R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   b4/t4..alum u-brace (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/212888-b4-t4-alum-u-brace.html)

miket3 03-19-2008 08:00 AM

b4/t4..alum u-brace

After racing again this weekend I had issues with snapping off a rear ball stud. The one inside the U-brace. . I was wondering if anyone sold a alum one ( like a team version) and maybe buying some HD longer titanium ball studs .

Any one suggest a part# or place to get these?

thanks
Mike

SpeedyDad 03-19-2008 08:03 AM

In my opinion, its not worth it. If you break a ballstud in a plastic one, its just a few dollars. If you break a ballstud in an aluminum one, then you are out much more money. Buying titanium ballstuds won't keep them from breaking.

071crazy 03-19-2008 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyDad (Post 4275791)
In my opinion, its not worth it. If you break a ballstud in a plastic one, its just a few dollars. If you break a ballstud in an aluminum one, then you are out much more money. Buying titanium ballstuds won't keep them from breaking.

Agreed. Besides, the ballstud will snap even easier in the aluminum brace. The plastic has a small amount of give.

RCHR 03-19-2008 08:38 AM

lots of racers Dremel or file the plastic U-brace shorter on the bottom, then use a long thread ball stud with a nut. When the ball stud breaks, simply un-thread the remaining piece from the bottom.

mafiaracers 03-19-2008 08:48 AM

go with the plastic one, NON FT u-brace, it will make the car handle better

miket3 03-19-2008 08:52 AM

that sounds good. thanks.

miket3 03-19-2008 03:26 PM

Do most of you guys run the trinity bomb foams ( blue) in the TRK and buggy's ?

i can't seem to find a part # for them.

thanks for the help.

ray3619 03-19-2008 04:00 PM

trinity bomb 1 , there grey , or jconcepts , there the same , ray

miket3 03-19-2008 06:05 PM

trinity bomb 1

thanks ray,

my LHS is clueless . They seem to come up with alot of discontinued stuff when they try and look them up. Can you possibly give me a part # or direct me to an online site where i might be able to get them?

Also i have always just run the foams that come with the tires..what's the advantage to using the bomb 1 foams ?

sorry for so many questions and thank you for your guys help. i really appreciate it

Mike

ms3 Chris 03-19-2008 06:15 PM

MikeT3,
(this is regarding breaking off the rear ballstud)- I suggest getting longer titanium ballstuds. After a full year of almost weekly racing, I have not broken any. They may cost a little more, but they are very strong.
As for the Bomb 1, the one you want (most likely) is the old bomb1 grey or new bomb 1 white (it should not feel super stiff). Trinity changed their foam color which has messed up a lot of hobby shops, because I have noticed numerous places w/ a ton of the 'new' grey foams that are ultra stiff. The Bomb1 foam will hold up better than the stock foams and will also be better for most racing conditions. What kind of surface are you running on?

miket3 03-19-2008 06:38 PM

071crazy sent me a part #..thanks.

ms3chris..my winter racing is Leisure hours raceway..I'm guessing it at med to high grip clay (concrete like) and in the summer were on a clay/sand mix...with decent traction when wet and slippery as heck when it dries out.

we have been running either a Losi or Ifmar stud out there with a little luck.

thanks guys.

carbon madness 03-22-2008 09:02 PM

Mike the Bomb 1's work best on the wet high grip clay (like at LHR early in the day), but the stock foams (losi) work better once the track drys out a little bit. I have have ran both foams, and I have found that the stock losi foams work better. For the outdoor track do not use the bomb 1's as they are way to firm for that surface, as the bomb 1's work better where you would want the foam to support the tire (places that are of very high grip, "sticky" dirt that is hard packed). ;)