R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
Don't get either. Spend your money on some dictionaries and grammar work books.
its sad that u really have to trash our I-speech because we/I use terms like; lol, rofl, u, ect!

thanks for the bump bro
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I don't know what "I-speak" is, but you certainly can't speak english.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQC049 View Post
I don't know what "I-speak" is, but you certainly can't speak english.
omg im not in the mood for this right now, losers like you should just go away and not waste their time on somebody like me who just wants help on what they should get
Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #19
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

In my opinion neither one is the ticket to winning. Driving rules, followed by tires and then basic setup are what does it at a club level. The difference in weight between graphite and regular parts is not all that significant IMO. Both have their advantages in crashes, depends on the type of hit. But if you are a clean driver like you say, no problem.

As far as the speed control, why spend money on an essentially obsolete brushed speed control? If you must, get a GTB or other brand sensored brushless. Most will still power a brushed motor, GTB for sure, then you can switch to brushless motors whenever you want without starting over.

But to start with, check your current speed control after a run. Is it warm? If it's not very warm, or only slightly, it's not holding you back much. If it was limiting power, reducing voltage between the motor and battery, it would have to be heating up, that's where the lost energy goes. The one that comes with the Losi RTR is a fairly good speedo, especially for a stock motor.

My vote is for a lipo battery, along with an inexpensive lipo charger, and some free lipo research right here. The lighter weight of the lipo will bring you close to the legal minimum weight. And especially for stock this IMO will help far more than either of the above. And give you more practice time to work on what really counts, driving the wheels off!

In any event, Good Luck!
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

well you ask , practicing 1 or 2 times a week will do more than hop-ups , ray
ray3619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
In my opinion neither one is the ticket to winning. Driving rules, followed by tires and then basic setup are what does it at a club level. The difference in weight between graphite and regular parts is not all that significant IMO. Both have their advantages in crashes, depends on the type of hit. But if you are a clean driver like you say, no problem.

As far as the speed control, why spend money on an essentially obsolete brushed speed control? If you must, get a GTB or other brand sensored brushless. Most will still power a brushed motor, GTB for sure, then you can switch to brushless motors whenever you want without starting over.

But to start with, check your current speed control after a run. Is it warm? If it's not very warm, or only slightly, it's not holding you back much. If it was limiting power, reducing voltage between the motor and battery, it would have to be heating up, that's where the lost energy goes. The one that comes with the Losi RTR is a fairly good speedo, especially for a stock motor.

My vote is for a lipo battery, along with an inexpensive lipo charger, and some free lipo research right here. The lighter weight of the lipo will bring you close to the legal minimum weight. And especially for stock this IMO will help far more than either of the above. And give you more practice time to work on what really counts, driving the wheels off!

In any event, Good Luck!
thanks so much this helps a lot. my esc is not too warm off a smc 3300 from my best laps. thanks again
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by not home View Post
thanks so much this helps a lot. my esc is not too warm off a smc 3300 from my best laps. thanks again
3300??? First get some newer batteries. Lipo if you can afford it, and your track allows it in your class.

The other thing is tires. It depends on your track, but I have had new guys ask for help and when I pick up their truck/buggy they have the worst tires. Dead foam, wrong tread, wrong compound. Getting the tires right will help more than anything else.
Hammer Racing
Bike racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by not home View Post
omg im not in the mood for this right now, losers like you should just go away and not waste their time on somebody like me who just wants help on what they should get

HMM... Graphite plastic or novak brushed gtx........ hich one will make me get more air ?????

you sound like a little kid...... Sqc049 is only a,loser when he runs his b4........HA
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Graphite cuz a novak GTX will just end up blowing up.
electric rcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric rcs View Post

No?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric rcs View Post
No.
AaronR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Question

If you are worried about getting air, you are missing the point. Air doesn't help in racing. As others have suggested, practice first, learn how to set up the truck, practice more, get tires that work for the track, practice more.

As far as GTX I have four and have never had a failure. They are available at low prices on the forums as many are switching to brushless. You will always get many opinions on what ESC is best.

Graphite will break and plastic will give. Graphite is also prone to causing glitching if your batteries have a break in the shrink wrap. Many pro drives use plastic chassis for flex.

By the way did I mention that practice will help.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

nah, who cares about practice? The guy wants to spend money and contribute to the economy. Bravo!!
stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike racer View Post
3300??? First get some newer batteries. Lipo if you can afford it, and your track allows it in your class.

The other thing is tires. It depends on your track, but I have had new guys ask for help and when I pick up their truck/buggy they have the worst tires. Dead foam, wrong tread, wrong compound. Getting the tires right will help more than anything else.
i do, they are weeks old so the arent used much yet

thats why i listed my tires, pink=clay track
Old 03-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw View Post
If you are worried about getting air, you are missing the point. Air doesn't help in racing. As others have suggested, practice first, learn how to set up the truck, practice more, get tires that work for the track, practice more.

As far as GTX I have four and have never had a failure. They are available at low prices on the forums as many are switching to brushless. You will always get many opinions on what ESC is best.

Graphite will break and plastic will give. Graphite is also prone to causing glitching if your batteries have a break in the shrink wrap. Many pro drives use plastic chassis for flex.

By the way did I mention that practice will help.
at my track, getting air is needed so you can do this tripple where you'll get such a boost and this pit you need to jump that will also get you far ahead of the pack if your bunched up