Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rustler drive shaft problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Rustler drive shaft problem

My drive shaft has been poping off my rustler were it goes into the gear box and has been ever seince i locked the difs and it pops of every time i drive it and its a pain in the a$$
Old 08-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My guess is that you're running on pavement? When turning, physics dictate that the outer wheel must travel farther than the inner wheel. Since you locked your diff it's now forcing both axles to turn at the same rate. The axle is popping out because something has to give and it's now the weak point.
You may find that the inner bearing on your outer hub is bad, and is allowing the axle to push outward far enough to pop free but if not you may need to free up the diff to allow turning.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Any particular reason that you locked your diffs? I doubt you'll be able to solve that if you keep it locked, as said above there has to be something that will give. The Traxxas drive shafts are very strong, I use them on both of my crawlers where they get a ton of torque working through binding wheels. Once you pop one the plastic part is probably stretched or even broken so you'll need to replace that part most likely.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smokey7567
My drive shaft has been poping off my rustler were it goes into the gear box and has been ever seince i locked the difs and it pops of every time i drive it and its a pain in the a$$
Sure you're not just missing the grub screw? You had to take it out to lock the diff...it goes through the outdrive and it holds the outdrive to the diff. If it's there, there's no way for the axle to come off. It's a little post with threads and it's maybe a half inch long or so at the most.

I had a Rustler with a locked diff and I never had a problem...and we beat the hell out of it with a 7-cell battery and a brushless motor.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

i would have to ask also why you locked the diff, ive had my vxl for a year now and the diff works great even on loose dirt, also never had a driveshaft prob