R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   1/8 electric (WHEN) losi or ae (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/214421-1-8-electric-when-losi-ae.html)

Gilley11 03-28-2008 10:40 AM

1/8 electric (WHEN) losi or ae

Could someone please tell me when the heck are they going to produce a 1/8 scale buggy or truggy. I'm capable enough to maintain one but not build it from scratch and Iwould really like one. Nitro's nice but electric would be better for me, any heads up would be great

artie's liver 03-28-2008 11:03 AM

the kits are really not that hard to work with, just get a RC and the kit to convert it and get rolling!

abailey21 03-28-2008 11:29 AM

Or just look for a decent used RTR roller, I found my Losi for 200.00 and I have $100 in the conversion

And I saved the cash for the power system.

Edumakated 03-28-2008 11:36 AM

I would like to see a major manufacturer release a ready made kit that has been properly tested and designed for brushless power. I don't necessarily want the electronics and motor in it, but a properly balanced buggy/truggy. I am not sure how much really needs to be done as my RC8 runs pretty good though.

The variety of the after market kits do make things relatively easy, but I think official major mfg support would push this segment of the market forward a lot faster. It would signal to others that this is the way the market is heading. Right now, we are just a side show. Major mfg support would provide much needed legitimacy.

OG RC 10T 03-28-2008 11:42 AM

You could always get the T4 rtr and buy the J82 conversion from JConcepts. That will convert your T4 into a 1/8 buggy. It is a super cool design that is taking off very quickly, in many areas.

Seriously though, if you honestly can properly maintain a buggy, the associated kits are easy to build with very easy to understand instructions. I bought my first kit back in 1992 and built the 10T that I still drive, and back then I was only 15 years old.

If I was able to do it back then, you should be able to do it now. Give your self a little more credit.:D

OG RC 10T 03-28-2008 11:44 AM

Just my .02

You could always but the RC8 rtr, sell the gas motor, do the electric conversion and you would be set. Though its a lot more expensive to do this in the long run.

If you want to save $, and dont need a 4wd, do the JConcepts conversion to the T4.

TeamPRP 03-28-2008 11:51 AM

I agree, an electric 1/8th scale buggy designed from the ground-up for electric power would be great. As long as we have the choice of kit or RTR. I hate RTR:flaming::flaming: :lol:

lutach 03-28-2008 11:58 AM

Hopefully my 2 chassis will be done soon. I'm just waiting for Mike at RC-Monster to make them.

Crawler 03-28-2008 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T (Post 4304576)
You could always get the T4 rtr and buy the J82 conversion from JConcepts. That will convert your T4 into a 1/8 buggy. It is a super cool design that is taking off very quickly, in many areas.

Seriously though, if you honestly can properly maintain a buggy, the associated kits are easy to build with very easy to understand instructions. I bought my first kit back in 1992 and built the 10T that I still drive, and back then I was only 15 years old.

If I was able to do it back then, you should be able to do it now. Give your self a little more credit.:D

I saw the J82 kit and I think I'll end up building one. I love to drive 2WD and it will be a nice addition to my 4WD RC8e.:sneaky:

Edumakated 03-28-2008 12:13 PM

The current conversion kits are really nice and aren't that hard to install. I am pretty new to the hobby and my brushless rc8 looks almost factory made with the rcproduct designs kit.

The issue is that these cars are not designed to be converted so there are little things that need to be worked out which I think only a manufacturer can do. For instance, the center diff for electric conversions probably needs to be pushed over so the car is balanced properly due to the weight of the lipo bricks. Or someone may need to engineer a new chassis similar to a 1/10 where the battery sits in the middle. It is these little things that make some conversions seem unbalanced compared to their nitro counterparts.

I am looking for a mfg to release a 1/8 electric car that is properly designed from the ground up. once this happens, i think we will see more nitro guys converting to electric and we may even have an official class.

badassrevo 03-28-2008 12:45 PM

The Losi 8ight makes the most factory looking conversion due to the fact the center diff is off set and you retain the radio box.

Gilley11 03-28-2008 03:15 PM

Alot of great ideas guys thanks. I do already own 8 & 8t nitro and have gone through alot of the conversion thread, very insiteful but all the center diff shimms and drilling out esc for fans are all just a little on the( conversion ) side of things. I'm looking more for a ground up approach. The most original one so far is by [RC8] DUAL motor no center diff battery in the center left to right and a radio tray above very trick. Iguess Iwas just wondering if any manu. was going to step up and take a swing at this or is it going to be conversions only

Dave H 03-28-2008 03:20 PM

I've heard that Schumacher is working on one. According to someone at Tekin. Nothing definitive though. Maybe after the new CAT that has been announced.

Gilley11 03-28-2008 07:24 PM

Wow that would put tekin and schumacher out front and give them some credit again. I remember back in the day when the cat was the only comp. for the rc10,the optima and 5 link losi just wouldn't do it.

chewiefttc4 03-28-2008 07:32 PM

cmon seriously.
changing clutch shoes or rebuilding shocks isnt any harder than installing a rcproductdesigns kit. its all DIRECT bolt in. no mods needed.. if your afraid or incapable to drill some holes in a esc case. and install a fan then you probably shoudlnt be in this hobby. if you can twist a wrench and install some loctite. your set. dans kits are top notch factory looking and have a great instruction manual. not that you need it to put together..

check out his site. www.rcproductdesigns.com

btw with the monster max coming out soon the conversion will be super easy. and cheaper to boot.