R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Arrow Crt.5 CC7700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
I got told that the Mambas motors are to fast for this and will overheat easy as you can't get the proper gearing for it. What motors do most people run?
If you haven't already seen it, here's a link to a thread that you may find to be interesting or helpful.-

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...76#post3545976
don74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I didnt see that tread before thank you
eric l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to jaejw1

what motor are ppl using with a 2s lipo... and using the car for racing and not bashing..
jaejw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I think the Mamba ESC is awesome for this car. I used it in my 1:8 scale conversion, so this isn't even the strain that is.

I actually use a Traxxas Velinion 3500kv motor right now (got it free). For my track it is awesome on the bottom end, but there are a few spots I want more juice and top end. I'm thinking of going Mamba 7700 motor, but wonder about the lack of bottom end. I used to have a Novak 6.5 in this, and it was pretty dang fast (for racing, not speed crazed wheelie bashers).

Side note: if you are running the smaller chassis the car is nose heavy. I run 50wt and the white (stiffest) springs in front, blues in back. My car is pretty dialed for track!!

Also, the Kyosho 46 Plastic spur is the only way to go if you want a quiet mesh!!
markhat250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #20
Tech Regular

ok the medusa 4800 kv motor still seems good, but I want to get it moving faster

I have it geared 14t pinion on the stock spur currently running 2s

temps on the ESC are more of an issue than the motor (MM esc)

I'm going to either go up to a 16t pinion and stay on 2s,

or go down to a 10t pinion and use 3s

on 3s the motor should be spinning around 50k, and these medusa's are supposed to be rated for 60k, so I would imagine 3s would be the better way to go rather than just putting on the higher tooth pinion and staying on 2s

although I am a bit concerned with ESC heat running on 3s even with the fan

I may have to try both ways, but would surely listen to any advice on this
artie's liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

You could always add on a cap to your esc to help with the cooling. Like this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKKN3&P=7
all you have to do is solder it across the battery leads, close to the board. It will help with the amp spikes. Lot of other caps will work, I just linked a popular one. You can also go to any radio shack, and they will have a good selection of 25v caps. A few smaller ones wired in parallel will work better than a single large cap.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

i use a novak HV with a 6.5 motor 5mm shaft, mod 1 pinion 13tooth and i do have overheating when it is very hot outside. i run a trakpower 3S lipo. other then the rare overheating, its a little monster and i love it. i may try to use a 12 tooth pinion and see how the overheating is affected.

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Team Driver for: Proline, Team Epic/Trinity, Hex Crew, Bulldawg R/C, Speed Demon Hobbies ~~~~TEAM CRUNCHY~~~~
Bulldawg RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #23
Tech Elite

double post
Old 05-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Well...my Mamba 6900 is getting pipping hot. The 5700 already died. I had a Traxxas Velinion motor that got managably hot, but it just didn't have the juice. The problem is not the Mamba ESC cuz that thing is a tank. I am starting to think the Mamba motors are hot and can't hang.

So...I'm motor shopping for my eCRT.5 again. I saw a Fiego 7L in a guys on ebay, but know nothing about it. I know all about Neu motors, but I'm not spending that kind of money.

Any suggestions on a new motor for me? I'm thinking the 540 cans arn't the play, unless someone has a great suggestion. Thanks!!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
Well...my Mamba 6900 is getting pipping hot. The 5700 already died. I had a Traxxas Velinion motor that got managably hot, but it just didn't have the juice. The problem is not the Mamba ESC cuz that thing is a tank. I am starting to think the Mamba motors are hot and can't hang.

So...I'm motor shopping for my eCRT.5 again. I saw a Fiego 7L in a guys on ebay, but know nothing about it. I know all about Neu motors, but I'm not spending that kind of money.

Any suggestions on a new motor for me? I'm thinking the 540 cans arn't the play, unless someone has a great suggestion. Thanks!!

Go to Impakt-rc.com they have the Fiego L and xl also checkout the Medusa and the Neu 1506 or the 1509.Click on the Medusa motors and it will take you to the item description where there is a link to the Medusa site that enables you to order from the Medusa web store.I personaly have the 1512/1.5d in my CRT.5.It runs cool because it way overpowered I have a Quark 80B now but also have a MM that I use also.
phatmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #26
Tech Elite

That Neu motor you are running is like putting in an LS1 Corvette engine in a Honda Civic. Yes....you are over-powered!! I'm sure you are running cool, but jeez, that is a HEAVY motor for a CRT.5 man!! If it works, cool.

I don't want to spend that kind of cash though. The Fiego I know is cheaper, but I know nothing about them. The Medusa, same thing. Thanks for the link to rc-monster.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #27
Tech Regular

I've used the 9L and the medusa 4800 kv motors

and I think the medusa is a much better motor

I haven't quite figured out what gearing works best on it yet, or 2s vs 3s but it seems to be faster and lighter than the 9L and runs slightly cooler in my rig
artie's liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Bumping an old thread here.. picked up a roller on the cheap today and shopping for an esc/motor. The guy I bought it from was using a sidewinder 4600 combo, and his buddy had the sidewinder 5700 combo, and I'm really looking between those two. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money so no Fiego or Neu please

I will be racing it with 2s lipos, and mainly worried about heat issues. Probably going to want to get 15 minutes for longer mains so I need to be able to keep it cool. It did come with a motor heatsink/fan and an esc fan ready to mount so that should help.
Miller_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Arrow Read & Evaluate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_Time View Post
Bumping an old thread here.. picked up a roller on the cheap today and shopping for an esc/motor. The guy I bought it from was using a sidewinder 4600 combo, and his buddy had the sidewinder 5700 combo, and I'm really looking between those two. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money so no Fiego or Neu please

I will be racing it with 2s lipos, and mainly worried about heat issues. Probably going to want to get 15 minutes for longer mains so I need to be able to keep it cool. It did come with a motor heatsink/fan and an esc fan ready to mount so that should help.
A 2S on a Sidewinder/5700 combo on a .5 will have heat issues as you will be forced to use bigger pinions trying to achieve near decent racing speeds. The Sidewinder ESC is inadequate for use in heavy .5's. A 100 amp rated ESC like the MambaMax is far more suitable for such purposes and the minimum Kv motor I would even dare recommend for 2S use on a .5 would be the 6900Kv motor.

At the bottom is a link to threads on nitro28's MambaMax/7700kv motor combo although I would suggest a 12T or even an 11T pinion for cooler motor running rather than the 14T pinion nitro28 was using. Don't worry about torque as there will be more than anyone needs such that one may have to dial out the "punch" on the MambaMax ESC to prevent wheelspin. Also, it is my understanding that gearbox ratios of nitro vehicles are designed to compensate for the slower and relatively lower torque developed by nitro engines as against brushless motors of similar applications. It is likely that the high rpm 7700kv BL motor on 6 cells developes faster and as much(if not more) torque as a good .12 engine.

Note that nitro28 claims about 45mph top speed/15 minutes on 14T pinion with 6 cells so it would be reasonable to estimate 37+mph top speed/15+minutes on 12T pinion with 2S due to the lighter weight and slightly higher voltage of Lipos. Fans on the motor and the ESC will surely help the system run cooler.

Currently the MambaMax/7700 combo is only $190 shipped at B-p-p.com
Any other reasonably priced if possible alternative like the Novak HV Maxx 4.5(or 5.5) System or the MambaMonsterMax/2600 Combo is at least $75 more.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...76#post3545976
don74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm running a Speed Passion GT (timing advance set in the middle), Novak 6.5, 15 tooth pinion and 2s lipo. I've strapped on the GPS and 'clocked' the .5 at 36.9 mph. Heat isn't bad, but I have a heatsink and fan on the 6.5. On a more open track, I can run all 3 of my lipo packs back to back to back without worrying heat issues. If I were to move to a tighter track, I'd drop the gearing down a tooth or two.
GravityJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote