the bike built plus advertising if they wanted a spot or two during the show. They can have them use a brushless motor for the bike instead of a gas engine.

I don't disagree with you that there are avenues to be explored. I guess you missed American Hot Rod when Losi was on there, or American Chopper when RC Driver did something (actually I don't know what they ran on TV, they did run some article in the magazine but I don't feel having celebs in an RC magazine does anything).

But what you do miss is that a lot of these industries have co-op advertising to get on TV (Hobby Town runs local, and local hobbyshops can advertise cheaply on TV).

HPI/AE go to Monster Jam, Pacific Coast Hobbies was at the X-Games for 3 years, done concerts at stadums (try me tracks), Hobby people out here has mailers in papers, Cen had some race on Pinks...it goes on and on really.

So you see there IS stuff going on, but just because you're into marketing doesn't mean you'll see it...or notice Traxxas if your just into touring cars.

I've seen Tamiya and other stuff in Playboy, Traxxas is sponsoring CORR trucks, Monster Trucks...HPI has a race car they run in a touring car series.

But it comes down to money, and while there are companies that make a lot, there are some that can't even afford to run a $500 ad in an RC magazine, nevermind the $45K it might be in a general interest magazine that you'd be lucky to get hits from.

There are lots of things going on that many people in RC are just simply unaware of, and don't look for. Instead they think complaining on the internet about something is a valid way to help.

You have a nice passion for trying to make a company more notice, I appreciate that. But I think you coming from a huge marketing team, and working for companies that sneeze millions in marketing that it scales down. It can, but money isn't something that's always there to try.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #146
Tech Elite
 
OG RC 10T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,658
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
They have run ads in Stuff and Maxim!
I never noticed before, but I will keep an eye out for the adds. Thanks.
__________________
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #147
Tech Elite
 
OG RC 10T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,658
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
EXACTLY!

the costs of everything is what turns people away from the hobby! remember, it is just a hobby...
I dont think cost turns people away. Hobbies are fun and a past time. If its something that your truely interested in, you will find a way to pay for it, buy something used, or less expensive.

I know I mentioned this before, in another thread, but I have a $500 motorcycle helmet, and $800 vance and hines exhaust on my motorcycle. I have almost $500 in a WII that I never really use and almost a grand tied up in my B44 with electronics, battery, and parts. I am not bragging about my expencive stuff (I drive an old jeep) its just that if some one truely wants something they can get it. Not to mention I have a $165 RTR 1/18th rc18t that I just bought.

Just to make a point the 1/18 is complete and if you wanted to get into RC you can for under $200.
__________________
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #148
Tech Addict
 
Metla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 631
Default

Imo the cost of getting started doesn't turn people away from the hobby, In comparison to a lot of other things its very very cheap, Hell, $120 will get you a RTR buggy or truck that is loads of fun.

However the cost does go up quite steeply if you expect to hit the track and be competitive, Still not a huge expense in comparison but a fair but more then just bashing. I can see many people being quite content to just bash.......

It also happens in other hobbies, I own a road bike, I know dozens of others who ride them socially, a handful that go to track days.

And ONE who races in local level competition.

Likewise for dirt bikes......
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #149
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 115
Default

DerekB, thanks again for your great insight. I do understand where you are coming from which is the reason I am willing to donate my services to these companies to show them my ideas and your input has been outstanding in that capacity.

I do understand that money is an issue. Which is why I want to help them create a marketing package at no charge. As you said, I have experience with multi-billion dollar companies and I know exactly what goes into creating a successful marketing campaign. I am used to harshly discriminating taste when it comes to marketing material and have a great experience in meeting the high standards that these corporations set.

While I do not have the time or money to put together a full service creative team and develop a massive campaign, I can lay down the framework and as I mentioned before I would make it available to all companies to use as a baseline resource to refine their strategies. Since, you mentioned that these manufacturers partner up on some of their advertising, that makes it even easier for me to create this resource. All I really need from them is some basic creative, logos, brand guidelines if they have them, photography and a little input as to what direction they plan on taking their businesses. Traxxas is the one that I would love to work with the most as it seems they have the right idea already and the financing to pull it off.

I can, of course, do all that myself, It would take me a work day to properly recreate their art and I can take my own photos for high quality photography. Hell, I could probably reverse engineer their brands at this point which I may do simply for the challenge.

Thanks again for adding a little fire to this thread. I love a good discussion and you sir have class.
TomBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #150
Tech Master
 
DerekB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBlaze View Post
DerekB, thanks again for your great insight. I do understand where you are coming from which is the reason I am willing to donate my services to these companies to show them my ideas and your input has been outstanding in that capacity.

I do understand that money is an issue. Which is why I want to help them create a marketing package at no charge. As you said, I have experience with multi-billion dollar companies and I know exactly what goes into creating a successful marketing campaign. I am used to harshly discriminating taste when it comes to marketing material and have a great experience in meeting the high standards that these corporations set.

While I do not have the time or money to put together a full service creative team and develop a massive campaign, I can lay down the framework and as I mentioned before I would make it available to all companies to use as a baseline resource to refine their strategies. Since, you mentioned that these manufacturers partner up on some of their advertising, that makes it even easier for me to create this resource. All I really need from them is some basic creative, logos, brand guidelines if they have them, photography and a little input as to what direction they plan on taking their businesses. Traxxas is the one that I would love to work with the most as it seems they have the right idea already and the financing to pull it off.

I can, of course, do all that myself, It would take me a work day to properly recreate their art and I can take my own photos for high quality photography. Hell, I could probably reverse engineer their brands at this point which I may do simply for the challenge.

Thanks again for adding a little fire to this thread. I love a good discussion and you sir have class.
I hope somebody might take you up, but if they can't afford to pay the money to have something designed, where do you think they would have the money to use your ideas?

The companies that have the money to pay somebody to do their marketing, have a team already. All the "majors' have in-house design and marketing. And I agree some may not be that good, but it's hard for me to think they would use a 3rd party.

But I'll do something to help that. PM me if anybody has taken you up on your offer and I'll do something to show that I appreciate your enthusiasm, and help that company out as well.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bringing 1/64 Hobby Grade Racing to a Reality!!! customminatures Micro and Mini Scales 23 07-21-2007 11:20 PM
Bringing rcraceresults.com back - would appreciate input RichChang Web Links 3 04-27-2007 08:19 AM
Bringing Grandpa out of retirement: Yokomo YR-4M2 Pro PseudoScience Electric On-Road 17 02-15-2007 10:42 PM
Bringing vintage RC up to date mikethemachinis Electric On-Road 3 03-28-2006 10:06 AM
GP Bringing Out 3600's NR Electric On-Road 167 12-28-2004 09:35 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:46 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net