Wiki Posts
Search

Best LiPo Lithium Polymer packs ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Cause mrc chargers suck...... and lipos are sensitive to damage.
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Look, I know lots of people who use MRC chargers and "love" them.

I'm not one of them! I have owned two MRC chargers and they both sucked! One just quit working, the other didn't shut down and popped a cell on one of my crawlers batteries. I will never own another MRC charger.

I'll stick w/ my Hyperion.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Speedracer19
Here is what i have been told about the discharge rate on a lipo charger, why would you want to discharge it? Because the lipo's do not need to be cycled there is no reason to have a "High" discharge rate. Most lipo only chargers also charge at a slope rate meaning that you start off at a high amp rate & end at a very low amp rate, kind of like the old dial timer chargers.
yes i know lipos dont need to be cycled but im still using nimh batts
Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Crawler
DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Look, I know lots of people who use MRC chargers and "love" them.

I'm not one of them! I have owned two MRC chargers and they both sucked! One just quit working, the other didn't shut down and popped a cell on one of my crawlers batteries. I will never own another MRC charger.

I'll stick w/ my Hyperion.
thanks bout the honest comment now im thinking twice bout
getting the mrc charger
Old 03-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (99%+)

i have gotten great feedback from my customers with the hyperion chargers and the price is right. great product!

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Old 03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Speedracer19
why would you want to discharge it? Because the lipo's do not need to be cycled there is no reason to have a "High" discharge rate.
This is correct, but if I may some additional info: You want to avoid discharging the last 20%, cycling will actually hurt the performance of a lipo. But for best practice, they do recommend that lipos be stored at about 50-80%, 3.8 volts per cell is generally recommended. Usually a typical main leaves it in the general range. But lets say ya get hacked early on, or you have an extra charged one just in case. Then discharging to that 50% level is good thing. Of course were talking after the races are over, so a slow discharge will work..but a mildly fast discharge won't hurt, and will speed up the process, so you can get ready for the Simpsons in time.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i purchased the Trakpowers and a hyperion charger from BulldawgRC. i am very happy with their stuff. great company.
here is their link. i try to buy whatever i can from them because it saves me some moooolah!
http://www.BulldawgRC.com
Old 03-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE
Cause mrc chargers suck...... and lipos are sensitive to damage.
HAAAAA Watch your mouth!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I didn't see were my questions were answered. Is there another ESC that support HV batteries? Just would like to know.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nickmind
I didn't see were my questions were answered. Is there another ESC that support HV batteries? Just would like to know.

Thanks,
Nick
If you mean HV as in 4S, then check out MGM, Quark, BK, Schulze and some folks have used the new Tekin R1 Pro on 4S already.

You'll find a lot of them here:
http://www.rc-monster.com/brushlesscontrollers.php
Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nickmind
HAAAAA Watch your mouth!
Go swivel.....
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Nickmind: To answer you followup question on HV ESCs, I think there is a good variety of ESCs out there that can handle the voltage, but are not configured really for RC Car use, maybe plane use?

For what I have been seeing people use successfully in RC Car 1/8 conversions which commonly use a 14.8V setup, the Mamba Max ESC has been probably the most popular, even though it is NOT setup by default for more than 3S as it sits. You need to modify it slightly, either with rigging in a seperate UBEC and Fan to keep it cool, or as I have been reading up and seeing with one guys conversion, adding in extra capacitors external to the ESC (or maybe just 1 novak HV capacitor) and using the UBEC still. This adding of capacitors has allowed the guy I have been reading up on not to run a fan at all.

Castle should have a dedicated Monster Max ESC out soon, maybe next month I am thinking. This as it has been described should handle 6S no problem, and I think it won't require a fan either as well as no external UBEC.

Novaks HV line of escs is supposed to handle the high voltage, but some people had issues with thermalling when using them in 1/8 scale conversions. Novak has released changes that should address those issues to be coupled with the conversions for 1/8 scale buggies they are releasing. For more information on this if you are planning some really high voltage setup, you should give the 1/8 conversion thread a look. Lots of info in there that may be able to help you in your decisions.