R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-16-2003, 10:58 PM   #1
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b
Default Buying tomorrow but still can decide...P5 or VZ-B

Well, I'm going to get a new engine for my buggy tomorrow. I've seen the VZ-B run and it looked impressive. Never seen the P5 but everyone seems to be putting it in their Mugen MBX5s (which is what I just got). My old engine was great (OS V01B) so I know at the very least I'd be very satisfied with the VZ-B. Just want to know if the P5 is really the way to go. Any ideas?!
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:56 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Rod,
go with the OS. I run the P5. It is a very good engine....linear powerband.......just go with what you are used too......since you have been using OS in 1/8 off road....go with it.

After 2.5 gallons my P5 just lost it's top end......inspected it ...nothing...evrythings okay......compression is kindda out already......will get it pinched.

Right now I am runnin the OFNA Hyper 8 RACE.......keeping up with the OSs,RBs, out there.....well, the engine is still new though.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Hi Tambok. Thank's for the info. Let me know if you ever find out about the interchangeable headers for the OS pipe. I can't track that thing down anywhere. Thanks again.

Rod
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

P5

P5

P5

no way an OS engine can outlast a novarossi

i had a v01b and had nothing but horrible problems with it

now i run P5 and its the best engine i have ever had and ive had quite a few

the p5 i have is great i havent had it for a really long time yet but it has over a gallon through it now and the compression is great the OS had so little compression at this point i thought it was dead

my v01b would get 5-5 1/2 minutes run time on its best day

my p5 gets 7-8 minutes run time has more power and i trust it

i recommend the rx 21 p5 the one with the purple engine head thats the one i have and i have a friend who has the blue and the purple he says the purple is noticably faster
Old 07-17-2003, 09:38 PM   #5
Tech Elite

hmmm.....I got the blue head REX P5....I bought it 'coz during that time the Nova purple head wasn't out yet......

geeeesh....just like buying the Kanai 2 after a few months the X5 came out.

People with the blue head P5 (REX) had o-rings and bearing problems.....go figure.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
Tech Elite

only time will tell but like ive said i have alot of trust in novarossi i beat the crap out of mt-12 engines and never had a failure

the first year i raced nitro i had a mtx2 with mt-12 and since i didnt know how to tune an engine it repeatedly got over 300 degrees sometimes as hot as 350 never had any problems except if it stalled it wouldnt restart unitll it cooled

i dont know exactly what the difference is between the blue rex and the purple p5 except the engine block on the purple head engine is huge and has alot of webbing

i havent ever looked inside of it so i have no idea what they have done

i can tell you it has always run great has killer bottom end usually runs around 230-250 gets great mileage and lauches my buggy farther than any other car at my local track

there is a big triple on our track the beginning of the year there were only 2 guys going for it after i got the p5 i was almost forced to triple it because to double single i must coast all the way up to the face of the jump then give it a little throttle to triple it corectly i use somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and if i use full throttle i can nearly jump clear past the jump and the turn after all the way into another part of the track about 30ft
Old 07-18-2003, 10:18 PM   #7
Tech Elite

In my 5 years of racing on road, I have been running Novarossis and RBs......Novarossis are the best in my opinion...easy to tune, user friendly.....that is precisely why I bought the REX P5 since it's also a Nova engine.
I've had experienced with good experience with OS engines in the early '90s when I was still racing off road 1/10.......reliable and easy to tune.
But in this case, I will stay away from this pariticular engine......no more blue head P5 for me.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:38 PM   #8
Tech Elite

maybe it was because it was a rex engine?

who knows

i will let you know if i have any problems with my p5 so far its only a couple months old
Old 07-26-2003, 04:32 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 07:39 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was gonna get a p5 but after learning of all the racers that had problems with theirs bcause of the engine rear bearing I decided against it. I got the vzb. Doing the break-in right now. Track time will tell how good it is.
eltorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 10:22 AM   #11
Tech Elite

my complaints with the v01b were the fuel mileage sucked bad and it was unreliable

i could never get more than 5 or 5 1/2 minutes from a tank and often the temp was 250 or more so i got a hardcore head for it to cool it down so i could get some more time but it didnt make any difference i still couldnt get more than 6 minutes without running overly lean

and it blew up twice the first time it blew i started it with the same settings as the day before put it on the ground and drove it aprox 15ft and it had blown the rod the second time is much the same story i was racing and when the mains started i made it about 1/2 down the straight on the start and it broke the crank

OS warrantied it for me both times but i didnt want to looose anymore racing time so i got another engine

it was just a lemon from the start i remember it was so hard to turn over new i killed my starter box battery twice before i got it started the first time and that was after i removed the engine from the car put oil in it removed plug and turned it over with a 18v drill for a few minutes