Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default need some help

i race stock truck and just started useing a peak hellfire motor and it run's super hot. so hot i cant even touch it. i normaly race with a orion core (it the same motor right? just diffrent lable?) and they were never this hot. i race at socal and i cant seem to make the pace with this motor, it seems like it gets realy soft on me at the 2 to 3 min mark. i know its not the batts because i used like 4 diffrent packs and still the same problem. im geared at 88(green) with a 19 pinion. any suggestions.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

try an 18 pinion.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

Old 07-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

losi jon-tried that with the same result actualy thats were i started.

if your motors getting hot you go up a pinion right?
Old 07-15-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Rookie

I suppose you run a XXX-T, if so, and if 17 is hot and 18 is as well then run at 19 or 20 if big track. If tight track then go down a bit. I run XXX-KE and 20 works well with hellfire.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:20 PM
Tech Regular

yeh i race a xxxt, ill try a 20 tooth pinion but i bought another hellfire motor so ill give it another try, maby i just got a bum motor?
Old 07-16-2003, 09:32 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Have you checked and readjusted your differential and slipper yet? You may need to do that if the HellFire is turning out a little more torque than normal.

Also, I assume you have also looked at the gear meshing and insured that you are not too tight or too loose, correct?

Those are just some of the things I check before messing around with anything else.

For stock, large tracks, a 18T to 19T pinion should run just fine with an 88 spur. For stock, small tracks, 17T to 18T pinions should run fine in the same setup.

Something else - are you using any Comm Drops? If so, what brand and how often are you putting some on?

Check some of those things and let us know what you come up with!

PD2
Old 07-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Tech Regular

my truck is fine, gear mesh, diff and slipper are all fine.

i dont use com drops

i think like i said before its just my motor. i already bought a new one ( lhs only had the hellfires but it has better numbers than the old motor.)
Old 07-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Those motors run hot for a lot of people, if your battery is getting soft at only 2-3 minutes you could be overgeared, the charger might not be charging correctly whether it's preset numbers or you just don't have it set right. If you have 3300's charge them at 5.0amps, .05/50mv (50mv total for pack)cutoff, Sanyo HV's 7.0amps, .06/60mv (60mv total for pack)cutoff. There should be a good amount of Peak/Orion drivers at SoCal or around there, ask them if they can look at your motor, maybe there is something wrong with it.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

i know its not the batts because i ran my tc3 with its monster h.p. and it ran fine, i actualy have 3000hv's that still give me good numbers and i charge them at 6.0 amps but i dont know what the cut off is right now but the pack comes off the charger slightly warm. i havent asked any peak/orion drivers yet probly when i go to the track today, but ill try my new motor today.

thanks for all the help.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

went to the track and found out that i had a bum motor, my friend tried it in his truck and the same results, at about the same time i would lose power, he would too.

thanks for everyones help