R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default A Little Help Please!

Ok....

I'm a very experienced racer (16yrs). I'm looking to get back into driving a 4WD electric. I have much experience from running XX-4's years ago. I have been checking all these threads about the newer 4WD cars....BJ4, B44, Tamiya, Schumacher, Yokomo etc but I do feel some input from those driving those cars today will help.

All these cars seem to have their good and bad points. Now, if you all that drive these cars could give me some input on them it will help me make a decision I'm sure. I race on pretty rough tracks, slippery sometimes and usually sand/clay based using step pin tires mostly.

I'm looking for durability, maintanence, driving characteristics (smooth or punched style), ease of parts availability (I'm pretty well mail order).

I'm also looking at maybe brushless and lipos but really don't know much about them at all so any input on that would help too.

thanks....
7.5man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5man View Post
Ok....

I'm a very experienced racer (16yrs). I'm looking to get back into driving a 4WD electric. I have much experience from running XX-4's years ago. I have been checking all these threads about the newer 4WD cars....BJ4, B44, Tamiya, Schumacher, Yokomo etc but I do feel some input from those driving those cars today will help.

All these cars seem to have their good and bad points. Now, if you all that drive these cars could give me some input on them it will help me make a decision I'm sure. I race on pretty rough tracks, slippery sometimes and usually sand/clay based using step pin tires mostly.

I'm looking for durability, maintanence, driving characteristics (smooth or punched style), ease of parts availability (I'm pretty well mail order).

I'm also looking at maybe brushless and lipos but really don't know much about them at all so any input on that would help too.

thanks....
All the cars you mention will rock and win races in the right hands.

If you don't mind blending in with the crowd get the B44, associated has probably sold as many b44s as all the others combined, which equals tons of parts and support + it is a very good car.

If you want to be different, choose your style and pick one.
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

i will have to agree with stallard, the parts supply is excellent for the b44. not only that but it is a pretty good buggy. with the right driver and right setup, i have seen this monster come alive. welcome back and enjoy it.

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

They basically said what I was going to.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If durability, construction and sharp handling is important I would look at the Tamiya 501x but you will spend more money on the car and on parts and you would have to order all your spares before hand unless your track carries Tamiya stuff. Its one of the smoothest driving cars I have ever driven. Awesome turn in and steering. Found no need for a one way even on a very tight track.

If you want to stay in the B44 price range ($300-$350) check out the Kyosho Zx5 sp. Its a better handling car for certain tracks than the B44. Also you can use stick packs--which means the better Lipos which is important to some people. I am not too sure on parts support right now.

Losi XXX4 is still good imo. Not too pricey either. Also a smooth car. You will have to beef it up in some areas and it really runs better with the one-way but it can still hang with anything. On our track they either win or top 2 every weekend. Awesome driver driving it but it is a capable car.

B44 of course is good but I wouldn't automatically jump to it--there are some other great alternatives.

Bj4 we is good too but its quite a bit pricier than the b44 and is a little different. Very durable though--more so than the B44.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I love the ZX5 SP, to me it is the best car in the class as long as you are able to get parts for it. My local track fully supports the car, so parts needed for a rebuild are never had to come by.

The car has proved to be very durable and a very capable performer that can run with any car on the market. The fact that is accepts stick packs makes running Lipos a breeze.

I also have a Yokomo MR-4BX Factory. This is a very good car also, but not recommended for very dusty tracks. The open drive train means a lot more maintenance and the kit is much more expensive up front. Parts support is also an issue at most tracks.

This car is also very durable, almost indestructable and performs very well with the right setup. It is also pretty to look at as it is almost entirly carbon fiber and blue aluminum.

For the money, get the ZX5, you will not be disappointed with it. The box stock setup is close to perfect for most tracks. Maintenance is a breeze and it is super easy to drive.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i have the BJ4 and love it, but have driven the yoko and loved it as well, easy to drive and drive fast. I HAD(hint hint) the kyosho ZX5 but didnt like it much.
hyperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Tech Master

Well guys:

I really appreciate all of your input. It has/did help.

I purchased a 4WD today from a racer. It was a 2nd hand excellent condition BJ4WE. I thought the deal was excellent.... car, car extra parts, 2 battery (racing) packs, 2 servos, 8 sets of tires(2 new), NIP body, 19T motor for under $275.00 delivered from the USA to Canada.

See you all in the BJ4 thread....

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Congrats! And I think you got the best possible option. Not only did you get the most successful of the bunch, you also got one already sorted out. I assume anyway.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallard View Post
All the cars you mention will rock and win races in the right hands.

If you don't mind blending in with the crowd get the B44, associated has probably sold as many b44s as all the others combined, which equals tons of parts and support + it is a very good car.

If you want to be different, choose your style and pick one.
Couldnt have said it any better myself, I'd be surprised if the B44 wins
the worlds next year 2009.

Is a B55 even possible...not for another 5 years I hope.
Associated B44/Tamiya 501x WE
Off-road only!
bmaglinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #11
Tech Master

good choice on the car!!!! and a killer deal as well
Old 03-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Great deal on the buggy!!!

You will like it
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Tech Master

Thanks Guys:

NOW, that the car is out of the equation, what about Lipo saddle packs, lipo chargers, and BL systems, and whatever else is needed for this technology.

Pretend you are talking to a Newb please....I am with this stuff!

thanks....
Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Tech Master

maxamps has came out with a new 4000 milliamp saddle pack that rocks, and as for a brushless system i would go with either the novak gtb or the lrp sphere comp or lrp comp tc (built in fan) i run the gtb/black fan with a 5.5