Wiki Posts
Search

Planet R/C Raceway closing effective immediately

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadSign
When the economy turns bad, the first thing to go is the entertainment $. It never made sense to me that Indianapolis, the "Racing capitol of the World" couldn't support an R/C track. But being the "Foreclosure Capitol of The US" doesn't help either.

Thanks for all your hard work Mike, Your a class act and Planet is a first rate facility.
Do you really think it is the economy? Or is it the fact that almost all tracks do nothing to get people involved. They do not promote the retail side of the track to the public.

Another problem is online shops.

I think those 2 factors alone cause a track to go out of business.

Planet had a great potential.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy
Do you really think it is the economy? Or is it the fact that almost all tracks do nothing to get people involved. They do not promote the retail side of the track to the public.

I agree with these points very strongly. You need a reason for people to pay extra buying from you and more so if nobody knows about your track how are they gonna know to get into it.

Another thing is when a hobby shop tells me they can order something it just really isnt logical these days. I one go to your shop order item then proceed to come back to recieve item and pay more. a consumer these days can order themselves from home and get a item cheaper and not have to make 2 trips.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Depends some on your LHS. I'm fortunate to have a great one close by, another pretty darn good one not much farther away. I get deals all the time that are better than what I hear guys bragging about online. I think there is a perception with some that online is somehow automatically superior. Undoubtably true sometimes, but not always in my experience. And my local track is definitetly better!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Our local Hobby Town is priced to compete with on line shops, has a great supply, and knowledgeable people. When you buy on line, you have little support.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Really, local hobbytown I know is priced to break your bank and the staff is 90% RETARDS but they can point to the t maxx's.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls
Really, local hobbytown I know is priced to break your bank and the staff is 90% RETARDS but they can point to the t maxx's.
I can name you more of those shops, than a good knowledgeable shop.

ANd we wonder why the racing scene is light all over.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Adam, sorry about your bad experience. You do need to choose who you talk to but, I have been very successful using the Indy Hobby Town.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Suspended

This reminds me of the time when E-town closed.
The nitro track in elizabeth town Ky aka Deano's R/C raceway.

People I knew ran there^^, but Planet was a electric only track, that looked
badass on the inside..........huge track.

I just wish I could have at least tried it before they shut down.
But after Seeing Linton's track It blew my ass away!! Awesome of the Awesome!!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Planet was not an electric only track. Check the website and you will see nitro races in the results pages.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BenEllis
ATTENTION!!!

The first round of the "Indiana State Champs Electric Offroad Series" that was schedule to take place April 11th and 12th at Planet RC Raceway has been moved to Hoosier Hobbies Raceway. The dates and times will stay the same, just the location has been moved. Due to the short notice in change of venues, entry will be cut down FOR THIS RACE ONLY to 20$ for the first entry, and 10$ for the second. See everyone there!
I'll go to this one now Ben because Stallard delayed our opening date
so we can race at Linton on the 12th again after the april 6th trophy race is over with.
I'll be doing a back to back trophy race this time.

I suppose the 12th is electric and 11th is Nitro.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Tech Rookie

-
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Rookie

bmaglinger "I'll go to this one now Ben because Stallard delayed our opening date
so we can race at Linton on the 12th again after the april 6th trophy race is over with.
I'll be doing a back to back trophy race this time.

I suppose the 12th is electric and 11th is Nitro."

I would bet Electric both days, that is why it's called the "Indiana State Champs Electric Offroad Series".

Just a guess though
Old 04-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Last edited by Dave H; 04-03-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Both dates are electric, the 11th is practice, the 12th is qualifing and mains.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dodgeguy

I'm counting in my head... Since I started racing in 1990, Central Indiana has seen at least 13 tracks with shops open and close. One thing to keep in mind is that Indiana has never been economically on par with its neighboring states- It has a much higher percentage of blue collar manufacturing jobs (many gone now), lower high school graduation rates (Indianapolis Public Schools rate is only 30%, in bottom 5 of the nations 17 largest cities), and a long tradition of inept government which kills business for the sake of tradition. Look at the foreclosure rate compared to the rest of the country and you'll see what I mean.

So bad economy, fickle racers (as Rayls mentioned), inept hobbyshops that don't / can't promote all factor in. But in this town, I'm going economy first.

Nutz: The HTU North may be helpful, and I like the guys at the south store, but they really don't know anything about non-nitro monster trucks. I make fun of the Southside because I live there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.