R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default brushed mods vs brushless mods

hey all: What type of racing on road 1/10th touring and 12th pan car or off road 1/10th buggy and truck do brushless mod motors seem to have the bigger advantage over brushed mod motors? finally i read a post were rick howard said something to the effect "untill brushless motors become cost effective there will always be a place for brushed motors in the rc market". Thanks for the info
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would say on-road for sure. Being able to use a variety of gears to get them right. Off-road cars are limited for gearing in the 13.5-17.5 motors. Cost effective, a checkpoint mod is $70, a novak or lrp brushless is $75. A stock motor costs $35 or so. If you only race 25 times a year, one set of brushes per race thats $75, and I hope you already have the lathe. Most 13.5/17.5 brushless motors cost around $75. It seems to me it already is cost effective.

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I won't even used brushed anymore. consistancy and runtime own with brushless. There are also a bunch of small advantages to brushless .... you can get of the pipe easy cause the car rolls backwards. doesnt genrate heat, combine it with a lipo battery and your car will feel exactly the same run after run.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only time I think a brushed motor has an advantage is in offroad Stock Buggy- under certain circumstances (tight course, lots of turns). I (along with some other experienced fellow racers) have experienced more 'balanced' handling with the brushed stock motor because it does not have to be geared to the moon (consequently pushing the motor waaay back). As far as brushless needing to be more cost effective, that is insane- you can run a brushless motor till your fingers bleed and it will keep going. A mod motor requires constant maintenance and in all reality, they are only about 20 bucks cheaper than a bl motor.

Hot Bodies Racing www.hotbodiesonline.com
Tekin www.teamtekin.com
Team Checkpoint
ms3 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Ms3 Chris is right. The tall gearing required in an off road buggy with brushless pushes the weight too far back and handling becomes a problem. However my X 6 has a mid mount motor position and it creates no problem at all. Brushelss and Lipo will be all I run starting this summer. I switched to Lipo for winter carpet oval and brushless will be in this summer and then used next winter.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brushless have an advantage in every class--unless I am missing something? In my experience it seems brushless has alot more low end torque which lets the car squirt from corner to corner with more punch--but the top end is still there as well. I don't really run brushed motors to speak of any more either. Brushed is going the way of the do-do if they haven't already.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What's a Brushed Motor? Is that when you use a brush to clean the dirt off around the motor? Never heard of it.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
.... you can get of the pipe easy cause the car rolls backwards...
+1 on that little benefit!
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolio View Post
+1 on that little benefit!
yea too many little benfits to list, brushed is like a motorola star tac compared to a iphone.... or a 86 tercel to a toyota prius or a light bulb to a led ie: you get the picture....

6 months ago there would be a million arguments in this thread,
Old 03-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms3 Chris View Post
The only time I think a brushed motor has an advantage is in offroad Stock Buggy- under certain circumstances (tight course, lots of turns). I (along with some other experienced fellow racers) have experienced more 'balanced' handling with the brushed stock motor because it does not have to be geared to the moon (consequently pushing the motor waaay back). As far as brushless needing to be more cost effective, that is insane- you can run a brushless motor till your fingers bleed and it will keep going. A mod motor requires constant maintenance and in all reality, they are only about 20 bucks cheaper than a bl motor.
completely agree with chris, couldn't of said it better

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Last season I raced my T4 6 times (3 regional races+ 1 national+ 2 club) and ran about 30 packs through it practicing. I cut the comm on my Orion OJ Revolution 12x1 one time and never changed the brushes. Not exactally a lot of maintenance.The motor was great all season. I prefer the feeling of the brushed motor over my old GTB, I also like the fact it never overheats, and the wiring is way cleaner with brushed.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

***********IMPORTANT NOTE************
When RICK says cost effective guys he also means having to go buy a $200.00 brushless esc. That is unless you guys know of a BRUSHED esc running brushless motor's that I have NEVER heard of. You guys missed that COMMON sense part of the explinaton didnt you. Hummmm. lol.

In onroad-I cant see why you would run brushed unless you cant tune your Brushless to get the drag you may want or the feel you may want.
Maintance in onroad is a PAIN for Brushed motor's. Changing brushes every 2-5 runs if they make it that long.
Stock Sedan I could make 6-10 runs on a good set of F's.
Sedan is VERY hard on motor's.

In Offroad-
Mod- I actually still prefer BRUSHED mod over Brushless. I like the way it feels and heat is NEVER a issue with my mods in 5-8 minute racing.
The Orion's and Checkpoints are VERY cost effective and here is my maintance on these motor's.
Orion's -I clean after about every 10 runs. I dont cut them till 15-20 runs and usually dont replace brushes till 30-40 runs. Most of the time I can CUT them and use the same brush for 30-40 runs easy.
Checkpoints--Same way. Im getting 30-40 runs out of these motor's before doing brushes. I cut every 15-20 runs.

Stock-The Stock Brushed Compared to a 17.5 is actually pretty close.
In offroad I could use the same brushes for 2-3 weekends EASY.
*********OFFROAD********** isnt anywhere NEAR as hard on motor's as Sedan is...

In 1/12th scale- This is funny. Superlight car with no true drag. Brushed is just as good as brushless in MOST occasions.

I do LIKE the idea of less wires,less bulk and NO shutdowns.lol.
TexRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Brushless is the future of rc. Just give it time and brushed will be a thing of the past. Bruched motors are great but the benefits of brushless out weigh the cheapness of the brushed motors.

Sure brushless is a more expensive right now, but it will come down over time, just like the LCD televisions and digital cameras.