R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Removed

Interested to hear what 4wd buggies you all found easiest to drive right out of the box.

Any modern 4wd is good with time and tuning...my question is, what do you all think is the easiest and quickest around the track out of the box without a lot of wrenching or tons of set up advice.

Hopefully, this doesn't turn into another parts availability, durability, or "drive what other local drivers are driving" type of discussion.

I remember Car Action did a shoot out where all the cars were equipped with Team Losi Blockheads (silver compound) up front and Team Losi BK Bars (red compound) in the rear. Pros were allowed to take the cars around the track and make final setup adjustments.

At the time, there was no Associated B44, Kyosho ZX5, Tamiya 501, or Hot Bodies D4, but they tested the following:

1. XXX-4 graphite plus (Mike Truhe's)
2. XX-4 W.E. (Travis Amezcua's)
3. X-5 (Greg Hodapp's)
4. Yokomo MR4-BX (Masami's)
5. Durango (Joe Pillars)
6. BJ4 W.E. (Ryan Cavalieri's)

Interesting article, they had 3 different driver's (one novice, and two expert level) drive these factory rides and each gave their opinions....

It's a 10 page article so too much info to include here...but here are some quotes from the article:

a) fastest lap times were recorded with the Durango, XX-4, and XXX-4;

b) the BJ4 and XX-4 were pegged as "most aggressive cars, so they were tougher to drive...had loads of steering...",;

c) the X-5 and Durango were "the easiest to drive,...had very nuetral setups, and neither were overpowered rockets";

d) the two advance drivers "prefer the feel of the Yokomo or XXX-4, they were fast, yet not too much to handle"

It seemed from all the comments (not just those above) that the driver's really liked the XXX-4 and the Yokomo MR-4BX.... as being easy to drive fast and balanced... they all agreed that the BJ4 W.E. was difficult to drive.

Pretty interesting, just wondering what similar experiences you all have with buggies that you just put down (whether a friend's or out of the box) and immediately liked without any real set up headaches or wrenching.

Again, let's leave the parts availability and durability issues to the other 4WD threads.

Last edited by 4times; 03-31-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Back by popular demand.
4times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hands down, the ZX-5 SP is the best handling car out of the box. The kit setup is just about dialed on any track. Just build it and throw it down.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Easy, out of the box. Thats simple and there is only one true answer.

The RTR laxer ZX-5. You dont need any knowledge at all, its ready to run, put a battery in it and go. It dosnt get much simpler than that. Its already set up and ready to go.

If your talking a person who can build a buggy, or has experiance, and or already has knowledge on servos, esc and motor combos, batteries, ect... its not realy a fair question to ask.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think he's asking about "easy to drive" and not to build or to get ready to run.

I haven't driven to many different 4wds, and even fewer with with the "box setup". However, I can say the box setup on the ZX5 SP is very good and easy to drive...at least on the track I run at. I've been running it since it came out and have changed very little from the box setup.
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I can't comment on the SP, haven't driven it. I switched from the original ZX-5 with KM Concepts chassis, to a B44. And I have to say the B44 is pretty dialed right out of the box. I only changed to lighter springs & lighter fluid because of the lighter Lipo. It definitely was a huge improvement over my ZX-5...tons more steering. From what I hear the SP is a lot better in that department.

Oh yeah, Kyosho RTR's = POOP!
beast95451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4times View Post
Any modern 4wd is good with time and tuning...my question is, what do you all think is the easiest and quickest around the track out of the box without a lot of wrenching or tons of set up advice.
c) the X-5 and Durango were "the easiest to drive,...had very nuetral setups, and neither were overpowered rockets";
'Cept you can't buy a Durango. Now, the X - 5 squared doesn't win in the easy-to-build contest, as its a conversion kit and takes a small bit of modification of the original car; however if you've used a dremel even once before that shouldn't be a big deal. And the car is so easy and forgiving to drive, it really is... I use the same set-up practically everywhere, its just hooked up.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

10 years and still kickin,

XX4
F N CUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

just dont break that xx chassis ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have driven a few but i havent found a easier car to drive then my lazer zx-5 sp, i have barely strayed from th box set-up and i am very fast and consistant with it. Makes me look like a pro !

Trust me if it sucked i would go buy a different car.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
I have driven a few but i havent found a easier car to drive then my lazer zx-5 sp, i have barely strayed from th box set-up and i am very fast and consistant with it.
I can say the same thing with my 501. I tell many people that the car is easy to drive and easy to drive fast. It turns well and is stable (likely due to weight... it is a heavy car). I'm sure added weight can make a car feel less twitchy on track. Mine with LRP Sphere TC Spec, Novak 6.5 Light, MaxAmps 4000 mAh LiPo saddles, 75 grams of added rear weight for traction, KO 2413 shorty servo, Spektrum micro and personal transponder weighs in at 1750 grams. Cars like the B44, Lazer, or D4 with similar components would weigh considerably less I assume.
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Edit

Last edited by 4times; 06-09-2008 at 07:15 PM.
4times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have driven the 501x and it isnt easy like the lazer, it has very aggresive turn in and felt a bit twitchy. If you aren't die hard don't go with this car. it has belts and harder to get parts for, it is also 200 bucks more.

go with the new lazer sp you wont be sorry. Build it to kit specs and plop it down and hold on tight.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I always love the "plug your sponsor thread"
Old 03-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Tech Adept

The Schumacher cat 2000 cars were the best!
DAVE BERNATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

I've only ever driven the XXX-4, but I loved that car. I always performed extremely well with it. It didn't matter if the surface was hard packed clay or loamy dirt - the car was just easy to drive without having to change the entire setup. I think the XXX-4 was underrated by far.

For the record, I prefer to drive cars that have tons of steering and are aggressive through the jumps/turns etc., so I don't have to be.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote