Wiki Posts
Search

Losi XXT Slipper Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default Losi XXT Slipper Conversion

I am resurrecting my Losi XXT from a 13 or more year hiatus and would like to change the complicated Hydra-Drive unit to the simpler slipper unit. There are instructions on the parts to use in the manual, but since the manual was printed in 1994, all the Losi part numbers have changed and correspond to different items now.

Does anyone know of an alternate way to convert to the slipper clutch, or of a way to track down the old parts (other than ebay, which I am currently scouring)?

Also - I know that the Duratrax Evader ST has some parts interchangeability with the XXT - I am currently running the aluminum threaded shocks and springs on the XXT for easier tuning (and better parts availability). Do any of the parts from the XXXT interchange (namely wheels, spur gears, transmissions, etc)? I appreciate any information anyone has stumbled across, as this seems to be one of the few RC forums on the net that isn't completely populated by 12 year olds.

I will hopefully be racing this bad boy on the local off-road track once it's finished being built, so the more parts I can easily find in case something breaks, the better. I've already stocked up on shock towers, arms, etc. I know I could get a new truck with parts still being made, but this is just fun, at least for now!
Old 03-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Use your current backplate, purchase a new double slipper pad spur, slipper pads, and the XXXT front plate/spring. Current Losi truck wheels fit front/rear, no issues. Spurs are good across the trucks, but tranny internals will be the hard part for you to find. I am unsure if the Duratrax tranny internals work.

You will be fine. Have fun, I havent driven a truck as well as I used to drive my XXT-CR.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Good answer. He is correct on everything. I know the servo mounting in the Duratrax is different. I have used Duratrax arms, front shock tower,and rear shock tower on XXT. The slipper on the Duratrax is more like an Associated than a Losi but i don't know about the internals. The XXT had the 2.61 internal ratio and was a different tranny than the XXXT or XXXT MF2
Old 03-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jk racing
Use your current backplate, purchase a new double slipper pad spur, slipper pads, and the XXXT front plate/spring. Current Losi truck wheels fit front/rear, no issues. Spurs are good across the trucks, but tranny internals will be the hard part for you to find. I am unsure if the Duratrax tranny internals work.

You will be fine. Have fun, I havent driven a truck as well as I used to drive my XXT-CR.
jk racing - Just to be clear about what you typed above, are the double slipper pad spur gear and slipper pads XXT or XXXT parts? I read that as XXXT, but wanted to double check.

Also, I've found that ebay and Losipartshouse.com have a good amount of internal transmission parts in stock, so I'm not too worried about that. The gears inside my transmission (including the diff) look brand new still too, so they have some life left inside of them. Thanks for the help - that's easier than I thought it would be!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

yes, XXX buggy/truck parts.

I should check LosiPartsHouse to see if they have anything for my Pro SE...